Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-08-2008   #1
Josh

Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Hey everyone...have some sad news...I am most likely selling my 90 GTA soon even though i've only had it for over a year. I know some of you will tell me to keep it anyway but i've had nothing but problems and its beyond the point where its caused me to not enjoy driving my car anymore. In only 6 months of driving it i've spent over $4500 in repairs just keeping in on the road. I expected some problems but come on that's not even reasonable...that much money in repairs over a short period of time. I want to get rid of it before the motor or tranny goes cause I can forsee that happening. I like it still but not as much as I used to and have fell in love with the C5 Corvette (don't hate me lol)...to me that is now my dream car...that's not to say I wont have to do any repairs on it but being newer and i'll get one with lower miles... it can't be as bad as how my luck is with this car . I also need the money for a winter vehicle and to save for a C5...sorry everyone but it's just for the best and what makes me happy...Thanks, Josh
Old 08-08-2008   #2
gta wizard

Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

$4500 in repairs? what kind of repairs have you had to make? man for that kinda money you could have rebuilt the motor and tranny! or bought another gta with no problems...
Old 08-08-2008   #3
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Really, what has been done? I aint tryin to talk you out of it, but for that much $$$$ if it was electrical, you coulda re-wired the whole car.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #4
Josh

tuneup, intake anti-freeze leake, oil leak, fuel leak, radiator, battery, alternator, spark plugs, new fuel injectors, new rebuilt rearend with 3.42s, new toyo proxes tires, new coolant tanks, heatercore, e-brake cables, new dash, vaccum leaks, new thermostat, etc etc....just too much
Old 08-08-2008   #5
FearThisGTA

But that still doesnt add up to over 4k.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-08-2008   #6
FearThisGTA

Did you have a shop do the work or did you do it?

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-08-2008   #7
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

Unless he paid to get the work done.....
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #8
FearThisGTA

...........still thats an awful lot to pay.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-08-2008   #9
gta wizard

could have bought a pretty nice GTA for that price! probably be best to keep the car now and just store it and buy a another car cause you probably arent going to get your money back out of it!
Old 08-08-2008   #10
91gTasLp

keep the gta regardless of the problems you had, honestly working on these cars is pretty easy compared to cars now a days. plus if you keep it down the road it will be worth more then the c5 you want. these cars are getting hard to find especially one in decent condition i have been looking for one for 6 years, now i have one its my 3rd, 3rd gen and the best one yet. 4k is a lot of money not trying to pry, but it sounds like you took your car to a shop and got ripped off. if you think 4k is costly for a gta, you want a c5 vette think about if the same things fail you will spend well over 4k to fix the same problems. you have a beautiful car man i would hold on to it who cares if you put it in storage it will be worth it in the end. i just dont like to see someone sell a great car cuase they got discouraged, it also helps to do they work yourself its a lot cheaper and you will learn how the engine works. if you can work on these cars diagnostically you can work on any car.
91gTasLp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #11
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

I saw this coming a while back.... those C5's are nice cars. I have a friend with a '98 and she loves it.

Still, that's a LOT of work to have to do in just a year's time to a car to keep it road-worthy. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #12
Josh

Thanks for being supportive everyone...its a bit hard on me to do what I have to do but its for the best and what will make me happy in the end...yes it was $4500 with labor at 55/hour but remember i live in Canada....GTA's don't go for below $7000 unless its in poor condition...the reason I can't just keep it and buy a C5 is because I still have a loan to pay off on the car...I can't get my other loan from the bank unless I pay this one off so I will sell it, pay the current loan off then save the rest....otherwise if I kept it I would have to pay the loan off before anyway and I wouldn't be able to make or have enough money for my C5.......this sucks lol
Old 08-09-2008   #13
FearThisGTA

So, in other words, you wanna sell the GTA,pay off your loan, b/c you want a C5 Vette instead. So did it really have anything to do with the expenses on the GTA? Oh and btw, the C% expenses are alot higher. Not pryin, just tryin to understand thats all.
Like Frankie said though whatever you decide good luck with it.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-09-2008   #14
GTA50

Smile Re: Probably Selling My 90 GTA :(

Hi Josh:

Sorry to hear that you want to give up your GTA. I agree that $4500 is a lot in repair money over six months, but then again when I look at your list and add in the shop time, it comes out pretty close to reality. Here in BC, just outside Vancouver labor costs can range from $55 (local shop) to $125 (dealership) per hour.

As an aside, I drove my neighbor's 2003 C5 (black on black, convertible) and that is one snakey car!! I also loved the six-speed manual But not to worry guys, I sticking with my GTA. You can spend almost $4500 just doing a major brake job on the C5

Best of luck with your decision Josh. Just sad that you're giving up a car that you originally cherished so much. I hate seeing dreams turn to nightmares. Take care and definitely keep in touch.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #15
Louvers

Well Josh .... I hate to say it but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. As others have posted already, fixing a Corvette can be a lot more expensive than with our GTA's. Having said that, I can understand your pain as well as anyone because I did the exact same thing with my car.

