Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-26-2010   #1
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Seafoam and a L98 VS LS1 story.

So the purpose of this thread is 2 things, and the thing I am most interested in is my question about seafoam. I went out and bought a can today, and am going to use it this weekend. I will not be putting it into the oil. So my question is, What vacuum line do I use? I need to find a line that will feed all cylinders. I was going to use the brake booster line, but a guy on TGO told me that it doesn't feed them all on a TPI and I should use a vacuum line off of the throttle body. Is this correct? If so which one specifically, and where is it located on the throttle body?

The second part of my thread is an interesting one. I just want to let it be known that I baby the absolute hell out of my car, I never beat on it. I have only raced it 2 or three times, and those were just short few second bursts the whole time I have had it. Well anyways today I was coming home from school and was sitting at a stoplight. The portion of road I was sitting on was a 2 lane HWY, totally strait for the next mile or so with totally smooth road and no one else on it. I was minding my own business, when a black LS1 Trans Am with tinted windows pulled up next to me. I think it was a 98 or 99 because It didn't have the ram air hood, and it had like kind of fan blade looking silver 5 spoke wheels on it. So we sit there for a couple seconds and then the light turns green. We both take off casually but I gave it a little more gas then normal to pass him from the light. Well he gave it even more gas to keep me back, So I let him have it and we both went close to full throttle and stayed equal. So then the light in front of us turned red and it was the one I needed to turn at but I kept going strait just to line up with him again. We sit there and I cant see him through his windows, but I look over. There is a white ram behind him and the passenger yelled something at me, I think it was RUN HIM! And they were all smiling. The light turned green and we both started off easy again but he jumped on the throttle at the same time I did, but this time I put the pedal down as far down as it would go. I was watching in my mirror and I was actually putting ground on him. I don't even know how fast I was going, if I had to guess it would be around 80-90 MPH. I slowed down and turned off and had the biggest smile on my face realizing I just beat an LS1 4th gen. I know that this was not one of the powerful LS1 cars but I still beat one! I think I blew out a bit of the carbon and made the seafoam's job a little easier... That was my fun for the day, I love that car to death!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #2
wilkink

Re: Seafoam and a L98 VS LS1 story.

I was actually just reading your thread over at TGO because I am thinking about trying out this Seafoam thing too. Love the story. I am not the biggest street racing kind of guy, but I do have a lead foot when it comes to cruising around town. Again, congrats on your victory.
wilkink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I will let you know how it goes, I am also going to take out the Idle air control sensor and clean it off, and clean behind the throttle body blades as well. I hope this solves the cold start fits the car has.. And thanks, I am not a street racing guy either usually when people try to race I just wont go. But I have always wanted to race a LS1 car and today was my chance so I took it.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 02-27-2010   #4
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

I need to do the same, especially to the IAC...

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #5
budfreak1
stang stumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadGTA View Post
So the purpose of this thread is 2 things, and the thing I am most interested in is my question about seafoam. I went out and bought a can today, and am going to use it this weekend. I will not be putting it into the oil. So my question is, What vacuum line do I use? I need to find a line that will feed all cylinders. I was going to use the brake booster line, but a guy on TGO told me that it doesn't feed them all on a TPI and I should use a vacuum line off of the throttle body. Is this correct? If so which one specifically, and where is it located on the throttle body?
I use the vacuum line off of the charcoal canister located by the air filter box. Just follow the vacuum hose off of it to the pass. side of your throttle body. Just be careful that you suck it in SLOWLY and don't hydrolock the engine. You also might want to considering dumping a can into the gas tank and filling up on premium. It will clean out the entire fuel system.
Good luck and nice win.

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #6
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Ok thanks! I will use that vacuum line then. Did you notice a difference when you sea foamed your GTA? It says to use 1/3 pint in the vacuum line, and then I was thinking of putting the rest into the fuel tank. I am also going to clean off the IAC valve, and clean behind the blades of the throttle body. Any advise on how to get that IAC out?

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 02-27-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2010   #7
george88gta

Quote:
Ok thanks! I will use that vacuum line then. Did you notice a difference when you sea foamed your GTA? It says to use 1/3 pint in the vacuum line, and then I was thinking of putting the rest into the fuel tank. I am also going to clean off the IAC valve, and clean behind the blades of the throttle body. Any advise on how to get that IAC out?
The IAC screws in/out. You will need a large wrench, an adjustable/crescent wrench will work. I believe the connector end will interfere with a deep socket ( dont remember). Be carefull not to move the pintle. If you do you will need to check the adjustment before reinstalling. Another tip is to use some dielectric grease, or most any grease, and apply it to the contacts before reinstalling. This will prevent corrosion and intermittant problems later on.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #8
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Awesome thank you! I am going to go and try to get it out now. The reason I asked is because the bottom edge of the throttle body doesn't allow to put a socket onto the thing.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 02-27-2010   #9
george88gta

Quote:
Awesome thank you! I am going to go and try to get it out now. The reason I asked is because the bottom edge of the throttle body doesn't allow to put a socket onto the thing.
I was pretty sure that there was a reason you couldnt use a socket. Just some FYI. If you do get some dielectric grease ( also called spark plug boot release) you should put it on all of your connectors. These cars use tin plated connectors and they dont like heating/cooling or moisture. This little tip will help avoid some really weird problems later on. I usually apply the grease to the contacts and then plug/unplug the connector a few times to clean the contact and spread out the grease.
Old 02-27-2010   #10
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Ok, I did get it out fine, and there was some grease on the connectors already. It was black so I cleaned around the ring at the bottom and the pintle at the top. I am going to buy some carb cleaner to spray it down with. Came out a lot easier than I thought!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 02-27-2010   #11
george88gta

Quote:
Ok, I did get it out fine, and there was some grease on the connectors already. It was black so I cleaned around the ring at the bottom and the pintle at the top. I am going to buy some carb cleaner to spray it down with. Came out a lot easier than I thought!
BE CAREFUL with the spray cleaner. You dont want to clean anything but the front of the pintle. Rumor is that if you get it down inside of the IAC body, you have trashed the IAC. I spray the cleaner on to a rag and use the rag to clean the face of the pintle. If the shaft and body are full of gunk, you probably would be better off replacing the IAC.
Old 02-27-2010   #12
budfreak1
stang stumper

Quote:
Yes, my GTA did smooth out a little after a sea foam treatment. I usually use half the can, shut it off for 5 minutes and then start it up and watch it smoke. FYI, Sea foam recommends if your car has never been cleaned out before with sea foam to change the plugs after the cleaning.

My Cardomain
Old 02-27-2010   #13
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

So I put the IAC back in, and cleaned up the back of the throttle body blades, and everything I could reach behind them, it was filthy back there! while the IAC was out, I sprayed carb cleaner in where it goes too and got a lot of black out. I started the car cold and it was so awesome! The whole time Ive had the car when ever I started it up cold it would shake real bad and if I tried to drive it, it would hesitate and not drive good. Now it started up real nice, and idled steady at about 750 RPMS. Before it would idle over 1000RPMS cold! I drove it down the street and it didn't hesitate at all, totally smooth! I am amazed! The only thing I have to worry about now is the engine still makes a loud ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine only when its cold. I am hoping when I do the sea foam tomorrow it will help that a bit. Thanks for the advise guys!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 02-27-2010   #14
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

And one more time, I want to be REALLY sure what I am doing with this sea foam so I don't mess anything up. Budfreak, is this the line in the picture below that you use from the canister? I checked it, and it runs to the bottom of the passenger side of the throttle body. If it is, my process is going to be this:

-pour 1/2 can into a container
-Let the engine suck it up slowly so it doesn't stall
-have some one turn off the key right before it is all gone
-Pour the rest into the gas tank
-Let it sit for about 20 minutes
-Start it up and drive her a little hard for a bit to blow out that carbon

THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP GUYS!!! I really appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0598.JPG (441.1 KB, 29 views)

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 02-28-2010   #15
budfreak1
stang stumper

Quote:
And one more time, I want to be REALLY sure what I am doing with this sea foam so I don't mess anything up. Budfreak, is this the line in the picture below that you use from the canister? I checked it, and it runs to the bottom of the passenger side of the throttle body. If it is, my process is going to be this:
-Get engine to operating temp.
-pour 1/2 can into a container
-Let the engine suck it up slowly so it doesn't stall
-have some one turn off the key right before it is all gone
-Pour the rest into the gas tank
-Let it sit for about 5 minutes
-Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes and drive her a little hard for a bit to blow out that carbon

THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP GUYS!!! I really appreciate it!
Yes, that line will work fine.

I revised your procedure up above in the quote to reflect how I do it.

As for your ticking, That sounds like a lifter taking awhile to pump up. I'd recommend using seafoam in the oil per the directions to clean up the engine and lifters.

My Cardomain
Old 02-28-2010   #16
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

You can also use the Deep Creep made by Seafoam as well, and since its petroleum based you can spray it into the plenum and let it sit(after its good and hot), then let it sit(so it can seek the heat). Afterward, crank the engine and watch it work.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #17
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

Ok, thanks guys! I am probably going to change out the plugs soon too. I will report how it goes!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
Old 02-28-2010   #18
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I finished and it worked great. I did discover that the car has an exhaust leak on the passenger side, and that is where I think the ticking noise Is coming from. It actually scared me a bit because the smoke was coming out from behind the engine right before I turned it off. When the car was turned on I left it idle for the 10 minutes, and it smoked up the whole street. Right before I drove it I poured the rest of the can into the gas tank. I took it on the freeway for about 20 miles, and got it up to about 100MPH a few times. The car is really smooth now, I noticed that it has a lot more throttle response and I am very happy with it. Once the exhaust leak is fixed it will run like a new car!

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK

Last edited by BigBadGTA; 02-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2010   #19
george88gta

Quote:
I finished and it worked great. I did discover that the car has an exhaust leak on the passenger side, and that is where I think the ticking noise Is coming from. It actually scared me a bit because the smoke was coming out from behind the engine right before I turned it off. When the car was turned on I left it idle for the 10 minutes, and it smoked up the whole street. Right before I drove it I poured the rest of the can into the gas tank. I took it on the freeway for about 20 miles, and got it up to about 100MPH a few times. The car is really smooth now, I noticed that it has a lot more throttle response and I am very happy with it. Once the exhaust leak is fixed it will run like a new car!
I kind of thought that it would be an exhaust leak. If you are lucky, you may be able to get a 9/16th wrench on the bolts and eliminate the leak. Be careful of the A/C box, you can crack it very easily. The right side is tight! If tightening the bolts doesnt fix the leak, get some soft copper gaskets ( or aluminum, both are available from Summit) and fix it the right way. Not fun and not easy, but that works. Consider this the "voice of experience" been there done that.
Old 02-28-2010   #20
merc3065

ugh, fixing exhaust leaks on the manifolds with AIR tubes SUCKS. Especially with the A/C box...Its such a pain in the ass to work around the AIR system.
Like stated above get some good gaskets and do it right.

RTV will help "seal" the deal and make the gaskets sticky to hold them long enough to get everything together.

Just be careful with the heatshields, they like to weld themselves to the manifold studs...