Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010   #1
90 L98 TransAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 457


1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

I just got the following 1990 firebird production info from okfoz who is a moderator at TGO:

"The 1900 number is from PHS (Pontiac Historical Service)

Frankie's numbers are for US sales only...

According to PHS there were 20,553 Firebirds made For 1990...

838 Formula 350's
1002 GTA 350's
57 Trans Am 350's


353 Formula LB9,MM5
123 GTA LB9,M5
119 Trans Am LB9/M5

Add them up and you actually get 1897, which I think is actually the correct number"


I had never been able to find a breakdown of each engine option that went into the different firebird models (GTA/TA/Formula) before.

I always figured there were no more than a few hundred of the 1990 base TAs made with the L98/350. So I'm pretty stoked to find that they only made 57. That's only 3.00%!!!!!!!!!
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

WOW!!
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #3
90 L98 TransAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 457


Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

If those numbers are correct it means 407 non-US 1990 GTAs were made with the L98/350.
__________________
Vortech V-3 SC, 11+ psi boost
0 - 60 in 5.40 Seconds
1/4 mile in 13.9 seconds @ 103 mph @ 5,000' elevation, 309 HP (per Escort GT-2 meter)
Shift kit, 9 clutch 3/4, Corvette servo
Magnaflow 16829 catback exhaust
TDS fr. sway bar bushings and end links. Wonderbar
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #4
Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 318


Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

hmm lol
__________________
*I'm also known as "90BlackGTA" over at ThirdGen.Org*
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #5
GTA88
Gary
 
GTA88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Hartford
Posts: 217



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

Does anyone know about the 1988 numbers?
GTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #6
90 L98 TransAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 457


Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

There is some 1988 info here (GTA Source Page) under RPO Option Figures.

Also check out the sticky by OKFOZ under Documentation/Research on the TGO forums.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #7
90 L98 TransAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 457


Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

OK - just got this update on production infomation:

".....1990 is the only year that I can actually get you an exact number... 1991 & 1992 are close to being complete, and 1982-1989 is Canadian exported cars only..."

Looks like I lucked out!
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #8
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC
 
strc09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Linden, NC
Posts: 1,405



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 L98 TransAm View Post
I just got the following 1990 firebird production info from okfoz who is a moderator at TGO:

"The 1900 number is from PHS (Pontiac Historical Service)

Frankie's numbers are for US sales only...

According to PHS there were 20,553 Firebirds made For 1990...

838 Formula 350's
1002 GTA 350's
57 Trans Am 350's


353 Formula LB9,MM5
123 GTA LB9,M5
119 Trans Am LB9/M5

Add them up and you actually get 1897, which I think is actually the correct number"


I had never been able to find a breakdown of each engine option that went into the different firebird models (GTA/TA/Formula) before.

I always figured there were no more than a few hundred of the 1990 base TAs made with the L98/350. So I'm pretty stoked to find that they only made 57. That's only 3.00%!!!!!!!!!
So how many of those Formula 350s are US cars? My wife has a 1990 Gunmetal two-tone delete Formula 350 that we've been holding on to. I'm pretty sure it is a lot rarer than my GTA, but I'd like to get a better idea. The Formula Source sucks as far as information goes. They have nothing compared to the GTA Source Page.
__________________
-Patrick

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #9
90 L98 TransAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 457


Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by strc09 View Post
So how many of those Formula 350s are US cars? My wife has a 1990 Gunmetal two-tone delete Formula 350 that we've been holding on to. I'm pretty sure it is a lot rarer than my GTA, but I'd like to get a better idea. The Formula Source sucks as far as information goes. They have nothing compared to the GTA Source Page.
If Gunmetal GTAs are rare, your Gunmetal Formula is almost certainly rare also especially in a short production year.

I'm not familiar with Formula sites but this is OKFOZ's site and he seems to be pretty knowlegable (and helpful).


http://www.3rdgenformula.com/main_menu.htm
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #10
JeremyT
Notchback Collector
 
JeremyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 385



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

If the following RPO codes are correct:
l98,w66,87U

There was only 52 of them built.

None of the 52 went to Canada, or atleast none of those 52 have the Z49 Canadian Export RPO code. Of those 52, 2 of them have the EXP RPO code. None have the MAE Export RPO code.

John would know more as he's the Formula guy, but hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strc09 View Post
So how many of those Formula 350s are US cars? My wife has a 1990 Gunmetal two-tone delete Formula 350 that we've been holding on to. I'm pretty sure it is a lot rarer than my GTA, but I'd like to get a better idea. The Formula Source sucks as far as information goes. They have nothing compared to the GTA Source Page.
__________________
JT
http://www.gtanotchback.com
JeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #11
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC
 
strc09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Linden, NC
Posts: 1,405



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 L98 TransAm View Post
If Gunmetal GTAs are rare, your Gunmetal Formula is almost certainly rare also especially in a short production year.

I'm not familiar with Formula sites but this is OKFOZ's site and he seems to be pretty knowlegable (and helpful).


http://www.3rdgenformula.com/main_menu.htm
Thanks for the info. I'll shoot him an e-mail.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT View Post
If the following RPO codes are correct:
l98,w66,87U

There was only 52 of them built.

None of the 52 went to Canada, or atleast none of those 52 have the Z49 Canadian Export RPO code. Of those 52, 2 of them have the EXP RPO code. None have the MAE Export RPO code.

John would know more as he's the Formula guy, but hope that helps.
Where did you find the number 52, Jeremy? Is John...OKFOZ? Thanks.
__________________
-Patrick

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #12
JeremyT
Notchback Collector
 
JeremyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 385



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

Patrick, the information comes from Compnine.com They appear to have complete records for the 1990 model year Third Gens. 1991 and 1992 are nearly complete. Any older model years are currently confined to Canadian exports.

Go to http://www.compnine.com/rpocheck.php to run RPO codes per model/model year.

Yes, the John I refer to is okfoz on ThirdGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strc09 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll shoot him an e-mail.




Where did you find the number 52, Jeremy? Is John...OKFOZ? Thanks.
__________________
JT
http://www.gtanotchback.com
JeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #13
southgta
F-Body Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 552


Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

So if I had a chance to buy a 1990 Formula 350 it would be a good buy?
southgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #14
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgta View Post
So if I had a chance to buy a 1990 Formula 350 it would be a good buy?
In the midst of looking for something on TGO, I noticed that there was one for sale( I think it was a 90 model )
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #15
GTA88
Gary
 
GTA88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Hartford
Posts: 217



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

How do I go about finding info on the 88's? I have looked everywhere and found nada.
__________________
Gary, Jamie & Scarlitt

1988 Pontiac GTA (A.K.A Scarlitt)
1989 GMC C3500 454 DUALLY (Daily Driver)
GTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #16
JeremyT
Notchback Collector
 
JeremyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 385



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1990 GTA/TA/Formula Production Information

The information is not publicly available for ThirdGens older than 1990 that aren't Canadian - beyond what Frankie has here on his website.

If the vehicle is Canadian (RPO code Z49) that is a different story as that information is publicly available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA88 View Post
How do I go about finding info on the 88's? I have looked everywhere and found nada.
__________________
JT
http://www.gtanotchback.com
JeremyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1990 GTA production numbers Knight_RiderGTA GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH 8 02-22-2010 11:43 AM
1990 Pontiac Full Line Brochures for sale mr.turbota GTA PARTS FOR SALE 4 11-11-2009 06:58 PM
1990 GTA 383 Stroker FiXX646 GTA CARS FOR SALE 2 09-15-2007 08:09 PM
How Rare is my 1990 GTA? Josh GTA NON-TECH 6 08-01-2007 11:04 AM
88 gta information center ehan1116 GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH 0 05-13-2002 06:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.