Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-09-2010   #1
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Need help with bad Invoice Scan

I am looking at buying an 87 GTA.
Seller claims it's authentic, but there is no SPI tag and I am a little suspicious.

I tried to get invoice from GM media archives but the record they had was "archived poorly". (see below)

Can someone compare this to theirs to shed some light on it?

I see no Y84 in what is there.
Could it be at the bottom of the option list?
Should it say "1987 Firebird GTA Trans Am" in upper left?
Does price look correct for GTA?

It is a 5.0 TPI automatic. Rear end is Posi with aluminum drums.
Car has all other options that are legible on the invoice.

Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #2
EODsmitty

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Need help with bad Invoice Scan

Check out this link to the Source Page data for 87. http://www.gtasourcepage.com/87GTAMCRReview.html
The base price seem correct, but the Y84 is an option. Its odd that the SPID sticker is gone, I would be careful. Maybe some one on here can help out better. How is everything eles? Emblems in the right spots, gold pontiac on the driverside headlight etc,. Have you compared it to the GTA authentication page on this site? Hope this helps and good luck!

Dean
Old 03-10-2010   #3
Wes

My invoice doesnt look like that one. Not sure why, mavbe because my car is a Canadian export.
But, on my list of options, Y84 shows up 3 line items under the last one visible on your invoice, U75.
The Y84 option was 2025.81. So if you do the math using the numbers that you can see on your invoice (add the options to the base price and then compare that total to the invoice total) and you come up a couple thousand dollars short, you would have your answer.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #4
1988TAGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

The one I got back Clearly stated in the " car descriptition " 1988 Firebird Trans Am GTA .

And mine has the Right codes printed
That one ..

Looks to be a Trans Am , not a GTA

SOLD JUNE 23 2012
5.7 GM Crate
Ford Racing 24# Injectors

/ Custom Chip / Headers
/ TB Coolant Bypass/ TB Air Foil
/ Smog Delete / Cold Start Delete
/ EGR Delete / A.I.R. Delete / Sub Frame Connectors
/ Poly Bushings/ Wonder Bar
1988TAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #5
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Yea I hate to say it but I think its just a Trans am nothing wrong with that just not a GTA
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #6
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Thanks for the responses.

The thing that makes me still question the invoice is that there is a $300 deduct for the LB9 and $179 deduct for not having 4 wheel discs.

Would this be the case if it was just a TA?
Old 03-10-2010   #7
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

One way of maybe telling is if u look inside the fenders if there the original they should still have the body tag on them, so if the vin matches and it has non lovered fenders its probably a gta, as eod said check for the gold pontiac on the headlight and the gold bird in the taillight filler, only gta's gotem
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #8
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I am looking at buying an 87 GTA.
Seller claims it's authentic, but there is no SPI tag and I am a little suspicious.

I tried to get invoice from GM media archives but the record they had was "archived poorly". (see below)

Can someone compare this to theirs to shed some light on it?

I see no Y84 in what is there.
Could it be at the bottom of the option list?
Should it say "1987 Firebird GTA Trans Am" in upper left?
Does price look correct for GTA?

It is a 5.0 TPI automatic. Rear end is Posi with aluminum drums.
Car has all other options that are legible on the invoice.

I believe that there is supposed to be a second SPI tag. It is usually located behind one of the rear interior plastic trim pieces. Anyone recall the exact location? Be kind of weird if both were missing.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #9
8T9GTA
GTA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george88gta View Post
I believe that there is supposed to be a second SPI tag. It is usually located behind one of the rear interior plastic trim pieces. Anyone recall the exact location? Be kind of weird if both were missing.
The SPI tag on my '89 is located on the inside of the left hand rear storage compartmnet door. Not sure if it was there from the factory of if a previous owner moved it there.

-Tom
8T9GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #10
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

On my 84 camaro it is inside the panel for the spare tire (IIRC).
I looked in this location on the 87GTA?? and saw no evidence of one there or having been there. Also didnt see anything in the rear locking storage compartment opposite the spare tire.

On this car I thought it would be in the console. When you lift up the console lid and look inside you can see a glue spot on the passenger side of the compartment. The glue spot is the size you would expect for the SPI tag.
Old 03-10-2010   #11
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988TAGTA View Post
The one I got back Clearly stated in the " car descriptition " 1988 Firebird Trans Am GTA .

And mine has the Right codes printed
That one ..

Looks to be a Trans Am , not a GTA
You have to remember that for the 87 model year, Y84 was an option package. Begining with the 1988 model year, the GTA became a stand-alone model. That may explain why your invoice says Firebird Trans Am GTA while mine (and possibly the one for this car) only say Firebird Trans Am. I don't think this invoice rules out the chance that it is a real GTA at all.

The invoice for my GTA says 1987 Firebird Trans Am but has the Y84 package listed.
Old 03-10-2010   #12
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Does your 87 invoice list Y84 as a line item with an option price?
Old 03-10-2010   #13
Wes

I just did some quick math on that invoice.

The invoice amt before options is listed in the top left as $11,270.15.
The invoice amt after options are added is listed as $15,858.87.
A difference of $4588.74
If you add up all the options that are visible, they only add up to $2518.22.
So there is $2070.05 in options hiding under that black bar and the costly options are already visible (A/C, t-tops)
The GTA package on my invoice is $2025.

The MSRP on this invoice is almost $19,300. I am not sure you could option a 5.0 T/A up over $19k. I bought one new in 87 with all options except the auto tranny and the sticker was only in the mid-17's.

Also, I was looking through the option packages for the Trans Am and the GTA and compared the RPOs in them to the ones on this invoice.

Both Trans Am packages include AK1 - Belts, Custom Color Keyed. In the 2 GTA packages, those belts are listed as STD. If you look through the options on this invoice, AK1 is not there. But what is there is DD8 - Mirror, Inside Rear View Automatic Tilt. An option that was not available on the Trans Am.

I am starting to believe that this invoice does indeed belong to a GTA.
Old 03-10-2010   #14
Wes

Quote:
Does your 87 invoice list Y84 as a line item with an option price?

It sure does.

On my invoice its 4 line items below the last one visible on your invoice. It would be right where that black bar is on your invoice
If you notice, the options are listed alphabetically by RPO. So, Y84 would be at the bottom of the list.

The credit for the 5.0 engine is a telltale sign too as the 5.7 was the standard engine on the GTA and the 5.0 could be substituted for credit.

Last edited by Wes; 03-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2010   #15
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
It sure does.

On my invoice its 4 line items below the last one visible on your invoice. It would be right where that black bar is on your invoice
If you notice, the options are listed alphabetically by RPO. So, Y84 would be at the bottom of the list.

The credit for the 5.0 engine is a telltale sign too as the 5.7 was the standard engine on the GTA and the 5.0 could be substituted for credit.
Wow, you're right! I didn't notice the alphabetical thing.

It also is a big help to know which numbers to compare for backing into the total option cost (I wasn't sure to use the $11k, 13k, 15k, 16K or $19k).
If there is $2070 worth of options hidden in the black line then I think it could very well be a GTA.

From looking at the option prices on this site, I did notice the deduct for LB9 and 4 wheel disc but I didn't notice the AK1 & DD8 that you have pointed out.

Thanks Wes!

To help me confirm numbers:
You say your Y84 is $2025. I am assuming this is what is shown in the invoice amount column?
The Y84 option price listed on this site looks to be $2133. Is this what you have listed in the suggested retail price column?

---------------
I still welcome anyone else's comments. If you notice anything either way, please let me know.

Old 03-11-2010   #16
Wes

Quote:

From looking at the option prices on this site, I did notice the deduct for LB9 and 4 wheel disc but I didn't notice the AK1 & DD8 that you have pointed out.

Thanks Wes!

To help me confirm numbers:
You say your Y84 is $2025. I am assuming this is what is shown in the invoice amount column?
The Y84 option price listed on this site looks to be $2133. Is this what you have listed in the suggested retail price column?

The Y84 RPO and the option list (or packages) are 2 different things.

You first have to add the Y84 RPO to turn the T/A into a GTA and then you could add options to the car.

My invoice looks much different than yours. It doesnt even list the suggested retail price of the RPOs, just the invoice price.

I do have the window sticker so I do have both prices. For example, the invoice price for Y84 is $2025. The MSRP price on the window sticker is $2700.

Some of the prices on your invoice are a little different than mine but GM sometimes raised prices mid-year. That may explain why Y84 is $2025 on my invoive but when I did the math on your invoice, the difference was $2070.
Old 03-11-2010   #17
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

With your help, this is my cipher of what could be under the black line:

Retail...................Invoice
$2,700.00.......$2,214.00........Y84 GTA Package
..-$75.00...........-$61.50........72D (Deduct Leather)
-$100.00...........-$82.00........Option Package Discount

$2,525.00.......$2,070.50........Total of the above lines

This is identical to the $2,070.50 difference you posted above.

The only thing I possibly see wrong in this is the option Package discount.
The options & price info on this site says this could be $100 or $175. There looks like there may be something hokey with the W63 column on the web page though. When you total the option prices there is a $75 discrepancy in the $2133 number (the options add up to $2208).

Do you have this line for $100 option Package discount? (note that all my option invoice prices listed are 82% of retail).

Any other comments?

Last edited by Roadrunner; 03-11-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2010   #18
Wes

There is no line for option package discount on my invoice. Its pretty sparse compared to yours

It says "Pontiac Motor Division" at the top with "Detail of Canadian Shipments" under that. Then on either side of that it has the date shipped, the VIN#, invoice # and order #.

Then down the middle of the page it lists the options by RPO as yours does with only the invoice price. At the bottom is the total.

I think the telltale signs that your invoice belongs to a GTA would be the engine and tranny credit, the DD8 mirror which was only available on the GTA and the roughly $2000 difference in cost from base price to optioned price.
If everything on the car checks out using Frankie's authentication guidelines, I would say you are looking at a GTA.

Last edited by Wes; 03-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2010   #19
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

I talked to GM Media Archives today about the differences in layout of the invoices and the amount of info given. She said these are the same invoice documents that they send out to everyone. GM changed the format many times over the years and often several time per year.
(Also - they didn't charge me for this invoice since quality is poor.)

Based on the info I have come to a fair agreement on price with the seller and finalized the deal on the car.
(The car is located 4 hours away so I'm picking it up this weekend.)

I am planning to try to contact original dealer and PHS to see if I can document it better. Will post results when I get them.

Thanks much for all the help!
Old 03-11-2010   #20
george88gta

Quote:
I talked to GM Media Archives today about the differences in layout of the invoices and the amount of info given. She said these are the same invoice documents that they send out to everyone. GM changed the format many times over the years and often several time per year.
(Also - they didn't charge me for this invoice since quality is poor.)

Based on the info I have come to a fair agreement on price with the seller and finalized the deal on the car.
(The car is located 4 hours away so I'm picking it up this weekend.)

I am planning to try to contact original dealer and PHS to see if I can document it better. Will post results when I get them.

Thanks much for all the help!
Good luck and bring her home safe. Then you can start the task of discovering the heritage of the old girl. Look under the driver side rear seat cushion, GM sometimes put the build sheet under that cushion. Mine was still there. It will also tell you about the options and mine states "Y84". If that isnt there then if you want to go to the trouble of removing the interior rear plastic panels, you should find the second SPI sticker.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote