Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-04-2007   #1
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
1988 GTA RPO "Y11" - Frankie?

This message may go out to Frankie, since it is part due to information found on this website.

One of my 1988 GTA Notchbacks has the RPO code "Y11" listed, atleast on the PHS information sheet. It indicates that it was VIP Plus Package.

On this website, the RPO "Y11" for 1988 indicates it is a "Ring Gear, 10.50 Diameter, Dana Rear Axle"

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/88RPOFigures.html

Elsewhere on that page, it does list the "VIP Plus Package", but using an RPO code of "R1E" - R1E -- Package, V.I.P. Plus -- 4

Frankie, from what I've read about the VIP package, it was a customer package containing sheets of information, and an extra set of keys? Was this correct?

I guess I'm also curious as to why there is a different RPO code listed on this website? Since I do have the "VIP Plus Package", noted "Y11" on my PHS information, I would almost assume it is equal to "R1E" listed on this website, since I do not have the Dana rear axle - which this site lists as RPO "Y11". However, I highly doubt I have 1 of 4 cars.

My other two GTA Notchbacks do not have the VIP package.
Old 11-04-2007   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Re: 1988 GTA RPO "Y11" - Frankie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT
This message may go out to Frankie, since it is part due to information found on this website.

One of my 1988 GTA Notchbacks has the RPO code "Y11" listed, atleast on the PHS information sheet. It indicates that it was VIP Plus Package.

On this website, the RPO "Y11" for 1988 indicates it is a "Ring Gear, 10.50 Diameter, Dana Rear Axle"

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/88RPOFigures.html

Elsewhere on that page, it does list the "VIP Plus Package", but using an RPO code of "R1E" - R1E -- Package, V.I.P. Plus -- 4

Frankie, from what I've read about the VIP package, it was a customer package containing sheets of information, and an extra set of keys? Was this correct?

I guess I'm also curious as to why there is a different RPO code listed on this website? Since I do have the "VIP Plus Package", noted "Y11" on my PHS information, I would almost assume it is equal to "R1E" listed on this website, since I do not have the Dana rear axle - which this site lists as RPO "Y11". However, I highly doubt I have 1 of 4 cars.

My other two GTA Notchbacks do not have the VIP package.
Jeremy, I went back and checked this and you've caught me in an oversight here. The code book I have from GM (General Motors Parts Publication Reference Catalog - 1992) that I decoded many of those listed RPO codes does indeed list Y11 as the 10.50 Dana rear axle.... for 1990 through 1992. The 1988 Pontiac F Car Parts & Illustration Catalog lists Y11 as Seat Assembly, Split Front.... whereas the 1990 edition of the same catalog doesn't list the code at all.

But my red car does also have the Y11 code on the invoice (with a $17.25 dealer price) and window sticker.... and it is listed as the VIP Plus Pkg.

The VIP Plus package was a pre-delivery package offered where the car was (supposedly) given a thorough check-through and where all aspects of the car's features and operations were (again, supposedly) gone over with the customer. I received all the forms, but none of the accompanying instructions. One of my forms was checked off.... the other is still blank. The fact that the car was hurriedly sold probably accounts for the lack of form completion, whereas the lack of instruction no doubt came from the fact that I knew more about the car than the salesman.

As for the keys..... IIRC when I bought my car, I received three ignition keys and two door/trunk keys.

I'll go back and make the code change on that page ASAP. Thanks for the note.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #3
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

Thanks Frankie. But was is R1E? And only 4 GTAs have it? The description states it's the VIP Plus Package, which yours and mine both have as Y11. I imagine there probably wasn't a whole lot of VIP Plus purchases, but I'm sure we're not 2 out of 4.

My Notchback that has Y11 isn't exactly loaded, but pretty much a standard GTA. It does have the subwoofer option, which none of my others have.
Old 11-04-2007   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT
Thanks Frankie. But was is R1E? And only 4 GTAs have it? The description states it's the VIP Plus Package, which yours and mine both have as Y11. I imagine there probably wasn't a whole lot of VIP Plus purchases, but I'm sure we're not 2 out of 4.

My Notchback that has Y11 isn't exactly loaded, but pretty much a standard GTA. It does have the subwoofer option, which none of my others have.
Jeremy, no, the code for the VIP Plus was Y11 for 1988, not R1E as is on the page; that description is an erroneous entry from somewhere. I will change that ASAP. If you notice, the Y11 code is listed as the VIP Plus Package for each year through 1992.

In fact, the R1E code does not appear for any model year in any of the five General Motors RPO code books from 1988-1997 that I currently have in my possession; R7E is as close as I can find. R1E also is not listed in any of the 1987-1992 Selling Facts booklets that I have. This code only shows up in online decoders as a GM supplier order code.

Since all info that was listed back in 1998, we have all learned that the same code can have a dramatically different meaning depending on the car or truck line in which it was used. The Y11 code that shows up for the Dana axle on some decoders also now shows an SPO designation, not an RPO designation.... which would rule it out as a regular option. SPO would specify that it was only available as either a special order or through dealers parts departments. As we both can see on our cars' invoices, the Y11 code for the '88 GTA means something very different. Plus, all the "Y" codes in my RPO books designate some kind of merchandised option package.

I'm thinking that most likely the 1988 figure of 3,308 installations shown for the Dana axle is actually the total for the VIP Plus package; I have a description listed that is inaccurate.

The codes that I transferred from Pontiac had no definitions at all; the printout was just a dot matrix computer-fed sheet with RPO codes and corresponding numbers of installations for each Firebird model series. The descriptions were left up to me to figure out as best I could.... obviously, for 1988, I goofed on this particular entry.

I believe the figure to be correct listed for R1E for that year.... I just don't know what it specifies.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #5
1988TAGTA

IF it helps I too have the Y11 Vip pkg according to the Pontiac historicial ppls

SOLD JUNE 23 2012
5.7 GM Crate
Ford Racing 24# Injectors

/ Custom Chip / Headers
/ TB Coolant Bypass/ TB Air Foil
/ Smog Delete / Cold Start Delete
/ EGR Delete / A.I.R. Delete / Sub Frame Connectors
/ Poly Bushings/ Wonder Bar
1988TAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #6
88 Black GTA
GTA fanatic

My car has the Y11 package as well. My rear diif also has a tag on it that says "Spicer model 44", I don't know if that helps straighten any out, just thought I would mention it.

Firebird owners of Minnesota - Facebook.
88 Black GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #7
88 Black GTA
GTA fanatic

I guess it is not a Dana after all but the 9 bolt instead. Someone put a bogus tag on it, Borg-Warner is cast into the center section.

Firebird owners of Minnesota - Facebook.
88 Black GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #8
transamfan
trans am collector

the 88 GTA i just sold last fall had VIP package as well
transamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #9
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Black GTA
I guess it is not a Dana after all but the 9 bolt instead. Someone put a bogus tag on it, Borg-Warner is cast into the center section.
The 9-bolt is a Dana M78.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote