Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-21-2008   #1
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
GTA Notchback in HPP Article

I know this was discussed in another thread, but the thread somewhat took a turn offtopic of the car. Hopefully, Frankie, this thread is OK.

It appears the HPP article is viewable online via their webpage:
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ack/index.html

I have two things to question/note:

1) Isn't the sail panel badges in the wrong location on this featured vehicle? According to Frankie's notes on this website, it's commonly misplaced in the center of the sail panel. That's where they appear on this car. If that's a case, for a 7k mile vehicle that was only a weekend car for the original owner, and now it's second owner...

2) The article mentions:
Quote:
Lou says that modifications were made to the design one more time before they reached an acceptable fit. By this time, it was late in the '88 model year.
How late, is late? The Car Distribution Bulletin was dated December 1, 1988 to announce the AA8 Notchback. Was the fitment issue taken care of at that point? Or was that bulletin before the surprise fitment issues? I would assume the first to be the case.

I ask because my GTA Notchback is dated the second week of January. I wonder how "late" is late in regarding to when the Notchback fitment issue was deemed acceptable.

It sounds to me like some GTA Notchbacks were ordered and waiting:
Quote:
Fresh notchbacks were sent out to Van Nuys where they faced the same obstacles.
So, were the already ordered GTA Notchbacks that were destined to be GTA Notchbacks, simply sitting off to the side of the assembly line until the fitment issue was taken care of?
Old 07-24-2008   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Re: GTA Notchback in HPP Article

Jeremy, sorry that I missed this post.

Yes, the sail panel "birds" are in the wrong spot.

I would have to assume that the cars were sorted out before orders were accepted for them. You'll note the CDB says that "orders and preferences will be accepted immediately" as of that December 1 date.

My black car is also a January '88 build car; I don't see them sitting cars aside until the fitment was correct. I could see them pulling GTAs off the line to check for fitment, but not leaving them off. I'll ask Lou and see what he says about it, though.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #3
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Re: GTA Notchback in HPP Article

Thanks Frankie. I ask because I personally know Leonard, who got to tour the Van Nuys plant and who owns the last 1992 Camaro built. He got to see his vehicle built. I recall him stating that anytime there was an issue with a car that could disrupt the assembly line, they simply forked the car off of the assembly line and put it off to the side. He said they would take care of the car at the end of the day. I also recall a fairly large section inside the building for those cars to work on later, which made me wondering perhaps the Notchbacks could have been stored due to the fitment issues.

Like you, I do suspect that GM would have gotten everything taken care of before the car was made available and built. But, somethings don't always make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
Jeremy, sorry that I missed this post.

Yes, the sail panel "birds" are in the wrong spot.

I would have to assume that the cars were sorted out before orders were accepted for them. You'll note the CDB says that "orders and preferences will be accepted immediately" as of that December 1 date.

My black car is also a January '88 build car; I don't see them sitting cars aside until the fitment was correct. I could see them pulling GTAs off the line to check for fitment, but not leaving them off. I'll ask Lou and see what he says about it, though.