In the first year I replaced the alternator, the battery, the smog pump, the starter, the radiator, the thermostat, the EMC, the relays, new pulleys and serpentine belt, the water pump, rebuilt the rear end, completely new AC system, completely new exhaust, new brakes, new tires, rewired many electrical issues (and that's just the mechanical stuff) and I am sure that I've forgetting some things. Like you, I do not have the time nor do I enjoy working on a car. I quit counting my expenses after awhile because it was (and still does) depress me.

Not unlike you, my problems with the GTA also dampened my excitement for the car and as many know around here ... I toyed with selling it multiple times. Also (not unlike you) my answer was to buy a Corvette with the major difference is that I was able to keep my GTA with both of my cars being paid for. All that I can say is that you are very young still and you may or may not feel differently about your decision later in life. I owned my first T/A in my twenties and I couldn't wait to get another one and finally did at 36. Our GTA's are far more unique and special than owning a later model Vette. Also, being a Vette owner is a completely different experience and you will likely encounter a much older crowd of owners. Both cars have a lot to offer .... just don't be down on the GTA because you ended up with one that had been neglected and hence needed a lot of repair work. Keep in mind, many Vettes are driven very hard and I assure you ... they will break down too. Just make certain that you have some cash on hand when they do break ... or you may find yourself even more frustrated when it's all said and done.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. I will say that you are likely ahead of the curve now with all that you've done to the GTA .... Perhaps you could store it for awhile and see if that passion that you once had for it reignites. BTW .... the C5 has a fat ass and I don't personally love the interior cabin. I really think you should get some time behind the wheel before you sign for the next bank loan. Just my .02 worth.

My Garage
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #16
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Engine: Custom

Good luck with whatever you decided, but it sounds like you've done some stuff to your car that will be stuff you won't have to worry about again for a while. As for the amount of money that you've spent...yes...it is a lot of money. Especially when you don't have a garage of may not have the knowledge to do it yourself. I know. I'm in the same situation myself with my GTA. I'm also in for a lot more than $4500 with mine. So far, this summer alone I've spent roughly $1500 in parts, $1600 in parts/labor, $900 for Stage II T56 tranny rebuild, and I still haven't paid for the labor of the conversion or the posi rebuild yet. That's roughly $4000 alone this summer. That doesn't include the $10K I spent last year in having the motor and auto tranny rebuilt just so I could get my car back on the road after sitting for eight months. The hobby of cars costs money. There is no way around it.

Having a Vette is going to cost you a lot because when most people have Vettes worked on...they take them to the dealerships. There are those folks out there that mod Vettes and take them elsewhere, but most Vette owners leave them stock except maybe an exhaust upgrade. If anything else breaks on it...be prepared to spend a lot of money. Personally, I think you'd be better off holding on to your GTA and saving the money to rebuild your engine and transmission since you're worried those might be next to go.

In order to relieve some of the upfront burdon of paying to have your motor/tranny rebuilt, start buying parts and stock pilling them. That's what I did. I bought parts and when I had amassed most of the parts, I took the car to the shop. I did the same thing this time to do my tranny conversion and rear-end rebuild.

Again, whatever you're wanting to do...good luck, but as Darrell said...the grass isn't always greener. You may be better off holding on to what you've got.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #17
Josh

Hey thanks again....I forgot to mention louvers that its the same for me when you said this "Not unlike you, my problems with the GTA also dampened my excitement for the car and as many know around here"...with all my problems it dampened my excitement as well unfortunately...and well now I've become a bit more pickier on my car. I'm starting not to like certain looks and things about it anymore such as the rear of the car, tail lights, etc...I want a car that I will feel satisfied with...there's too many things on my 90 GTA I would want done to be satisfied and therefore I feel i'm better off spending my money on something I will TRUELY care about...sorry its come to this but I have to say I originally wanted a Corvette in the first place but bought this instead. I know fixing a Corvette won't be cheaper and never said that but if I bought a C5 (1997-2004) with low miles in good condition chances are I should most likely have fewer problems than my almost 20 year old GTA has...its just I lost interest in some of the styling, etc in the GTA and I always considered it a car I really liked but it was never my dream car....and my dream car right now is the C5 for better or worse...If I could I would keep both but like I mentioned I just can't afford it and rather put my money towards whatever will make me the most happy....Thanks again though, Josh
Old 08-09-2008   #18
Louvers

Okay Josh .... here's a 2002 Z06 that you can pick up for just under 25k.

Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #19
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvers
.... the C5 has a fat ass

That is too funny, Darrell. I agree; that arse is a big one, but it's stylish. Besides, the C6s are big around the buttocks too. Maybe they are so large in the rump so that you can see the rear end longer when the 'Vette pulls away from you?

Josh, sometimes it's all about a dream car. I understand that to a "T".... a "dream car" is why everybody is talking here right now.

Best of luck to you in chasing YOUR dream.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #20
FearThisGTA

Hmmmmm, now thats a nice vette. :drool:

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles