Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-19-2010   #1
heather
ieatz28's

I miss my car :(

My car has been in the shop since monday! They are barely working on it a little each day so now im just really getting frustrated. The fuel injectors needed cleaned out a little bit since it set up for 3 years, and needed the timing adjusted but i wouldnt think that would take a WEEK! I love my GTA. Im just about ready to go get it and work the kinks out myself! We have no good mechanic shops in our town though so i dont know why im griping about it, i figured this would happen anyway. I prefer the old-time mechanics, not the ones who spend 2 days trying to get my 1987 to read a computer. cuz it wouldnt lol I dont know, i just want my car back in my driveway, im tired of catching rides to work and everywhere else. But i still love my beautiful car
heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #2
budfreak1
stang stumper

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: I miss my car :(

I know how you feel. I ripped the exhaust off of mine in a steep driveway about 2 months ago and I still haven't gotten the money to fix it yet so I can drive it some more before winter. Plus I wanted to keep it with no cats on it, but that obviously isn't going to happen since I can't find a shop willing to do the exhaust work because none of them will touch a car with no cats on it. That just means I have to spend another $75 bucks and buy a cat for them to put on so I can finally get it fixed.

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #3
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

Tell me about it. I popped the motor in my car back on Memorial Day weekend, and it is STILL sitting there until I can afford to rebuild the motor.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #4
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Guys I can understand... I blew the motor in my GTA almost 3 years ago. About the time i think ive gathered a few bucks together, life finds a new place to spend it and not on my GTA.

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #5
heather
ieatz28's

Man, that sucks. We just put a glass pack on ours lol we need to do some work on the exhaust system. Its ghetto right now but sounds pretty awesome! We dont have cats on ours either. I wouldnt recommend putting them back on, we have had a couple vehicles that stopped up and blew the motor up. but they werent gta's so i dont give a damn bout them lol I definatly want to get mine out and down the road before too much longer, since they dont seem to like winter weather much. And if it even LOOKS like its gonna ice and snow im parking it and not getting anywhere around it! I will not have this beautiful car on ice! I hope you guys get yours going soon, its depressing looking at such nice cars and not being able to enjoy them
Old 09-20-2010   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

I can relate to a lot of the issues here, but I don't drive my cars a lot because.... well, I just don't drive them. That's the really sad part: nothing wrong with either of them, and still I just don't drive them.

Some kind of Site Administrator, huh?

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #7
merc3065

That's typical of most shops. If it's not your daily driver or some kind of specialty car with high value attached, its not worth their time to get it done the same day.

Its quite normal anywhere to get that kind of response time unless you have a dedicated mechanic or someone who cares. I had mine sit at a shop for 11 months, another time for 2 months and they worked on it when they had down time.

So...
Old 09-23-2010   #8
heather
ieatz28's

Well, this is about the 9th day they have had it in the shop and i am STEAMING MAD!!! I finally got fed-up with them telling me "it just wasnt running right just yet" so i went up there and waited around and talked to they guy. and guess what? He told me in not so many words that he wasnt sure if i could pay the total amount the same day it was finished! That is why they werent "in a hurry to get it done" OMG i went completely off!! The bill at this point is 389.99 I let the guy know that i couldnt pay him until he fixed my car. duh. why would i worry bout paying them until the service i requested was finished???? I was at my breaking point all day. I have been patient for 9 days while they werent worried about my car. Then my aunt called me and said the guy called my car a piece of crap and said i should have kept a car i had before that...a freakin' Ford Thunderbird. so not only is this shop personally offensive, they are incompetent! I love my GTA and i am personally offended and extremely upset. The shop i have it in is called Pocahontas Tire and Auto. so, if ya live in pocahontas ar, PLEASE dont take your car there lol i just learned my first and last lesson on taking my car to a mechanic shop. we have always worked on them ourselves, and this shows that we will continue that. My whole family consists of mechanics, i was just trying to save my family members and boyfriend labor and work by taking it to shop, so much for that. ill never do it again! Sorry this was so long people, im just really upset and my car is very important to me....
Old 09-23-2010   #9
budfreak1
stang stumper

Sorry to hear that and good luck with it, it sounds like a shop full of Ford lovin' rednecks to me who I wouldn't let near my Pontiac if my life depended on it. When you pick it up make sure you leave a nice posi mark across their parking lot as you leave lol.
I actually have good news for my GTA. I found a shop to fix my exhaust without cats! My GTA will be back in action next week!

My Cardomain
Old 09-23-2010   #10
heather
ieatz28's

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1 View Post
Sorry to hear that and good luck with it, it sounds like a shop full of Ford lovin' rednecks to me who I wouldn't let near my Pontiac if my life depended on it. When you pick it up make sure you leave a nice posi mark across their parking lot as you leave lol.
I actually have good news for my GTA. I found a shop to fix my exhaust without cats! My GTA will be back in action next week!
oh cool, im so glad to hear its gonna be back on the road! Yea, when i leave their shop today im going to make sure everyone there knows how pissed i am! Im a girl, but i know a hell of alot about cars and i know they havent been working on mine. Its a serious insult for them to keep my car and not do shit to it. Well screw a Ford, i love my pontiac. Im glad you dont have to put the converter back on yours, they are actually just more trouble than anything! Like i said i just have a glass pack lol but i need to get it fixed pretty soon. This is going to end up costing me alot, so it might be awhile on the exhaust.
Old 09-23-2010   #11
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Can't really be of much help to you, Heather. My cars only go to shops that have GM/Pontiac signs hanging outside.

That's not to say I would not use a reputable local mechanic for them if I found one that I trusted enough. Hope you get everything straightened out soon.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #12
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

It really sucks finding shops you can trust. In Wisconsin I had a body shop that did absolutely phenomenal work every time, and a local mechanic who I would not hesitate leaving my car with. Now I moved away and I have to start all over again. I think I found a very nice body shop, now I just need to find a mechanic. I will probably go the dealership route like frankie (there is actually still a pontiac/buick dealer here!) They will be more expensive, but I dont have to worry about shady work.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #13
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

I would cut your losses and pull the car out, for the price your paying now you could have bought a timming gun and new set of injectors and would only take you 1-2 hours to do the work yourself.
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #14
heather
ieatz28's

Yea, i totally regret not doing it myself. I was trying to me patient these past couple weeks but i snapped the other day on them lol so i think they are actually working on it now. they said they have the timing straight, a new fuel pump in, and they want to replace the plugs and plug wires. I dont really think they need to be replaced they are just fouled out. They could probably take them out and clean them but oh well. ill just let them replace them cuz i think the spark plug wires do need to be changed, its doing alot of backfiring so they had pulled the distributor cap off and looked around that are and seen that everything was ok there. and it didnt jump time, so thats good. So, i called yesterday after noon and they said "your not gonna believe this but we had to order your spark plug wires" BULLSHIT. I called 3 parts stores and they have the ones i need! ugh!!!! Why did they choose to do this crap to me? No its starting to get get cool and i wanted to drive it alot before it got freezing ass cold outside! Nothing will EVER make me put my car in the shop again. Now i know what 'professional' mechanics are like. We have never worked on cars longer than a couple days and we always get them fixed up. This is just a bunch of crap. Btw this is the third week they have had my car. I just really dont have the money to pull it out or the time.
Old 09-29-2010   #15
heather
ieatz28's

AND, everybody keeps calling my car a piece of crap, and it makes me cry. because i know that it isnt....
Old 09-29-2010   #16
budfreak1
stang stumper

Just ignore haters. They are just jealous that you have a unique automobile and they drive a minivan or a civic lol.

My Cardomain
Old 09-29-2010   #17
heather
ieatz28's

Ok people! My car is back home with me!!! OMG i missed it soooo much. im posting more pics tomorrow. some of the engine and others of the interior. The shop ended up charging me 500 dollars for repairs. Guess what it needed? a fuel pump, and plugs and plug wires! duh. we could have done that here at home for under 120 dollars and under 3 hours! But it took the 'professionals' 3 weeks and 500 bucks. yep, i totally learned my lesson. never again. Im going to drive the shit out of my car tomorrow, cuz there is this comaro that keeps testing me driving up and down my street just wanting to get his ass handed to him lol (kidding) i dont hot-rod it, not so soon after its been away from me!
Old 09-30-2010   #18
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

If it runs good just be happy they only charged you $500.

Well injoy the car in the mean time
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #19
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

500 for swaping the pump and the other work doesnt sound to bad. The pump by itself is close to 100 and the labor to put it in is where it hurts. Thats a several hour job alone. Like Tony said if it seems to run correct now drive it silly
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #20
heather
ieatz28's

a fuel pump cost $57. and its a 2 hour job! Thats ok, im driving it! Im bout go right now cuz nobody in this town has a car like mine! And it looks beautiful on the road!