Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-28-2010   #21
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Seafoam and a L98 VS LS1 story.

I know that it will suck to fix it, that's why I will be taking it to an exhaust shop to have the work done. Soon I will have the manifold leak fixed, a new cat put on, and the muffler needs to be replaced as well. I am going to be changing the diff fluid and gasket this week as well. Me and my dad have been driving it most of the day. It runs spectacular now! Smooth as silk.

Here is a picture of me and the car from today. Thank you so much for the help guys!!!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #22
ThunderChicken
Hoarder

As to the loud ticking when it's cold, that's a HALLMARK sign of hydraulic lifter tick. Sounds like it might be time for a rebuild...

Click here for Firebird Fest of the Carolinas Information!!
ThunderChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #23
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Well that sure would stink! How much would that cost to fix? I will take a video tomorrow when its cold and post it up.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-01-2010   #24
merc3065

Get the manifold leak fixed first.

Lifter tick and exhaust tick are two distinct but similar sounds. I had lifter tick before(collapsed lifter, replaced em all and overhauled the upper valvetrain) and a manifold tick before (blown manifold gasket, dont use the perforated metal/graphite papery ones!). The sounds are quite similar but distinct.

Manifold leak... on the highway when driving, you take your foot off the gas the tick will go away, give it some gas and the tick reappears. You can sometimes distinguish where the leak is but it sometimes sounds like it comes from inside. On occasion depending on the size of the leak, it will give off some LOUD puffing when under a medium load, (4th gear, medium acceleration for example)

Lifter tick will not go away when on the highway. Lifter tick also sounds like it's coming from inside the engine (which it is). And you will notice a bit of a performance decrease, not as much pull as there should be.

Last edited by merc3065; 03-01-2010 at 01:54 AM.
merc3065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #25
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Ok, I will be taking a video to show you guys, I didnt have time this morning to do it. When the car is cold, it makes the sound untill it warms up. when its warm it only makes a little noise when you get on it. I will get that fixed first anyways.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-01-2010   #26
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I took a video today. The side the manifold leaks on is the same side that it makes noise on.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=100_0604.flv

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-01-2010   #27
budfreak1
stang stumper

GTA Year: 1991

Hard to tell, could be either the exhaust leak or a lifter. Replace the exhaust gasket and see what happens.

Mustanglover?????

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #28
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

haha, I didn't make it the account name. I am just was too lazy to set up another account and have a lot of stuff on there. I sure as hell would not have picked that for a username.. but I am going to have the exhaust fixed before anything.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-01-2010   #29
merc3065

You can poke around with a length of rubber fuel hose and listen for noises.

Exhaust leaks sound kinda like a bubbling/farting noise where the leak is present.

I use a 3/8 hose and cup it to my ear with my hand and start pokin around to listen for noises. It's almost as good as a mechanics stethascope and cheaper too.
Old 03-02-2010   #30
gorin002
GM Enthusiast

did ones you had a mustang ?
i wander indeed of mustang lover name account
gorin002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #31
ThunderChicken
Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post

Exhaust leaks sound kinda like a bubbling/farting noise where the leak is present.
Hehehe...our cars fart.

This is what I'm talking about, from Wikipedia...

There are a number of potential problems with hydraulic lifters. Frequently, the valvetrain will rattle loudly on startup due to oil draining from the lifters when the vehicle is parked. This is not considered significant provided the noise disappears within a couple of minutes, typically it usually only lasts a second or two. A rattle that does not go away can indicate a blocked oil feed or that one or more of the lifters has collapsed due to wear and is no longer opening its valve fully. The affected lifter should be replaced in the latter situation.

