Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-06-2008   #1
yves_transam

DIGIT DASH... strange???

Hie guys,
My 87' GTA has a digit dash but ther's someting strange...in about the levels

the oil pressure is
0 to 400

the temp is
0 to 130....degrees

Is it an option, I never see another one like this
yves_transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #2
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Re: DIGIT DASH... strange???

Hard to say for sure, your GTA I think is an export model (you are in a country outside of America I think) and there could be some options we are not so sure about in America. Also you never can tell if someone altered anything before you got it. Yumiko
Old 01-06-2008   #3
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
Hard to say for sure, your GTA I think is an export model (you are in a country outside of America I think) and there could be some options we are not so sure about in America. Also you never can tell if someone altered anything before you got it. Yumiko
no sure it's a genuine digit...not an aftermarket...my car came from VAN NUY but I bought it in QUEBEC...maybe it's the reason...I can post pics but don't know how...
Old 01-06-2008   #4
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves_transam
no sure it's a genuine digit...not an aftermarket...my car came from VAN NUY but I bought it in QUEBEC...maybe it's the reason...I can post pics but don't know how...
i have a canadian market gta and i think i have the same gauges you have. i dont have access to it in order to check but you may be able to make out the oil gauge in this photo

Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #5
88GTAEd
And my money on my mind...

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

0-400 kPa (kilopascals) and 0-130 C (celsius)
88GTAEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #6
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GTAEd
0-400 kPa (kilopascals) and 0-130 C (celsius)

yes tht's right...it must be really rare? no?

By the way when my can ran great the level was over 400 and at hot temp just under 400...
now it's 200 max...someone can tell me why...it's a very low pressure where could it come from?
Old 01-07-2008   #7
merc3065

Yeah thats definately the canadian/metric measurements.

If it was bought in Canada new, then it is for sure a Canadian exported model.

They were in very limited quantities in 1987 I hear. Only one of the guys in my club has a 1987 formula that is for sure a Canadian export.
Old 01-07-2008   #8
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988

I noticed something else different. In Wes' picture, "Unleaded Fuel Only" message is above the fuel gauge. On my digital dash equipped '88s (GTA and Trans AM), is under the fuel gauge. It's written on the bezel. In Wes', it almost looks like a plaque since it's on the top curve of the bezel?
Old 01-07-2008   #9
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT
I noticed something else different. In Wes' picture, "Unleaded Fuel Only" message is above the fuel gauge. On my digital dash equipped '88s (GTA and Trans AM), is under the fuel gauge. It's written on the bezel. In Wes', it almost looks like a plaque since it's on the top curve of the bezel?
I wish I had the car here to look at it. I want to say that its a sticker and not printed on the plastic. I could be wrong though. Not something I pay attention to.
Old 01-07-2008   #10
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

I had to review mine, too, because I wasn't sure what it was - but I knew something else was there.

This isn't mine (snagged from eBay), but you can see (not very well) that it's imprinted in the bezel under the gauge.

I've seen some Canadian digital dashes, but this is the first time I've seen that note above the fuel gauge. However, none of them have had that low mileage. It's possible that if it was a sticker, it's been long removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rddigitaldash.jpg (25.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-07-2008   #11
gtayumiko
GTA Member

It may have also changed between the different years. Wes is 1987 and JeremyT is1988.

Wes GTA is same year as mine. The only differences that I notice with my GTA compared to Wes is he has the digital dash and I have analog. Wes has the stereo slider I think it increases bass in the stereo. My GTA just has a flat plate there instead of the slider. Also my air control is different, mine is the slider style while Wes has the button style. And lastly, I notice a black button in the door jam. What is that for? My GTA does not have that black button in the lower part of the door jam.

Other then that, when I look at that photograph, I almost think I am looking at my GTA. Interesting because my GTA has slightly over 235,000 more miles then Wes GTA has. I guess I have always taken very good care of my GTA. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 01-07-2008 at 09:05 PM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #12
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
It may have also changed between the different years. Wes is 1987 and JeremyT is1988.

Wes GTA is same year as mine. The only differences that I notice with my GTA compared to Wes is he has the digital dash and I have analog. Wes has the stereo slider I think it increases bass in the stereo. My GTA just has a flat plate there instead of the slider. Also my air control is different, mine is the slider style while Wes has the button style. And lastly, I notice a black button in the door jam. What is that for? My GTA does not have that black button in the lower part of the door jam.

Other then that, when I look at that photograph, I almost think I am looking at my GTA. Interesting because my GTA has slightly over 235,000 more miles then Wes GTA has. I guess I have always taken very good care of my GTA. Yumiko
I also have a spare digital dash that I was told came from a 1987. It appears the same as my 1988s. This is the first time I've ever seen that notice above the fuel gauge and I've seen a lot of digital dashes in these cars over the years. This is probably the 6th or so digital dash I've seen that used metric measuring, but the 1st with that notice above the fuel gauge.

The digital dash option came with the push button climate control. It was RPO C67. It was part of the digital dash option. One of my black '88 GTA Notchbacks has the digital dash and push-button climate control.

The stereo slider is for the optional subwoofer option, RPO UQ7. My red GTA Notchback had that option.
Old 01-08-2008   #13
yves_transam

Quote:
I also have a spare digital dash that I was told came from a 1987. It appears the same as my 1988s. This is the first time I've ever seen that notice above the fuel gauge and I've seen a lot of digital dashes in these cars over the years. This is probably the 6th or so digital dash I've seen that used metric measuring, but the 1st with that notice above the fuel gauge.

The digital dash option came with the push button climate control. It was RPO C67. It was part of the digital dash option. One of my black '88 GTA Notchbacks has the digital dash and push-button climate control.

The stereo slider is for the optional subwoofer option, RPO UQ7. My red GTA Notchback had that option.

Hey, if my car is a rare imported vehicule...it can be possible it's an option the blacks rim? no...

To be clearer, my GTA came with black rims (and not gold...) when I bought it....just tell me more if you can...

PS how can I post big pics? thanks

The engine is a 5l7 and it's a 1/1/87
mine has a lot of options...(and no fuel notice on the dash....)
UQ7
the cigaret glover
the interior mirror withe a system about lights reflects...dont know the name
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 0061.JPG (6.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-08-2008   #14
dougdez
execute order 66

lets see more pictures of your digital setup yves,, and wes you too
Old 01-08-2008   #15
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0016.JPG (41.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0021.JPG (42.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0031.JPG (42.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0033.JPG (43.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-08-2008   #16
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Interesting. yves_transam's doesn't have the unleaded only printed under the fuel gauge either. I also noticed instead of "Brake", you have (!)(P).
Old 01-08-2008   #17
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdez
My car is in storage for the Winter. If I am up in the area in the near future, I will stop in and take a few extra pix
Old 01-08-2008   #18
Wes

Quote:
Interesting. yves_transam's doesn't have the unleaded only printed under the fuel gauge either. I also noticed instead of "Brake", you have (!)(P).
I think the most shocking aspect of the pictures of yves dash is that there is a cassette in the tapedeck!
Old 01-08-2008   #19
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves_transam
Hey, if my car is a rare imported vehicule...it can be possible it's an option the blacks rim? no...

To be clearer, my GTA came with black rims (and not gold...) when I bought it....just tell me more if you can...

PS how can I post big pics? thanks

The engine is a 5l7 and it's a 1/1/87
mine has a lot of options...(and no fuel notice on the dash....)
UQ7
the cigaret glover
the interior mirror withe a system about lights reflects...dont know the name
Yves, did you say your car is a 5.7L? It looks like it has t-tops. Yes?
Old 01-08-2008   #20
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Yves, did you say your car is a 5.7L? It looks like it has t-tops. Yes?
yes my car has TTOP and 5,7L...

new pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT00432.JPG (52.3 KB, 18 views)