Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-28-2010   #1
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

GTA Authenticity Question

OK...so I looked at the '89 GTA this weekend but as luck would have it the tag wasn't in the console. The gold firebird insignia was on the pouch on the dahs and the GTA emblems are on the car with the exception of the driver's headlight door which was replaced due to front end body damage. The body was recently repainted and the emblems are not in the right places.

The VIN # is as follows:

1G2FW2181KL211917

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this car. It's in great shape and has been in storage for a few years now. It does need some little things but overall the car is sound and in good shape for the year.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Bri

NYFBodyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #2
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: GTA Authenticity Question

Well I know that GTAs had "GTA" stitched into the map pocket, not the firebird logo. I think that if it has the ultima seats, no fender vents, gold bird on the back, and GTA emblems its safe to say its a GTA.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #3
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

There are no fender vents on the car. The emblem on the nose is gold and the emblem is between the taillights in the rear as well as on the sail panels and the fenders, even though they aren't placed right. I'm not happy the option sticker is gone out of the console though.

Bri

Old 06-28-2010   #4
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Well atleast it is a ta, kinda hard to tell past that if its got all the other goodies most people dont know to do the gold bird in the taillight. Does is have ws6? I think 89 the sticker was in the back of the lockable trunk thingie. I could be wrong on that.
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #5
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Only other way is to find the build sheet which is hit and miss all u need to see is the good ole Y84
Old 06-28-2010   #6
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

That's what I was looking for. I can't find the Y84 code anywhere. it does WS6 caps on the gold wheels but of course they could have been added after the fact too.

Bri

Old 06-28-2010   #7
Y84
Administrator

Actually, not all GTAs had the GTA stitched into the map pocket.

Quote:
Here is the dash pocket on one of our 1988 cars. Now this may not always say "GTA" like the one in the photo, but I have never seen a GTA with a dash pocket that said "Trans Am" on it. That was what threw up the red flag for me in the afore-mentioned 1992 GTA Convertible I was offered; all GTAs should either say "GTA" like the above shot or feature the gold Firebird emblem on the pocket. Personally I have seen cars equipped either way. The earlier cars (1987-88) will have the embroidered "GTA" logo pocket, and the later models (1989-92) will feature the gold Firebird emblem. The right photo is from a '91 GTA; during the years to style of pocket changed, but the logo featured on the front RH side did not. These dash pockets are not widely available anymore through normal used parts channels, so this might be a strike in your favor if the car has the incorrect style....
Source:http://www.gtasourcepage.com/newauthentication.html

NYFBodyfan, as to if the vehicle is a GTA or not, the only way to know for certain is if the Y84 RPO code is present on the SPID. If the SPID is missing, as you indicate, you can order a package from GM:
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=50539

The package will not contain all of the RPO codes, nor a copy of the SPID, but it will tell you if the vehicle is a GTA or not.

The SPID would have been on the inside wall of the center console, not the left-rear locking luggage area, for the 1989 model year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
Well I know that GTAs had "GTA" stitched into the map pocket, not the firebird logo. I think that if it has the ultima seats, no fender vents, gold bird on the back, and GTA emblems its safe to say its a GTA.
Y84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #8
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

Oh sweet Y84!!! Thanks a million for the info. I'm ordering it now!

Bri

Old 06-29-2010   #9
EODsmitty

GTA Year: 1989

My 89 has/had the firebird map pocket. But I have since repalced it with a GTA one!

Smitty
Old 06-29-2010   #10
cody1989GTA
89' 350 TPI mustang killer

it does have the L98 engine which is a plus, didnt come standard for the 89 T/a. But only as a option. It sound like the invoice is the best bet, keep updated. Thunderchickens GTA had misplaced emblems and her came out as a GTA so I wouldnt get to down about the emblems

Flame Red Metallic
350 TPI
Leather seats
4 speed auto
cody1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #11
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

By all means don't get down. Most of these cars have had many stops by now and probably show a little bit of each one in its condition.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #12
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Exactly!!! Not to many of these cars that havent had alittle paint or something done to them at one time or another. If you find one that isnt just a dog bed its a good find.
Old 06-30-2010   #13
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

Well, I can tell you, the repaint on this car is scary. The emblems weren't even reattached evenly. They are crooked and the whole car needs to be taken back down to bare metal to start over completely and make it right.

Bri

Old 06-30-2010   #14
GTA50

Here is the link to compnine to save you a few dollars. Just type in your vin and it should give you a list of the rpo's and you can verifyif Y84 is on the list for your car.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #15
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

That's weird. It says that VIN does not exist. Now I'm wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post
Here is the link to compnine to save you a few dollars. Just type in your vin and it should give you a list of the rpo's and you can verifyif Y84 is on the list for your car.

Bri

Old 06-30-2010   #16
Y84
Administrator

This option does not work for NYFBodyfan. I tried his VIN and it came up with no results. Thus why I suggested he order the GM package.

Reason why it doesn't work in this case is their site only has 1990 and newer US VINs for the Thirdgen; unless the vehicle is Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50 View Post

Y84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #17
cody1989GTA
89' 350 TPI mustang killer

that vin site didnt work for mine either and i ordered the package that Y84 is saying to do and found out that myn was a GTA that way. The only way to be sure!

Flame Red Metallic
350 TPI
Leather seats
4 speed auto
cody1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #18
GTA50

The stupid thing about the whole issue is that GM Canada maintained the records from 1980 on, so I have verified both of my GTA's - even though I don't have the SPID sticker for either.

In the US, it is quite "hit-and-miss". The funny thing is that if I go to compnine, I get a vehicle and vin unknown, then get a full list of the proper rpo's.

From TGO, it seems that Camaro owners get a much better success rate. Makes me wonder if perhaps Chevrolet did better record keeping than Pontiac. So, perhaps some of the discrepancy is not just GM related but division related.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #19
NYFBodyfan
My Eleanor

here are some pics that I snapped showing the various GTA exclusive options my car has...input is welcome on what y'all think.

Bri

Old 07-01-2010   #20
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

I know those Gold WS6 center caps are hard to get. There like gold and so are the wheels. I have a 87 and I don't have the dimples and my center caps have the Friebird in them. Did the 87's have the WS6 center caps as well as the firebird center caps?