Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2010   #1
cyclecamper

Frank's storage unit in Las Vegas

OK here's the story:

I was working at a software company and met Frank there. We both got riffed when the company had a change of misfortune and IBM bought their competitor. Long story, but the bottom line is that Frank was looking a long time and finally got a position with IBM recently, and moved, so he's looking to get rid of a GTA that's been in storage in Las Vegas.

My friend Frank is a perfectionist, many would say obsessive-compulsive. About 1990 he shopped extensively and picked up a nearly perfect like-new 1987 GTA which had 22K miles on it.

The car got broken into. He had the battery disconnected because he didn't drive it much. They used slide-hammers to pull both door locks and used a slide-hammer on the ignition lock. But it didn't start because the batery was disconnected. He had it towed to a storage locker there in Las Vegas immediately, where it's been for the last 10 years. They didn't damage the trunk lock, just pulled the door locks and steering column ignition lock. I don't know how much damage to either, but it sound like the doors are OK but the column may need something.

Becaue of my buddy Frank's OCD perfectionist nature and problems in our mainframe job market, the car never got back on the road. It still has 1998 Florida plates on it, and he'd have to get a new copy of the corresponding title which was in his name. He had difficulty personally dealing with feeling the car had been defiled by the presence of some ass-hole thieves, so he couldn't bring himself to work on it himself, and the economy and chance didn't allow him to pay to have a "proper" restoration repair done to meet his perfectionist criteria.

Nobody's seen it in 10 years. But this is what he told me, as of when it went into storage. He's paid far more for storage than it's worth, and he needs to stop paying the storage.

Fire red, tan velour interior. The velour is all perfect, looks like new. Both interior and exterior were perfect, with the interior always protected by towels and mats. Only imperfection (besides the lock damage): a teenise bit of spider-web in the paint on part of the wing (I don't know the details). Injected vette-type 5.7 350. WS6 suspension. Euro mirrors, whatever that means. LED digital dash. Some kind of Bose alarm system (I didn't know Bose made an alarm???). It is all original, inclduing the original 16" eagle tires which are pretty worn out. It has about 26,000 miles on it.

Since he's moved farther from Las Vegas he's thinking of giving it to a charity for the tax deduction, but I'm inclined to go look at it in the storage locker first. Stored in such an ideal dry climate I'll bet the engine and brake etc. are still good. But with 10 year old gas in it, that would need to be drained and teh injectors cleaned, fuel lines flushed.

All in all I'd say it's an incredible find, like finding a Vincent Black Shadow in a desert barn. I think this one needs to be saved. Have to move quickly though. I would nail this myself, but my own job situation is not good at the moment; my consulting contract to the County of LA ends in January and then I'm unemployed, so though I'd love this project I don't need a project and I really don't have the money or time to invest. But I could pay off the $250 past due on the storage locker and rescue it from Las Vegas to my driveway in Long Beach CA.

Sure would make a cool car for my daughters soneday. Maybe I hsould just go to Las Vegas and take a look at it...if the timing wasn't so bad and my job more secure I'd just take over the payments on the storage locker.

What do you think????
Old 11-26-2010   #2
cyclecamper

Frank's GTA in storage locker in Las Vegas

OK here's the story:

I was working at a software company and met Frank there. We both got riffed when the company had a change of misfortune and IBM bought their competitor. Long story, but the bottom line is that Frank was looking a long time and finally got a position with IBM recently, and moved, so he's looking to get rid of a GTA that's been in storage in Las Vegas.

My friend Frank is a perfectionist, many would say obsessive-compulsive. About 1990 he shopped extensively and picked up a nearly perfect like-new 1987 GTA which had 22K miles on it.

The car got broken into. He had the battery disconnected because he didn't drive it much. They used slide-hammers to pull both door locks and used a slide-hammer on the ignition lock. But it didn't start because the batery was disconnected. He had it towed to a storage locker there in Las Vegas immediately, where it's been for the last 10 years. They didn't damage the trunk lock, just pulled the door locks and steering column ignition lock. I don't know how much damage to either, but it sound like the doors are OK but the column may need something.

Becaue of my buddy Frank's OCD perfectionist nature and problems in our mainframe job market, the car never got back on the road. It still has 1998 Florida plates on it, and he'd have to get a new copy of the corresponding title which was in his name. He had difficulty personally dealing with feeling the car had been defiled by the presence of some ass-hole thieves, so he couldn't bring himself to work on it himself, and the economy and chance didn't allow him to pay to have a "proper" restoration repair done to meet his perfectionist criteria.

Nobody's seen it in 10 years. But this is what he told me, as of when it went into storage. He's paid far more for storage than it's worth, and he needs to stop paying the storage.

Fire red, tan velour interior. The velour is all perfect, looks like new. Both interior and exterior were perfect, with the interior always protected by towels and mats. Only imperfection (besides the lock damage): a teenise bit of spider-web in the paint on part of the wing (I don't know the details). Injected vette-type 5.7 350. WS6 suspension. Euro mirrors, whatever that means. LED digital dash. Some kind of Bose alarm system (I didn't know Bose made an alarm???). It is all original, inclduing the original 16" eagle tires which are pretty worn out. It has about 26,000 miles on it.

Since he's moved farther from Las Vegas he's thinking of giving it to a charity for the tax deduction, but I'm inclined to go look at it in the storage locker first. Stored in such an ideal dry climate I'll bet the engine and brake etc. are still good. But with 10 year old gas in it, that would need to be drained and teh injectors cleaned, fuel lines flushed.

All in all I'd say it's an incredible find, like finding a Vincent Black Shadow in a desert barn. I think this one needs to be saved. Have to move quickly though. I would nail this myself, but my own job situation is not good at the moment; my consulting contract to the County of LA ends in January and then I'm unemployed, so though I'd love this project I don't need a project and I really don't have the money or time to invest. But I could pay off the $250 past due on the storage locker and rescue it from Las Vegas to my driveway in Long Beach CA.

Sure would make a cool car for my daughters soneday. Maybe I hsould just go to Las Vegas and take a look at it...if the timing wasn't so bad and my job more secure I'd just take over the payments on the storage locker.

What do you think????
Old 11-26-2010   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Frank's storage unit in Las Vegas

Man that really sucks. Even if the battery was not disconnected, I doubt that the thief would have been able to move the car due too to the Vats ignition. Unless they had a set of keys with the 15 different Vats frequency's the car wouldn't have gone anywhere on its own. This GTA sounds like it just needs a little bit of TLC to get it back to very nice condition. Its funny because I happen to live in Las Vegas, and this would be an awesome car for my dad and I to work on together over the winter. If your friend wants the car gone, I would be happy to rescue it and give it an amazing loving home...

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 11-26-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2010   #4
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector

Let him go look at it, or at least, show some photos of the car.

George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
Old 11-26-2010   #5
merc3065

That could be really interesting to see what all is needed to get it running again.

Will need an ignition cylinder at the very least, some new gas and a fresh battery.

It is probably a Bose audio system, UQ7 option (subwoofer), not alarm.

Euro style mirrors is probably the paddle mirrors, they are break away style.

Digital dash

Its got a few unique options on it. Wonder if it has T-roof?
Old 11-27-2010   #6
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

I would have to go look at it myself. The curiosity would be too much.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
Old 11-27-2010   #7
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

Need to see some photos of the car.
Old 11-27-2010   #8
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989

Ditto.....If it's the real deal...Take the short trip, and take some pictures. The car as it sits, if real, will be worth alot more than the cost of the trip.
Old 11-28-2010   #9
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

This "story" has too much information......

Yumiko
Old 01-11-2011   #10
cyclecamper

OK it's still there, but won't be after Monday when the storage facility takes possession. Who wants to go have a look-see with me this weekend? I'm going to take pics and assess its condition. Frank gave the kid at the storage facility permission to open the locker and look. Tires (original) are flat and showing signs of dry-rot (worn out anyway). Kid says a radiator hose leaked and the fluid drained. I just want to take pictures for eBay. I'm putting up a grand in back storage fees and one more month, and Frank and I will split the proceeds at some percentage ratio. I'm inclined to list it here and on eBay. If anyone is serious, this weekend is the time to get serious, before I move it or pay more storage or eBay fees. Greg (562) 477-1193 gregorypinkowski@verizon.net This is a real survivor with really low miles and probably really good condition. A project with this much up-side doesn't come along very often. Let's go look-see.
Old 01-11-2011   #11
cyclecamper

It does not have t-roof.
Old 01-12-2011   #12
YumikoGTA

Please post your pictures of it here or if you put it on ebay, post the link.

Yumiko
Old 01-12-2011   #13
GTA88
Gary

GTA Year: 1988

The storage guy doesn't need to have permission to go in and soon it will be auctioned off. I have been buying storage units for years and actually work p/t for an auction company that auctions off storage units. Your better off tryn to get it cheaper at an auction then paying 1000 in back rent. Good luck.

1988 Pontiac GTA (A.K.A Scarlitt)
1989 GMC C3500 454 DUALLY (Daily Driver)
Old 01-12-2011   #14
YumikoGTA

I agree. After paying one thousand dollars for the overdue rent, you will probably lose money on this if you consider all the other expenses assocated with this. This car has been in that storage since 1990? Over twenty years of storage unit fees for what?

I think "Frank" waited too long.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 01-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2011   #15
cyclecamper

Back rent for storage is now about $650, they wanted about $800 to leave it there, including some future rent. Frank wants to protect his credit rating so he wants the storage paid. A worker at the storage place wants to buy it for the amount owed, strictly a transaction between owner and individual; he can still buy from Frank and so can I but they won't release it until they get paid. After Monday they can keep it and have a typical locker auction to the public, and we lose the option to buy from frank.

I'm not going to let it go to some locker worker for $650 or even a thou. If the paint's still good I think it's worth $2000 - $3000 as it sits and twice that if I make it run and make sure the oil seals on the valve guides didn't break down, brakes are still good, compression good, injectors and fuel pump etc. good, plus the door locks and ignition. Frank says the steering column should be OK, will have to see. But it needs tires right off the bat, and that's nearly a thou to start. I figure it needs $2000 to $3000 worth of work. But when its done right, if done well it's still worth more.

But there is some risk.

Last edited by cyclecamper; 01-14-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2011   #16
cyclecamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I agree. After paying one thousand dollars for the overdue rent, you will probably lose money on this if you consider all the other expenses assocated with this. This car has been in that storage since 1990? Over twenty years of storage unit fees for what?

I think "Frank" waited too long.

Yumiko
There is some risk. More like 12 years storage since late 1998, how did you get 20??
Old 01-14-2011   #17
cyclecamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
Even if the battery was not disconnected, I doubt that the thief would have been able to move the car due too to the Vats ignition. Unless they had a set of keys with the 15 different Vats frequency's the car wouldn't have gone anywhere on its own.
I don't think the '87 had any fancy anti-theft ignition, Frank says it just looks like an ordinary key. How would I tell? I don't know much about it, but that could increase the cost of repairing the ignition lock.
Old 01-14-2011   #18
cyclecamper

If I had three grand I would have some local shop do tires, battery, flush the tank and lines, injectors, fluids, and the locks and drive it home for 3600. But...if it doesn't pass emissions, a headlight doesn't open, antenna doesn't come up, the missing Bose subwoffer becomes a problem, or god forbid the LED dash doesn't work, injection ECU fails, etc. my costs could go up really fast. But I do trust Frank and believe it was perfect when it was parked and broken into.
Old 01-14-2011   #19
cyclecamper

I look at it this way, just the gold-spoke-look wheels were perfect, unscratched. They've got to be worth more than I'm paying for the car. With no rust, I think it's going to be easy to work on and worth saving.
Old 01-14-2011   #20
cyclecamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
Need to see some photos of the car.
Last photo was when it looked exaclty like the pic under your post. This weekend I will see what it looks like now.
Closed Thread