Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-28-2007   #1
blackbird0486

AeroWing

Hi everybody. I have an 87 GTA that I love, but it is missing the rear aerospoiler, and has been since I rescued the car from its former owner. I have tape over all the bolt holes and have tucked away the wiring for the center brake light. I got a new third brake light and housing that goes with it.
My question is, has anyone got a new aerospoiler from hawks third gen, I wanted to know how it worked with the factory mounts, and how it would work with the third brake light.
I'm trying to restore the car to its former glory so any advise would help
blackbird0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #2
kuulkatdadieo

Re: AeroWing

Search all that mess on www.thirdgen.org/techboard. They have talked about this subject a lot.
kuulkatdadieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #3
merc3065

I have a lead on a factor GM aerowing up here in one of the Mississauga warehouses in the toronto area. It is primer grey, still in the GM packaging, but the price tag is around $750cdn.

I can put you in touch with the supplier of the hard to find parts if you are looking for an OEM aerowing.
Old 10-28-2007   #4
kuulkatdadieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065
I have a lead on a factor GM aerowing up here in one of the Mississauga warehouses in the toronto area. It is primer grey, still in the GM packaging, but the price tag is around $750cdn.

I can put you in touch with the supplier of the hard to find parts if you are looking for an OEM aerowing.
Does this supplier have a website??
Old 10-29-2007   #5
mr.turbota
Trans Am collector

And what would that be in US dollars?

George

Go for the top of the food chain, and run wild!

1989 20th Anniv. Turbo Trans Am #231 (autographed by Emerson Fittapaldi in gold, winner of the 1989 Indy 500, on my dash panel glove pocket)

Featured in:

Books:
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1969-1999 Photo Album
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2000 Photo History
Firebird Trans Am by David Newhardt

Magazines:
Smoke Signals Sept 1993
Car Craft March 2000
mr.turbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #6
kuulkatdadieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.turbota
And what would that be in US dollars?

George
$785 US .
Old 10-29-2007   #7
subliminal

Screw that you can get a fiberglass one for like 350 and it will last alot longer
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #8
kuulkatdadieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminal
Screw that you can get a fiberglass one for like 350 and it will last alot longer
It will last forever. lol
Old 10-29-2007   #9
GTA50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulkatdadieo
$785 US .

Hey kuul, ROFLMAO!!!

Seriously, the Hawks price at $350 is a great deal and the aerowing will be a lot more durable. Shipping is probably the biggest expense. To compare though, I did visit the local Pontiac/GM dealership here before I ordered the Hawks wing and they told me the cost for the
OEM wing was $2100 - $2300 (CDN) - if you could get it as it is discontinued. So, the price of $750 for an OEM original is still great. Take your pick.

As for installing the Hawks wing, both I and 87bucketGTA have done it and it takes all of about 45 min. I detailed my installation (with pictures) for those interested.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #10
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...iberglass.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...wtf-hawks.html

it seems like they are hit or miss. in most cases they fix whatever is wrong.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #11
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50
As for installing the Hawks wing, both I and 87bucketGTA have done it and it takes all of about 45 min. I detailed my installation (with pictures) for those interested.
Yeah we're interested!
Coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #12
Stephen

Gee....And here I am, thinking about selling the 'glass wing off my 878 GTA, and getting a 4th gen wing (aftermarket, or custom fabbing to an OEM one) or a Mecham rear wing.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #13
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Yea Mr Gary is right, hawks is the way to go, Took maybe about an hour to put on myself. kinda would help to have a extra pair of hands to hold the brake light and soforth. But for the most part there wing is 100% right on the money. Uses the same bolt holes. Hawks wing uses a clip to attach the ends of the wing to the glass. Cant really explain it you will see it if you get one.
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #14
Stephen

Yeah. Mine is the Hawk's 'glass wing. I just thing they OEM style, is too narrow for our cars. If it was simply wider, like matching the fender width, it would look better, IMHO. Kinda like, our spoiler on steroids.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #15
GTA50

As promised, here is my version of installing the Hawks aerowing:

Enjoy.

Gary.

Installation Instructions

85-90 GTA Style Rear Spoiler (Aerowing)

1. Open back hatch of car (approximately 8-10 inches an support the hatch) and remove black plastic plugs underneath the lid on the outside edges and the centre. These cover the screws for the back edges of the aerowing (outside) as well as for the third brake light (center).

2. Place the aerowing on the back of the hatch and screw in the two large Phillips headed bolts into the pre-drilled holes of the aerowing.
Tighten the bolts only enough to keep the aerowing from moving on its own.

3. Adjust the placement of the aerowing such that the front tips line up with the marks from the original aerowing on the hatch window frame. If you do not have marks from the original aerowing, on my car the front tip should be placed at 26 1/8 from the front edge of the deck lid.

4. Mark on the aerowing with a pencil the front and back edges of each of the six clips that will hold the tips down. There are three on each side.

5. If the clips have been removed and you need to re-install them, the distances from the back edge of the window are to the end of each clip are (clips are 5 cm long):

Left side: 4.6; 28.9 and 53.2 cm

Right side: 5.5; 28.7; and 54.2 cm

(At least that is what the distances are for my car). Also note that if the clips are being put back on the car that they will need to be tack welded. Be very careful to provide a low heat and or proper heat sink so as not to crack the glass. There may be an adhesive that works, but Im not aware of one at present.

6. Note the shape of the clip. The heads of the screws to be installed will fit into the wide opening of the clip and slide back. I decided have the final position of the screw head to be 3 cm back from the forward edge of the clip (if that makes sense). This gives room for some final adjustment for position if necessary.

7. Remove the aerowing from the car and invert it on a firm, level
surface. Using a square, transfer the pencil marks from the sides to
the bottom of the wing.

8. Measure back 3 cm from the front pencil mark for each clip and
make a mark. Now measure at this new mark to the centre of each
notch in the aerowing. Drill a hole at the centre mark. I used a
9/64 drill bit. Drill slowly. The aerowing fiberglas is only about
1/8 thick!! This is all that holds the wing in place!!

9. Insert the appropriate screws (#8) with a screw at the tip, 1 screw in the middle and a 1 screw at the back. Adjust the screws to provide for a tight fit when you slide them into the clips. Hawks suggests the heads of the screws be just below the edge of the spoiler.

10. Attach the third brake light to the aerowing.

11. Peel the backing off the gaskets and apply to the spoiler bottom
(over the bolt holes in the spoiler and the third brake light).

12. Place the aerowing on the car body so that the screw heads are ready to slide into the clips. In practice I did it on my own, but preferably have someone help you with it. Starting from the back clips (as the aerowing is most rigid at its thickest point of course), fit the screw heads into the clips, then the middle and finally the tip. This is where the assistance of a friend comes in.

13. There is quite a degree of flexibility in the tips, but try to have any stresses balanced so that down the road no stress fractures develop. Now, with the screw heads engaged, slide the wing back into position. This may involve some gentle tapping (you may used a block of wood, but be gentle) as the screw heads should be fairly tight against the clips.

14. Line up the tips with the marks on the window frame. Your
marks for the clips should also line up with the clips themselves.

15. Attach the back edge of the spoiler to the deck lid with the hardware provided and replace the black plastic covers over the holes. The deck lid and the aerowing should now be ready for painting.
Old 10-30-2007   #16
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I would strongly advise you not to get the factory aerowing unless you do not plan to drive it and have it as a show car. If you plan to drive the car and have it exposed to the elements of weather, it would be more wise to just get the fiberglass one. But you could always purchase the factory one and not put it on and then some day when you want to sell the car, you can then put the factory one on and it may increase the value of the car, in the opinion of the collector. Yumiko
Old 10-30-2007   #17
kuulkatdadieo

[QUOTE=GTA50]Hey kuul, ROFLMAO!!! [QUOTE]

A simple google currency calculator check later, and I found out that my dollar is worth more in Canada. Who would have known?? I'll tell you what if, Hillary Clinton becomes President I'll be moving to your neck of the woods. Probably not, but its an idea. lol.

IMO. The fiberglass one is the way to go: no warpage, same price, easier to paint. One day when I get some change in my pocket, I know what I'll be getting. This simile looked funny: so I put in.

Sorry for the random chatter I just posted, but it's been get slow on the (PAGE) IMO; and I have a problem over at TGO. Just overall a slow couple weeks. Where's Louvers(Darrell) at?? Havn't seen him on here in awhile.

Have a wonderful day

Garrett

Last edited by kuulkatdadieo; 10-30-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2007   #18
merc3065

As to a website for the supplier, no.

The guy is the owner of a company called Fire-aro. They find all the hard to find parts OEM or otherwise for firebirds and camaro's. They were located in Dundalk for a while before they moved down to Mississauga Ontario.

I have to find his telephone # as it's somewhere buried in my piles of notes.
The guy is a real pleasure to deal with and will go out of his way to find NOS parts for his customers, however, remember that you will more likely pay a premium for those NOS parts, like the standard replacement GM price for the aerowing...
Old 10-30-2007   #19
GTA50

Just thought I should mention that I couldn't upload the documentation plus the pictures...so, send me a PM and I can send the entire document plus pictures to clear up any confusion that may result.

Gary.
Old 10-30-2007   #20
sd89GTA
Locked, Cocked, Ready to Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA50
Just thought I should mention that I couldn't upload the documentation plus the pictures...so, send me a PM and I can send the entire document plus pictures to clear up any confusion that may result.

Gary.
Even without the pics, those instructions are a big bonus to this site in general.
sd89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote