Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 08-25-2010   #1
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Meguiars NXT 2.0 Liquid Wax

I bought some of this stuff to try out on my GTA and I can report back that it is the best $18 (including tax) I have ever spent on the car. I have never used a wax before, I always used a paint sealant. It went on very easy with the foam applicator pad, and wasn't too bad coming off. It made my GTA look like a million bucks, the black is so deep and reflective I cant stop going out to look at it when I go downstairs lol. Not only did it restore deep black color that was missing, it filled in 90% of the swirl marks that bugged me every time I took the car out. The paint looks deep, wet, and is smooth as glass even in direct sun light! This is the best my GTA has ever looked in my care! I highly recommend this stuff, I will use nothing but meguiars NXT 2.0 from now on!

Just a quick snap I took to show off the gloss

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #2
wilkink

Re: Meguiars NXT 2.0 Liquid Wax

For some reason I can't see the picture, but I am very intrigued by this. You said you applied it with the foam applicator pad, did it come with the package? Did you use a buffer? From the way you sound, it seems like a great product. May have to do this to my car before the winter gets here.
wilkink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

that's weird you cant see the picture, I just have it hosted on photobucket. Anyways yes, it is very very good stuff. It comes with a foam applicator pad, and it smells really good too. I did it all by hand and as soon as I started wiping it off the car i noticed a night and day difference in the clarity and color quality of the paint. Before in the sun the paint was almost kinda gayish up close, now its just deep black and glossy! It doesn't leave any white residue either when you wipe it off which I found extremely nice!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 08-26-2010   #4
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

Car looks great as always.
Old 08-26-2010   #5
bimmerzhp

Car looks great. I think NXT is a sealant with some light polishing agents in it. I do not think there is any carnauba wax in the product. What sealants have you used in the past?
bimmerzhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #6
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

NXT2.0 is a sealant and as you have discovered does a great job of filling and hiding fine swirls and scratches. I top it with a coat of Meguiars Gold Class Plus carnauba wax to bring out the depth. Even though the shine is great I find that my paint (black like yours) didn't seem as deep-looking as before. Check out the Meguiars forum and you'll find many people doing this.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #7
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Thanks for the compliments guys! I may try to use the carnuba and NXT wax together in the future. Its hard to imagine the shine getting any better than it is! If you hold a open book over my hood, you can read the text in the reflection lol... The sealant I used before is called Liquid glass . Liquid glass is still really good stuff, but its $22 and doesn't produce as nice of a finish. My dad has been using it for the past 20+ years so the formula isn't new age either lol.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 08-26-2010   #8
bimmerzhp

Old school!
Old 08-26-2010   #9
wilkink

Picture is working now for me. Car looks incredible. Anyone know if this helps with faded paint? If it does, I think it may have me sold.
Old 08-26-2010   #10
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

As usual, it looks EXTREMELY GOOD! ( We still need a drool smiley,lol). Anywho, I agree with that Liquid Glass. Its as hard as nails. My brother-n-law used it for years on his old Nova, and when he went to remove the old paint he said it was like trying to remove the old paint from concrete. I seem to remember it taking him weeks to finally remove it all.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #11
bimmerzhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkink View Post
Picture is working now for me. Car looks incredible. Anyone know if this helps with faded paint? If it does, I think it may have me sold.
Depends what you mean by faded. Try color-X. Read this works with faded paint but you will need a buffer to correct the paint.
Old 08-26-2010   #12
Steveh4263

For faded paint would use Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound. It can be applied by had or buffer and follow up with Meguiars M205 Ultra Finish Polish. I believe autogeek still has it on sale. http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mir...-compound.html http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html
Old 08-26-2010   #13
bimmerzhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
For faded paint would use Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound. It can be applied by had or buffer and follow up with Meguiars M205 Ultra Finish Polish. I believe autogeek still has it on sale. http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mir...-compound.html http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html
I mentioned Color-X since I was not sure of this persons experience with polishing. Cannot go wrong with that combo.
Old 08-26-2010   #14
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

Ultimate Compound would be a good choice or if the fading isn't severe you could use Deep Crystal Pre-Wax Cleaner as well (step 1 in their 3 step process). Unfortunately this has been discontinued but you can still find it at some outlets and on ebay. I also used Liquid Glass for several years and after having some paint & body work done back in 2002 my bodyman chewed me out for using it. It's apparently VERY difficult to remove and really meant for fiberglass cars (i.e. Corvettes). Whether that's true or not I started trying different products and found the Meguiars and haven't looked back.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #15
wilkink

First off, sorry to hijack the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
If done by hand, would it still have the same result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Ultimate Compound would be a good choice or if the fading isn't severe you could use Deep Crystal Pre-Wax Cleaner as well (step 1 in their 3 step process). Unfortunately this has been discontinued but you can still find it at some outlets and on ebay. I also used Liquid Glass for several years and after having some paint & body work done back in 2002 my bodyman chewed me out for using it. It's apparently VERY difficult to remove and really meant for fiberglass cars (i.e. Corvettes). Whether that's true or not I started trying different products and found the Meguiars and haven't looked back.
I actually bought Ultimate Compound and I used it on my decklid and looked horrible. I had to do something wrong. But I have a little bit left that I may have to try before I venture into something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzhp View Post
I mentioned Color-X since I was not sure of this persons experience with polishing. Cannot go wrong with that combo.
The only experience I have with either polishing or waxing is applying Nu-Finish a few times by hand.
Old 08-27-2010   #16
Steveh4263

It would have the same result. Nu finish is supposed to bring back dull paint. I have never tried it.
Old 08-27-2010   #17
bimmerzhp

Call Meguiars and ask them for thier advice. Real nice customer service.
Old 08-27-2010   #18
Steveh4263

Meguiars also has a forum on there web site.
Old 08-28-2010   #19
89-5.7GTA
Tony

GTA Year: 1989

Did you use the paste or liquid?
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #20
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I just got done washing the car after driving it to school the whole week and I am still very impressed with this stuff! The car baked in the sun a good 8 hours each day and was covered in dust and a little dirt, but after I washed it the paint was just as smooth and was just as deep and reflective as the day I waxed it last week. The water beaded up and glided off beautifully! Usually when I wash the car I cant get off all the water spots because the water here is so full of different minerals and stuff. Today the paint was soo smooth all the water spots just wiped right off no problem. I wish I would have tried this stuff earlier because the car looks the best it ever has! I even used this stuff on my black 1:18 GTA model and it made the paint look on that look almost as good as on my real thing! those of you with these know the paint is a little dull on them out of the box..

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK