Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-22-2010   #1
Petsadog

87 GTA Question

So I bought an 87 GTA this past weekend. The original window sticker - build sheet and SPI came with the car. Listed on the build sheet is the Y84 Package consisting of: 5.7 liter v8 tpi, etc. The car also has the cc1 (t-tops) option. The SPI also lists the Y84.
The problem I'm having is that the VIN list "F" in the 8th position denoting a 5.0 liter engine instead of the "8" denoting the 5.7 liter. Any ideas as to why I have the F instead of the 8? This is my first GTA so I may be a little slow. Thanks.
Petsadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #2
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 87 GTA Question

The GTA (Y84) came standard with the 350/5.7L. However, the GTA could be ordered with the 305/5.0L, as an option, which would be a credit.

I'm going to guess that you may not have the actual build sheet as the actual build sheet would not state what the GTA consists of. The build sheet is specific to the VIN and only contains information about the vehicle itself. The build sheet would list Y84, if your car has it (and it apparently does), and it would state Y84 is the GTA package, but it would not state what the GTA package consists of. Instead, I think you may have some dealership material that is not specific your VIN.

Your F vin is a 305/5.0L.

In 1988, you could not get the CC1 factory T-tops with the 350/5.7L. In 1987, in the Canadian market, they could get the 350/5.7L with the CC1 factory T-tops. GTA Member Wes has one. In 1989, you could get the CC1 factory T-tops and the 350/5.7L in the US market.

There are some 1987 and 1988s with aftermarket T-Tops and 350s.
Old 07-22-2010   #3
ThunderChicken
Hoarder

Welcome to the site! I have a 5.0 liter GTA with T-tops from the factory. Slow they are not. They're not QUITE as perky as a 5.7, but depending on manual or auto, they can be just as much fun as a 5.7.

Got any photos??

Click here for Firebird Fest of the Carolinas Information!!
ThunderChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #4
Petsadog

Thanks for the responses.
The guy I bought the car from included paperwork from anytime he had the car serviced. Even though the VIN indicates a 5.0, the service records indicate a 5.7. So... if the window sticker indicates a 5.0 credit, then the car was ordered with the 5.0?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87 TA GTA 1.jpg (81.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 87 TA GTA 2.jpg (82.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-22-2010   #5
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

If the 8th character of your VIN is a "F", the car originally came with a 5.0L/305TPI engine. No ifs, ands or buts.

Since you have the SPID sticker on the inside of the center console, you should also see an LB9 code on that SPID sticker to indicate 5.0L/305 TPI.
Old 07-22-2010   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

One of the big issues is that some of these cars have had many different owners over the life time of the car, and you can never be so sure what has been done to the car that was not that way when it was new. As I think someone mentioned, the t-tops could have been added by someone after the car was sold originally. Another very real possibility is that the documents that support the car are not the original ones to the car, as someone else had stated previously. 100% sure that the "F" in your car vin means it has the 305 engine, but if not then it means that the engine was changed to the 350 sometime later by an owner.

Also I think GTA package did not specifically state a 350 engine, because a GTA could come with either the 305 or 350 engine. The GTA package did not specifically indicate the 350 engine. I think what it did indicate was the equipment that is optional in all other models was standard equipment in the GTA and all of the GTA specific emblems including the GTA horn button in the 1987 and very few in the 1988. All of the standard equipment that came in the GTA like the WS-6 suspension, special articulating front seats, gold 16 inch gold rims, wrap around aerospoiler, and maybe the 140 mph speedometer and 8,000 rpm tachometer were all available as special options in the other models but was standard equipments in the GTA. The only items that you could not get as special options on the other models other then the GTA were the GTA emblems and horn button.That is all that I have been lead to believe about it. Maybe someone who really knows this information can confirm that this is or is not true. No one could just order just the emblems as an option. If they wanted the option for the GTA emblems, they had to get the GTA model. Fender vents were also a factor too. No one could order a GTA with the Trans Am fender vents. Paint schemes were also interesting. The GTA was a solid color, but Trans Ams were two tone. I am unsure of the specific information about that however.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-22-2010 at 11:49 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #7
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Yumiko, the GTA package, on the order form, did indeed state B2L (350/5.7) engine package as standard. However, you could delete that for the LB9 for a credit.

In addition, Trans Ams could be had in solid colors both in 1987 (year the GTA was introduced) as well as 1988+. The following order sheet shows that the Trans AM could come in solid colors. I actually own an all white 1988 Trans AM:

As far as the 16" gold wheels, you could not order a Trans AM with those wheels until 1991 and 1992 on the Trans Am Convertible. Prior to this, they were a "GTA" only item.
Old 07-23-2010   #8
YumikoGTA

That is really great information. I do not know about the engine coding though. The only 350 engine code for 1987 GTAs I thought was L98, I do not understand the code "B2L" . I have no idea what "FI" means. I see it says 5.7 liter FI V8. I just looked on my GTA RPO sticker and it has both L98 and B2L. What are the differences of these two things if they are for the same engine size?