Click here for Firebird Fest of the Carolinas Information!!
ThunderChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #32
Rodimus_Prime

God I love that car of yours, maybe even more than my TTA

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82
2007 Cobalt SS G85, Harrop 1320LSJ 75MM, 298hp 254tq
Rodimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #33
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Ha ha, thanks a lot! I really love it too. I have another question for you guys. I am thinking of doing the TB bypass mod. I know that it wont generate major gains, but I'm thinking about doing it for better throttle response. Has anyone done it? Notice a difference? Thanks!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-03-2010   #34
george88gta

Talking Re: Seafoam and a L98 VS LS1 story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
Ha ha, thanks a lot! I really love it too. I have another question for you guys. I am thinking of doing the TB bypass mod. I know that it wont generate major gains, but I'm thinking about doing it for better throttle response. Has anyone done it? Notice a difference? Thanks!
I tried that one as well. Only real value is that you can get a bit cooler air in to the throttle body. Notice a difference? Not really, but you cant beat the logic, if it is less than 195 degrees (outside air temp) then you will get cooler air in to the engine and that means a tad more HP. Again, most of these little improvements wont show much without a dyno run. If you want noticeable gains then you need to spend some bucks. However, make sure you have a plan and going fast is your goal. No plan and you will start throwing money out the window. Going fast is nice, but is that how you will drive your car. In my case, I am going back to stock ( well almost), no computer mods and no PITA bolt ons. I want a smooth running cruiser, no racing. But that is just me. Very few two lanes roads around here with stoplights, so street running is rare. The roads that have two lanes and stoplights are heavily patrolled thanks to the rice burners. Besides, the cops would laugh at a 60+ year old racing on the streets, probably send me off to "the home".
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #35
budfreak1
stang stumper

I notice the improvement in throttle response with the coolant bypassed and I have seen some kinds of cars gain up to 10 HP from it on the dyno.

My Cardomain
Old 03-03-2010   #36
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Thank you George and bud! I am going to try it out. I went out and tried to get the line from the manifold off of the throttle body but I couldn't budge it. I loosened the screw on the clamp holding the line onto the TB and I couldn't get it to pull off at all. what is the deal?

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-03-2010   #37
budfreak1
stang stumper

Quote:
Thank you George and bud! I am going to try it out. I went out and tried to get the line from the manifold off of the throttle body but I couldn't budge it. I loosened the screw on the clamp holding the line onto the TB and I couldn't get it to pull off at all. what is the deal?
It is probably old and frozen on there. Try to gently twist it with a pair of pliers to break it loose and get it started. If worse comes to worse, get a new hose and cut the old one off.

My Cardomain
Old 03-03-2010   #38
george88gta

Quote:
Just stuck. You may have to cut a slit in it remove it. Do you have a replacement hose? If not, get the parts before you start cutting. This hose works fine NAPA 9812 hose.

Last edited by george88gta; 03-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #39
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Well boys its done, was a mess of a project. I had a 90 degree heater line connector I bought a while back to use for this. Worked great. I let it warm up and get the coolant circulating to make sure there were no leaks, and it looked great. I took it for a drive and did notice it had a bit more pep. I opened the hood and felt the throttle body after I parked it and it was cool to the touch. I remember it used to be burning hot before. I am going to just get a new hose and use that instead of the connector just for looks sake. I took a picture of my work for now, and a video of the engine running at operating temp to show you how the ticking noise disappears at idle. .

link to the video

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/?action=view&current=100_0607.flv

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 03-04-2010   #40
Andy 91GTA
GTA Member

Be extremely careful with the heater valve that the throttle body hose attaches to when the coolant is warm/hot. I had a friend working on my car trying to diagnose some problems when the coolant was hot and the car was running. The heater valve broke and sprayed hot coolant on his face and he had to go to the hospital. I have since put the tb hoses back to their original position on both my GTAs.
SLP catback|air foil|CAI|ported plenum|180* T-stat|Holley APFR|TransGo Stage 1 Shift Kit|Corvette Servo|.5" Boost Valve|Kenny Brown SFCs|TDS Wonderbar|Strange 3.42s|ASP crank pulley|ET Street Radials
15.03@91
92GTA
350|auto
Green w/beige leather
14.18@95
CAI|TPIS air foil|180* T-stat|ported plenum|AS&M intake runners|SuperRam intake manifold|Holley APFR|ASP crank pulley|TDS Wonderbar|ET Street Radials
92GTA
350|auto
Jamaica Yellow w/black cloth
Andy 91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote