Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > NON-GTA SPECIFIC > GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA)

GENERAL DISCUSSION (NON-GTA) Use this forum to discuss topics of a more general nature.... it can be auto-related on not. Your choice. But above all, please be adult and responsible in your postings.

Old 04-06-2010   #1
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Almost losing my GTA

Since I have been visiting and being able to see my GTA again, I was remembering some of the times when I almost lost my GTA because of different things happening. Once I almost lost my GTA to possible fire. In summer 1992, I noticed my battery was having no electricity in the mornings. I would have to get it jump started for a few days every morning. So on the Saturday, I started to look around on my GTA to figure out the problem, One of the things I did was remove that plastic panel in the very back where the rear lights are mounted. I did this because I could smell something that smelled funny and I could feel that the plastic was warm. When I removed the panel, I touched the electric pull down motor for the hatchback, it burned my hand!!! it was so hot. For some reason it was continually trying to pull down all the time all night long and draining my battery. I was shocked and thought that I could have lost my GTA to a fire there.

And then there were about eight times when my GTA was almost hit by stupid drivers that were not paying attention. One time I was in Los Angeles seeing some of my friends and when I got back home in San Francisco, about seven or eight cars on my block were completely destroyed because the night before a car thief speeding in a stolen car was going about eighty to one hundred mph in a residential twenty-five mph speed zone and lost control and hit all those cars. It happened where I used to always park my GTA. If I did not go to Los Angeles that weekend, my GTA would have been one of the cars that was destroyed in this crash. That happened in summer time 1995. When I returned to my home, I saw oil all over the street and sidewalks, engine parts in the bushes and lots of broken glass and plastic pieces. The ruined cars had already been towed away so I really did not know what exactly happened there. So I asked my neighbors why this stuff was on the ground and in the bushes and they told me what had happened. So in the twenty-three years that I have owned and driven my GTA, I have almost lost my GTA about ten times.

Does anyone have any similar things happen to their GTAs?

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 04-06-2010 at 10:01 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #2
Rodimus_Prime

Re: Almost losing my GTA

About a month ago coming back from Cecil County I was on a back road going too fast and hit a hairpin turn that was covered with road salt and gravel, lost the back end completely and did about a 90 degree spin, came a few feet away from hitting something and destroying the rear end. I dont know how I didnt hit anything. I count my blessings and thank whatever higher power saved me that day.

I wear my heart on my sleve with this car if anything were ever to happen to it, it would hurt me as much as losing a friend or loved one.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #3
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime View Post
About a month ago coming back from Cecil County I was on a back road going too fast and hit a hairpin turn that was covered with road salt and gravel, lost the back end completely and did about a 90 degree spin, came a few feet away from hitting something and destroying the rear end. I dont know how I didnt hit anything. I count my blessings and thank whatever higher power saved me that day.

I wear my heart on my sleve with this car if anything were ever to happen to it, it would hurt me as much as losing a friend or loved one.
How long have you owned yours?

Yumiko
Old 04-07-2010   #4
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I have owned my car since late June of 1994. Since that time, there have been many instances where I almost lost my car. One of the most memorable was when I was in Atlanta going from 175 South to I85 North and in the middle of the loop to get on there, under light rain conditions, the car spun around in 180* and I was facing a friend of mine who was following me and my youngest boy to a car club meet. I laughed it off, but he turned ghost white. Luckily, it was at night on the weekend and there was only very light traffic.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #5
merc3065

I haven't had any close calls, instead I put my car into a ditch being young dumb and stupid. 120kph around a 45* curve, touched the shoulder, heard the tires low screeching and I panicked and didnt want to touch the breaks for fear of a spin out. I wound up holding the turn and not recovering from turning before the road straightened out and as a result I overshot the turn and into a farmer's field.

This was to avoid someone who was crowding my lane, not to say that what I was doing in the first place was stupid, but, yeah...All I had to do was downshift and brake going into that turn and I would have still had my red T/A today.
Old 04-07-2010   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

Owned mine since 1988 and 1998 respectively. No close calls... but I'm a big wuss.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #7
Rodimus_Prime

just since last june

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #8
88GTAEd
And my money on my mind...

GTA Year: 1987

i had some a**clown go head on with my 88 i had.. i was makin a left at a 4 way stop, dumb high school kid rolled thru and we hit each other as i was halfway thru the turn. he was goin south, i was goin north turnin west. well, also present at the intersection, headed east was the commander of the Sedalia, MO police dept and he witnessed the entire thing. needless to say, i was never in the wrong. oh and he didnt have his insurance on him at the time. luckily he had ins. and i got 1500 out of the deal to "fix" my car.. hehe.. fixed my transmission! i got the bumper support and cover at a junkyard..
88GTAEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #9
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

No close calls with mine really, Ive owned my gta for 3 years now, Im 40 so Im not the wild man I once was
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #10
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector

Lucky for me,
I got divorced before I bought my 20th TTA.
I may have lost it then.

George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
mr.turbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #11
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988

Well I have owned my GTA for two years now, and Ive put about 8,000 miles on it. I actually got the car a week before I had my license at 16. I don't think I have had any calls of almost losing it, just almost a few fender benders. I love my car, and drive it with that love in mind. If anything happened to it I would be devastated for sure. There are really only 2 events that stick in my mind, both of which required jamming the brake petal to the floor. I don't know if it is the Eagle F1 tires I have on it or what, but the brakes do not lock up on my car. It always comes to a safe and controlled stop, and I am impressed with it. Once I was going down a road called sunny slope in New Berlin Wisconsin. Its 2 lane road, where the speed limit was 45. I was coming up to a red light in the left lane and was going about 35 mph letting the car coast till I got to the light. The right lane was backed up for some reason, and I didn't see that someone was leaving a gap for a white dodge ram to come out of the Harley dealer and into my lane. I couldn't see it because there were about 4 or 5 trucks and vans I couldn't see over until I saw the fender of the ram sticking into my lane. I jammed on the brakes and had about 10 feet to spare.

Another time was when I was making a left turn onto a two lane road. There was another van in front of me so I couldn't see much of anything. We got the turn signal to go, but the van was going really slow so I decided to swing around and go into the right lane real quick. Bad choice because when I got onto the gas and swung around the van there was a car like stopped in my lane to turn right into a shopping center. I had to jam on the brakes and had about 10 feet to spare again. That one was my fault though because I was in a hurry to get to work on time.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #12
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThisGTA View Post
I have owned my car since late June of 1994. Since that time, there have been many instances where I almost lost my car. One of the most memorable was when I was in Atlanta going from 175 South to I85 North and in the middle of the loop to get on there, under light rain conditions, the car spun around in 180* and I was facing a friend of mine who was following me and my youngest boy to a car club meet. I laughed it off, but he turned ghost white. Luckily, it was at night on the weekend and there was only very light traffic.
That reminds me of when I first bought my GTA, because the guy who was my personal mechanic at that time told me that he would not want to drive this car in the rain. I am unsure if any of you remember or not, I know Frankie mentioned it many years ago, but when these GTAs first came out, they were very dangerous in wet rain conditions because they are powerful and the tires that they came with when they were brand new (Goodyear Gaterback) were not good tires for driving in the rain on these GTAs. I neverhad any problems with driving my GTA in the rain during the years that I drove it in the rain because I always took my time and was extra careful.

Yumiko
Old 04-08-2010   #13
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
I haven't had any close calls, instead I put my car into a ditch being young dumb and stupid. 120kph around a 45* curve.
That sounds pretty fast in that condition. Glad you did not get hurt.

Yumiko
Old 04-08-2010   #14
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2 View Post
Owned mine since 1988 and 1998 respectively. No close calls... but I'm a big wuss.
Frankie, maybe I am wrong but when I first came on this forum in year 2001, I thought you showed posted pictures of your black GTA that was hit while it was parked. I thought you mentioned your relative hit it with a truck or something.

Or maybe since I was so new at this forum stuff, I may be confused with someone else. But I still think I remember the time one of your lightbulbs fell down on the red one. Maybe I am confusing you with a different member from that long time ago.

But no close calls, that is great. Better to be safe....

Yumiko
Old 04-08-2010   #15
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.turbota View Post
Lucky for me,
I got divorced before I bought my 20th TTA.
I may have lost it then.

George
That is funny. Reminds me that about ten years ago I saw a personalized licenseplate on a sports car that said "WAS HIS".

Yumiko
Old 04-08-2010   #16
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
If anything happened to it I would be devastated for sure.
That is interesting because I worry more now about anything happening to my GTA then I did when I first got it. Funny how that is like that.

Yumiko
Old 04-09-2010   #17
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector

I am surprised that you say that about the Gaterback tires.
They were one of the first tires out there, uni-directional for getting rid of rain/water.
My biggest problem was stopping in the rain.
I found I could go alittle bit faster in the rain, but it would not stop as fast.
Compared to the regular Goodyear Eagle GT tires, the Gaterbacks rocked.

George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
mr.turbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #18
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.turbota View Post
I am surprised that you say that about the Gaterback tires.
They were one of the first tires out there, uni-directional for getting rid of rain/water.
My biggest problem was stopping in the rain.
I found I could go alittle bit faster in the rain, but it would not stop as fast.
Compared to the regular Goodyear Eagle GT tires, the Gaterbacks rocked.

George

Well, these gatorback tires were not good in wet conditions. You could lose control very quickly in the rain with a GTA with those tires on it if you were not careful. I think that is why so many GTAs and other pontiacs were at the wrecking yard so quickly. You really had to be extra careful when driving in the rain with those tires on your GTA. Like my first mechanic said, he would not want to drive my GTA in the rain because of this issue.

Yumiko
Old 04-10-2010   #19
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

When I bought my car it had the Gatorbacks on it as well. When it came time to put on new ones, I did not go back with them, instead I went with the Eagle GCS. That tire ROCKED!! It didnt matter whether or not it was wet or dry, that tire handled GREAT!!

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #20
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThisGTA View Post
When I bought my car it had the Gatorbacks on it as well. When it came time to put on new ones, I did not go back with them, instead I went with the Eagle GCS. That tire ROCKED!! It didnt matter whether or not it was wet or dry, that tire handled GREAT!!
I am not sure about the GCS tires that you mention. I used Gatorback tires on my GTA until around 1997. After that, Goodyear told me that they did not make Gatorback tires anymore, discontinued them. They told me that the next tire is the GS-C. I had those for a while, I then got something called F1 for it. The next time I got tires (the last time so far), Goodyear was selling GS-Cs for a really great sales price. So I bought four of them and have GS-Cs on my GTA now. I did not notice any different between the F1 and the GS-Cs, except it seems that the F1s make a high pitched noice on the freeway when they are getting worn down a little bit. Or that could be because all of my GTAs suspension is now not the rubber stuff and the sounds travel through the drive train and into the car more now....I do not know for sure though.

Yumiko