And about the exterior paint, from that document, it looks as though GTAs only had a solid exterior color as I thought it was, no two tone color scheme for GTA.

Would this information be the same for the 1987? I notice that this document is for 1988.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-23-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2010   #9
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Hi Yumiko, there is debate about the B2L and L98, but to put it simple, they are both 350 engines. Some of Pontiac's documents refer to the 350 as the "B2L", for example:

You can see that B2L and L98 are both RPO codes for the 350.

FI is short for Fuel Injected

You are correct that the GTA was only made available in solid colors. The Trans Am was also available in solid colors, as well as two-tone in some years.

The previously posted order sheet is for 1988. There is a sheet for each year and they do slightly change. In fact, there is usually several printing/revisions per year to those sheets. The above one is the 3rd print which means there was two different, previous, versions, for 1988.
Old 07-23-2010   #10
Petsadog

Great information. Thanks for all of the details. This helps me out a ton. The guy I bought the car from believed it was a 5.7 because of the window sticker. After more investigation, I found that he had the service techs change the work order sheets to 5.7 from 5.0 anytime the car went in for service. I believe the engine is the original 5.0. I will be having the car mechanically restored this winter and I will know for sure.
Now - does anyone have a link for interior pieces (my driver's seat has a nice rip in it).
Old 07-23-2010   #11
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

what does the speedo read, I think the 5.7 went to 140 if im correct
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #12
moddman

yes i think you are correct.speedo goes to 140 with 5.7
stock.1 of 952
canadian production
moddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #13
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

So does the 305 LB9/Auto with the 3.27 gears as does the 305 LB9/M5 with 3.45 gears. Both of which would come with the GTA.

If the VIN is "F", there really is no dispute that the original engine was an LB9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87bucketgta View Post
what does the speedo read, I think the 5.7 went to 140 if im correct
Old 07-23-2010   #14
YumikoGTA

Thank you for all of this great information and documentation Jeremy. These are documents that I never have seen before about GTAs. It is interesting to me that they put both codes on the RPO sticker for the same engine. But I guess they do that because since they have some documents stating one code and other documents stating the other code, they simply put on both codes so no matter what code is on documents, they can see either of the codes on the RPO sticker to indicate the 350/5.7 engine.

Yumiko
Old 07-23-2010   #15
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT View Post
So does the 305 LB9/Auto with the 3.27 gears as does the 305 LB9/M5 with 3.45 gears. Both of which would come with the GTA.

If the VIN is "F", there really is no dispute that the original engine was an LB9.
Your right wasnt reading fully
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #16
gorin002
GM Enthusiast

only nice trans am

in 1988 came steering control
was that on all trans ams or only gtas
to control radio and other functions on the steering control
gorin002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #17
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Yumiko, may I ask, did you order your GTA or did you buy it already pre-ordered by the dealer? Did you get to take any sort of documents, order forms, literature, during the process?
Old 07-23-2010   #18
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT View Post
Yumiko, may I ask, did you order your GTA or did you buy it already pre-ordered by the dealer? Did you get to take any sort of documents, order forms, literature, during the process?
About the ordering, I saw the GTA in the dealership and so I stopped and was looking at it. I wanted it and they let me test drive it with one of the representatives. It took about two weeks for me to actually buy the car because I was trying to talk my parents into allowing me to buy it. At that time, the guys at the dealership was telling me that there was another person interested in the same car. But they said that if that person buys it before I do, that they could get another one for me if I decided to buy it. They asked me all of the things I wanted and I listed everything. I am not 100% sure if the car that I originally saw in the dealership on that first day was the actual GTA that I did purchase, because of that other person wanting to purchase the same car.

As for the documents, I only have a few of them, but I did not really think that I would have this car more then five years at that time, so I really did not keep too many documents. Also this was my very first car in my life that I had so I really did not know too much about keeping some of the documents. The only important documents that I remembered that I was keeping at first was the warrentee documents, business cards of the guy who sold it to me, owners manual, certificate of ownership, insurance paperwork and registration card. That was all that mattered to me at that time because at that time, I was only concerned with keeping documents that I needed in order to drive my GTA. Unfortunate because now I wish that I would have kept some of the documents. But like I said, I would have never imagined in a million years that I would still have this GTA even five years after I purchased it. Now it seems that a lot of these documents are more important now then they were when my GTA was new. I wish that I would have known that back then.....

Yumiko
Old 07-24-2010   #19
YumikoGTA

During the first four years that I owned my GTA (1987 - 1991) I had moved a total of five times. So some of my GTA documents that I did keep at that time, some of them got misplaced and thrown away during that time as well. I really did not start to keep really good documentation of my GTA until the end of 1991 and start of 1992. In 1994 I almost threw away the RPO sticker from my GTA. But my friend who worked at the GM Dealership told me it was important for the car, so at the last minute I took it back out of the trash and saved it. Now....I am glad I did not throw that document away.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-24-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2010   #20
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Hi Yumiko. Since you've owned your car since new, and have completely rebuilt it, did you find the build sheet for your car?