Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-19-2008   #41
george88gta

Re: TPI problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsonGTA
if he is indeed adjusting the idle control screw, he would need to readjust the TPS after setting idle control screw to where he wants it.
Absolutely. I wonder if there is enough adjustment in the TPS to handle the screw being bottomed out. I reread thru this post and didnt see any response to the requests to check the basics (timing, vacumn leaks,etc.) did I miss something?
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #42
yves_transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by george88gta
Absolutely. I wonder if there is enough adjustment in the TPS to handle the screw being bottomed out. I reread thru this post and didnt see any response to the requests to check the basics (timing, vacumn leaks,etc.) did I miss something?

Hie every body...thanks yumiko everyting is super clear...

thanks everybody...

So some bad news...

My vaccum lines leaks (I could change it only next week) but i think it's not the reason of my tps position...and such a bad power) so there something wrong somewhere

So I screwed the throttle side screw at the maximum that allowes me to low the position of the tps (and up the voltage) that is near from his right position (but it's not repairing my breakdown)

Timing is good...

So I made a mistake this afternoon...I broke my IAC..so I have to buy another one....

The trouble is that my TPS value is not good (when everything is settled right)...how could it be possible?

What are the parts that can influence the tps voltage...? you understand what I mean...

Maybe it's when the TH 700 has been changed and the garagist made a bad settle on the acceleration cable?

by the way a leak can influence the tps value????

Last edited by yves_transam; 01-20-2008 at 01:13 PM.
yves_transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #43
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves_transam
Hie every body...thanks yumiko everyting is super clear...

thanks everybody...

So some bad news...

My vaccum lines leaks (I could change it only next week) but i think it's not the reason of my tps position...and such a bad power) so there something wrong somewhere

So I screwed the throttle side screw at the maximum that allowes me to low the position of the tps (and up the voltage) that is near from his right position (but it's not repairing my breakdown)

Timing is good...

So I made a mistake this afternoon...I broke my IAC..so I have to buy another one....

The trouble is that my TPS value is not good (when everything is settled right)...how could it be possible?

What are the parts that can influence the tps voltage...? you understand what I mean...

Maybe it's when the TH 700 has been changed and the garagist made a bad settle on the acceleration cable?

by the way a leak can influence the tps value????
if you have a vacuum leak, that is definitely causing a lack of power. vacuum on these cars is VERY important. and no the leak will not influence the TPS voltage. only changing the position of the TPS, can you change the voltage. you could possibly have a bad TPS, even if you just recently purchased it. do you know anybody locally that has a spare you could try on your car? i think adjusting the idle control screw might have done more harm then good. now you're going to have to mess around with both that, and the tps, to get them to where they need to be.

i would set the idle control screw to where the car idles right around 600-700 rpm when warmed up, and then readjust the TPS to the correct value.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #44
yves_transam

Quote:
if you have a vacuum leak, that is definitely causing a lack of power. vacuum on these cars is VERY important. and no the leak will not influence the TPS voltage. only changing the position of the TPS, can you change the voltage. you could possibly have a bad TPS, even if you just recently purchased it. do you know anybody locally that has a spare you could try on your car? i think adjusting the idle control screw might have done more harm then good. now you're going to have to mess around with both that, and the tps, to get them to where they need to be.

i would set the idle control screw to where the car idles right around 600-700 rpm when warmed up, and then readjust the TPS to the correct value.

ok munson...could you give me a link where to order a TPS?

I'm going to buy another one and see...
When I bought mine by rockauto there were three sorts that all seem the same but I'have a doubt now...

They seems to be the same...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2624

What is the one you advise me?

but mine was a better quality..this new one is all in plastic...

Unfortunally, thre's no friend thta can help me with a tps...
Old 01-21-2008   #45
yves_transam

Quote:
ok munson...could you give me a link where to order a TPS?

I'm going to buy another one and see...
When I bought mine by rockauto there were three sorts that all seem the same but I'have a doubt now...

They seems to be the same...

What is the one you advise me?

but mine was a better quality..this new one is all in plastic...

Unfortunally, thre's no friend thta can help me with a tps...
maybe you re right...I probably made a mistake when i order my tps...could you tell me which one is goog and the one which are bad...cause I'm going to look for the one I bought...thta will explained why I can settle it up to 054. ...
Old 01-21-2008   #46
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

you need throttle position sensor part #TH37

see if you can find yours and get a part # off of it before you order a new one. if you do decide to order a new TPS, here is a 5% discount for rock auto.

Here's how to use it:

* Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #47
yves_transam

Quote:
you need throttle position sensor part #TH37

see if you can find yours and get a part # off of it before you order a new one. if you do decide to order a new TPS, here is a 5% discount for rock auto.

Here's how to use it:

* Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.
I do appreciate thanks for the discount...

As you could see there are two TH37...which one I must buy???
On my car, I took the airtex part mpi AIRTEX Part #1P1064...you think it's bad????

Old 01-21-2008   #48
yves_transam

by the way on the same time could you tell me the reference to buy a IAC...there are some and I dont' know the one to buy...

Old 01-21-2008   #49
george88gta

Quote:
by the way on the same time could you tell me the reference to buy a IAC...there are some and I dont' know the one to buy...

Yves, if it was me and I was having as many unusual issues as you have been experiencing, I would stay with the ACDelco parts until you get the problems resolved. I looked at that Airtek TPS and the lever is held on with a flimsy washer, doesnt look like a very reliable design. If you look at the Ac Delco part you can see that the lever is swedged on , better design.
Old 01-21-2008   #50
yves_transam

yes you re right...

Could you tell me fot the good tps ref 37 and a IAC???
Old 01-21-2008   #51
george88gta

Quote:
yes you re right...

Could you tell me fot the good tps ref 37 and a IAC???
The AC Delco TPS is 213905 or GM 17111606 Rockauto lists this part. I cant find any aftermarket shops that have the AcDelco or GM IAC (GM # 17111288). You may want to head down to your local GM parts dealer to get original parts.
Old 01-23-2008   #52
yves_transam

Quote:
The AC Delco TPS is 213905 or GM 17111606 Rockauto lists this part. I cant find any aftermarket shops that have the AcDelco or GM IAC (GM # 17111288). You may want to head down to your local GM parts dealer to get original parts.
just a little precision...no dealer in france...
Old 01-23-2008   #53
george88gta

Quote:
just a little precision...no dealer in france...
Well, then it looks like Rockauto is your best bet. At least they have the AC Delco TPS.
Old 01-23-2008   #54
yves_transam

Quote:
Well, then it looks like Rockauto is your best bet. At least they have the AC Delco TPS.
that's what I usually do...i order again a new tps (which one you gave me and a iac)...and let you know...thanks your help is precious
Old 01-23-2008   #55
george88gta

Quote:
that's what I usually do...i order again a new tps (which one you gave me and a iac)...and let you know...thanks your help is precious
Good luck and dont forget to get those vacumn leaks fixed.
Old 01-24-2008   #56
yves_transam

Quote:
Good luck and dont forget to get those vacumn leaks fixed.
by the way...I look yesterday and found that tha part which is on my car is an AC DELCO TPS...maybe defective...so I ordered a Airtex one to see...but if there's the same trouble...that means a bad electrical way...no?
For the vaccum...I change them this week...
Old 01-27-2008   #57
yves_transam

Quote:
by the way...I look yesterday and found that tha part which is on my car is an AC DELCO TPS...maybe defective...so I ordered a Airtex one to see...but if there's the same trouble...that means a bad electrical way...no?
For the vaccum...I change them this week...

by the way other news...I tested the two TPS switches in ohms...(20K)
so the stock one betwenn 2,2 to highest value 7,2 (value betwenn A and B port)

same test and the the new AC DELCO one...zero to 12,8 ?????

I think that suppose my stock was good and the new one has some trouble no?
Old 01-27-2008   #58
george88gta

Quote:
by the way other news...I tested the two TPS switches in ohms...(20K)
so the stock one betwenn 2,2 to highest value 7,2 (value betwenn A and B port)

same test and the the new AC DELCO one...zero to 12,8 ?????

I think that suppose my stock was good and the new one has some trouble no?
Cant help you with this, but it doesnt sound like correct operation. I believe that the circuit should show a steady change in resistance as the lever is moved. I personally wont use an ohm meter to check these types of sensors, the correct way is with a scanner and you measure the voltage that the computer sees. If you have the correct mating contacts and some wire, you can make up jumpers and read the voltage at the TPS. Sticking the probes, from the volt/ohm meter, in to the TPS contacts will damage the tin plating and may spread the contacts open a bit. Either of these things will cause problems later on. If you have damaged the tin plating, it would be a good idea to add some grease ( preferably dielectric grease) to the contacts, to prevent moisture and vibration, from causing corrosion.
Old 01-28-2008   #59
yves_transam

Quote:
Cant help you with this, but it doesnt sound like correct operation. I believe that the circuit should show a steady change in resistance as the lever is moved. I personally wont use an ohm meter to check these types of sensors, the correct way is with a scanner and you measure the voltage that the computer sees. If you have the correct mating contacts and some wire, you can make up jumpers and read the voltage at the TPS. Sticking the probes, from the volt/ohm meter, in to the TPS contacts will damage the tin plating and may spread the contacts open a bit. Either of these things will cause problems later on. If you have damaged the tin plating, it would be a good idea to add some grease ( preferably dielectric grease) to the contacts, to prevent moisture and vibration, from causing corrosion.
I paid attention to the tin plating by chance my ohm meter has just the right connections that ovoids damages...

I wait for my new TPS switch in the end of the weenk...and let you know

Ciao
Old 02-24-2008   #60
yves_transam

i put the new TPS....but no changes...
Something strange...three TPS sensor and three measures...????
the mlast I take has a range from 0 to 8,9....don't understand noting...
Some tols me to change the vaccum hose that are all worn...the hoses are out of order as if there's nothing....but do you think that can come from this my lack of power....?