Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-02-2009   #1
paige83

so I've accidentally stumbled across a gta

So I've been in the market for a "new" car for a few months now but I'm horrible picky and don't want to spend alot of money (impossible combination I know). My husband has been nagging me to death to go look at his friends 87 trans am for months and I'm not interested in an 87 especially one with a 350 in it ( gas guzzler haha).

I finally gave in this morning and went over to look at this car. WOW! Pearl white with T-tops, no rust or dents, been garaged , nice interior, NEW motor (its all pretty and shiny! less than 5k on it), pretty gold wheels ( dont crucify my but gta means nothing to me at this moment , never even heard of it) , new tires blah blah blah. Few little quirks .. and I mean little ... needs a new antenna and has a leaky O ring to A/C , and the glass over the guages is cracked. Everything works , guages , a/c (leak needs fixed), power hatch , starts right up etc etc etc. No spoiler

Well he proceeds to tell me everything he's done to it over the last 20 years since he bought it for his wifey ( speakin chinese to me). He took all the decals off when he had it repainted several years back but never got around to putting them back on. He has them all in a box tho and they will naturally come with the car. He's not really fond of the wheels personally but they came on the car and his wife liked them. blah blah blah. His son somehow broke the spoiler while trying to put it back on. Brackets are all there in place but need the spoiler its self.

"Its a GTA", he says " which dont mean much , just has a few extras."

Now here is the kicker. He wants $2000.00 for it. like whoa YEAH I'LL TAKE IT!

He feels obligated to clean it up first tho, its awefully dusty and dirty. He'll get it washed and the oil changed and delivery it to my house tomarrow. Sweet!

So I start looking for a spoiler and realize "whoa I have something here!"

Now I have a questions ....

1) I wanted a cowl induction hood / hood scoop. something to give it that extra little pop. But I want to keep it as close to original as possible at the same time. Was it possible for one to come from the factory with one?

2) When he replaced the motor he made some modifications with the fuel injection or carborator or something( speaking chinese to me remember), did that depreciate the value? Should I have it switched back over to factory specs? Not that I intend to sell it but hey you never know.

I know nothing of Trans Ams so pls forgive any stupid questions or flat out ignorance.

Last edited by paige83; 09-02-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: added info
paige83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #2
paige83

Re: so I've accidentally stumbled across a gta

Wow thats a really long winded post , but it was just to cool to keep to myself.
Old 09-02-2009   #3
merc3065

There is no factory cowl induction or ram air hood for the 3rd gen.

Hawks Thirdgen Parts has a ram air 1 and 2 style hood for the firebird.
Neither are functional.

You can make them functional if you like with a dremel and an airbox from www.ramairhood.com

Spoiler will need to be replaced with a fiberglass or a $800 factory one that will rot away in time as well. Hawks has the replacements as well.
Old 09-02-2009   #4
GTA50

I have cowl induction on my '84 Trans Am - but that is for a carbed engine only. It won't work for a TPI setup.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #5
paige83

I think thats the changes he made ... something to do with a carborator ... wish I would have listened better now doh!
Old 09-02-2009   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I personally do not think that this car is good for you. It seems that perhaps you are interested to buy it because of the price. If that is accurate, if/when the time comes that something needs to be worked on or fixed/replaced, you will probably not be happy and have very little patience with it, getting frustrated and end up want to get of it.

One thing I learned from owning my own GTA since 1987 and being an active member on this GTA board since 2001 is, you really either need to love these GTAs with a lot of passions or......it will not work for you and you will be one of the people who get frustrated with the GTA and get rid of it, and regret having gotten it in the first place.

So I say if you are just buying this GTA simply because the buying price is convinient, I think you should pass on it and get something that you really want and love to get.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 09-02-2009 at 09:53 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #7
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I agree. If I did not love this car so much, I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. Just because these cars are so old, stuff goes bad and is expensive to replace and it kinda sucks to try and find parts for.
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #8
ThunderChicken
Hoarder

If you love the car and UNDERSTAND that it is an older car that will need more upkeep, then congratulations on your find! You got a nice car for a great price!

As long as you understand that, you'll be fine. I know it seems like everyone is being really DISCOURAGING, but I think they just want to make sure you understand that a 20 year old car is going to need more upkeep and parts are harder to find. We don't want YOU to get sucker-punched and we all love these GTAs so much that we want to make sure they're cared for properly. If you truly love the car and can keep it up, we're ALL happy for you.

The new motor will go a long way towards that upkeep. Get a Hawks spoiler...I have one and it's fantastic and looks identical to the original. You'll have to wait probably two months for it, but they're worth it. My body shop said it's the nicest one he's worked with...and he's done a LOT of cars.

Now...let's see some pics of this pretty Bird.

Click here for Firebird Fest of the Carolinas Information!!
ThunderChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #9
paige83

I love old cars and as the owner of a lifted 89' ford bronco with about 20k invested in it I'm well aware of all the down falls (not to mention I owned a 71 chevy truck for about 8 years prior). I was looking for something newer but still a sports car (looked at a 98 mustang and a 95 firebird).... I'm a mother but not quite ready for a mini van (and never will be)

Here is some drama for ya .... The guy we are buying it from was letting his son drive this car and took the keys from him the day before we came to look at it because he said the kid wasnt taking proper care of it. Welllllll that pissed the kid off I guess because lastnight the kid STOLE it. His father seems to think that he will return it any moment or get caught by the police (was reported stolen as soon as he took it)... hopefully without any damage.

I know that sounds unbelievable ... true story tho. Keep your fingers crossed

Edit: no pictures yet It was suppose to be delivered today but recieved that ugly phone call instead. I guess I jinxed it.

Last edited by paige83; 09-02-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2009   #10
YumikoGTA

So would this mean that it will now be a theft recovery title car if they ever get it back? Too much drama in my opinion.

Yumiko
Old 09-02-2009   #11
paige83

I don't know. I'm hoping the kid shows up soon and apologizes very prettily to his father and all is forget and forgive and I get my car tomarrow. I already have a list of stuff I am/was buying for it and trying to think up a good personalized plate for it doh. I definately jinxed it.
Old 09-03-2009   #12
paige83

Not that it matters but he didnt tell us how much he was asking for the car untill I was sitting in its driver seat admiring the view. I bout crapped myself when he said 2k because I never expecting it to be an amount I could actually afford .... "I dont want to spend alot of money" interprets as " I'm paying cash and have a limited amount to spend". Had my husband known the asking price was going to be so low he would have drug me over there by my hair to see it months ago and then hounded me day and night untill I gave in. He just assumed it was higher and never asked outright.
If I had a back up car I would love to buy the 79 camaro or the 69 mustang (or both haha ) that are currently for sale not far from my home ... unfortunately neither are in working condition and I need a vehicle now. Sharing his truck isnt working and my husband flat refuses to fix my old car because it would cost more than the car is worth. So there is my prob ... finding a car that I like , in ready to drive condition that is within my price range ... the 95 firebird was not affordable ( had 43k orig miles which hiked the price up) ... and someone else was waiting for loan approval on the mustang and got it. 95-98 mustangs are easily found for what I want to spend but they are usually V6 ( i want a V8 ) or been wrecked. One I looked at had GT slathered all over it in 6 inch tall letters ,a V6 under the hood, popped air bags, each piece of it was a different shade of red ( couldnt tell untill u got up close to it) and they were asking $4000 for it .... what a joke! So far I havent found anything else untill the trans am. It was perfect

I appreciate your concern tho but if It turns out not to be the car for me it will be the car for my husband since he has been begging me to look at it for months.

Thats if I even end up with it ....
Old 09-03-2009   #13
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

The one thing I can say that, *IF* you do end up getting the car, then the main thing to remember about them(when you are driving in the rain), is that the car, can spin out on you in seconds. With the posi rear end, low end torque, and little weight on the rear tires, it is very easy to spin out in them. Other than that, I hope it works out and you get the car. hth

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #14
paige83

The owner seems to think he'll be back and is more concerned over what condition the car will be in when/if its returned. I guess he had a friend with him and they left the friends car there at his house and took the trans am, making him think that this is just a joy ride because he is mad, and they will be back. 36.5 hrs missing so far. I hope if this does turn out to be just a joy ride that it was worth it , because his dad says he fully intends to have them arrested.
Old 09-03-2009   #15
merc3065

i'd also be wary, since he's in the local area, it may be worse off if the kid goes and makes copies of the keys.

Honestly, if it doesnt show up soon, i'd look elsewhere. Seems like it could open up a real bag of snakes for you in the long run.
Old 09-03-2009   #16
paige83

Thanks for the responses to my original post ... I intend to get the spoiler from Hawk unless I run across an acceptable used one between now and then (unlikely I know) and I'm gonna change the hood anyway just cause I want to.
IF I get the darn car.
Old 09-03-2009   #17
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

Well, I hope all works out for you. As for the hood, btw, the Formula's had a cowl hood, sortta, but it was/ is off to one side. I have seen several with them on there and they look good. An added feature of the Formy hood, is the cover at the inlet of the cowl. It is removable and allows for the hot air to vent out from under the hood. Results= a cooler engine.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #18
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThisGTA View Post
Well, I hope all works out for you. As for the hood, btw, the Formula's had a cowl hood, sortta, but it was/ is off to one side. I have seen several with them on there and they look good. An added feature of the Formy hood, is the cover at the inlet of the cowl. It is removable and allows for the hot air to vent out from under the hood. Results= a cooler engine.
About the hood, this reminds me of when I first came to America in 1986, very shortly before 1987. One of my classmates had a 1984 (I think that was the year of it) Trans Am. It had that hood that you are mentioning that goes to the direction to one side - towards the drivers side (I think as I remember it).

So when he would push the gas peddle down to a certain amount, there was some sort of actuator I think it may have been controlled with a vaccume hose maybe, but it would cause this sort of door or vent pannel to open up. Do you understand what I am saying?

I will look for one on the internet and if I can find it, I will post it. But I do remember that little vent opening up when the gas was pressed down a certain amount while we were driving.

Yumiko
Old 09-03-2009   #19
YumikoGTA

The only Trans Am that I found on the line that had this hood opening actuator that I spoke about is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIREB...Q5fAccessories

I am unsure if this was the only model and year that this was on the car. I know my friends was a Trans Am and it was dark and light brown on the outside. I also remember the see through head rests. When I was in that car, I liked it, I thought that it was a nice car, but....I was not interested to get one and I did not think at that time that I would ever want to get one.

Funny how it turns out, I just fell in love with the GTA when I saw it for the first time.....so I got it.

About the hood, maybe someone with more information can provide more information about it then I can. They may be rare since I have only seen just one ever. Not even in wrecking yards have I seen it that I can remember. Only the one that my friend had.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 09-03-2009 at 10:14 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #20
GTA50

Not to highjack the thread, but here are some pictures of my 1984 Trans Am (with the cowl induction). You can see why it will only work for carbed engines.

GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote