Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-14-2007   #1
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Question Odometer Question?

When restoring a car I have often wondered whether one should put the odometer back to zero or leave it as it is. I think in a concours coar they turn it back to zero. What does everyone else think? I myself am not sure on this one.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #2
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Re: Odometer Question?

How are you going to "roll back" the odometer? They are built in a way where if you force it back the numbers in there, it will damage it in a way where there will be yellow sticking out on one side, I have read that in some documentation that I have. It is either in the Haynes Manual or owners manual of my GTA, unsure exactly where but I do know that I read that and saw a diagram of what it is supposed to look like after someone has done that to their car odometer.

Also, if you "roll back" the odometer, there may be some documentation at your DMV which will show this inconsistancy and then your car will have a "roll back" discrepancy on the carfax reports and at the DMV. If you do not mind that report documentation, I guess there is no problem. But if you try and sell it some day, the potential buyer will see it and perhaps base their decision to purchase your car or to lower their price based on that report.

But the best thing to do is just leave the odometer alone, but just document what the mileages were before the work was done. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 08-14-2007 at 10:55 AM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #3
FearThisGTA

Oh no thats not what I am talkin about, sorry, my mistake. What I am talking about is say as in your car that you have done a ground up resto, you can buy all new gauges from Classic Industries with zero miles on them so my question is how would that work, b/c I think on a concours car thats what they do.
Thats what I actually meant.
Again my apologies for not explaining it better. Sorry.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-14-2007   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

If you replace the odometer with the one you want from that place that you mention, I guess the only thing you could do is perhaps just note down the mileage of the car before you replace this piece and then every time you go in for smog or something like that, you mention it to them about the mileage issue. Because if you do not and you put 3,000 miles on your car (hypothetically) and then get smog test and they note it down only the 3,000, that mileage will be noted down electronically to the DMV and then your cars report will indicate "roll back". I guess if it became an issue when you were selling it, you could explain that to the prospective buyer. But to remove that discrepancy from the official report may be completely impossible. Look how stupid they are at the DMV on regular issues. Asking them to do something out of the ordinary at the DMV is like asking a monkey to conduct testing on an Einstein theory. Yumiko
Old 08-14-2007   #5
Stephen

As long as everything is presented before hand, not hidden, or discovered by the buyer later, and THEN revealed/admitted to, most buyers won't care.

Unless you claim that 30 year old car only had 10,000 miles on it, and the new odometer only shows 100 miles. Then the buyer is going to wonder if you are trying to hide the 180,000 miles, or even other stuff.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #6
FearThisGTA

LOL. I hear ya but ya know in a few years now the GTA's will be exempt from the emissions testing anywho, so after that and more people start restorin them it will be intersting.

Oh and Yumiko, you killed me on that last part.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-14-2007   #7
Stephen

Yep! I have 3 more years, and I'm done!

17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 08-14-2007   #8
gtayumiko
GTA Member

In California, we have to smog test our vehicles every two years after the car becomes five years old and every time the car is sold. For the last 15 years or so, the law in California has not changed....and that law is, 1973 and older are the only cars that do not require smog testing. Next year it will be 1973 and the next year after that it will be 1973 and the next year after that will be 1973. This is what some people that I know in California have a missconception on. They for some reason think that each year it goes up one year. Unless laws change, the smog test exempt year will continue to be 1973 in California. I do not think this law will change. It would be nice if it did and my car would no longer require it. I do not mind the testing, I just would like to spend my money on something other then the testing expense.

If any of the other states have not got these same laws, as soon as and if Hillary becomes President, they will. Personally, (I hope I do not get into trouble again...ref "hack job") but I do not think Hillary should be a President. She does not mind her husband cheating, does not even ever admit that he was wrong for doing it. I (as a woman) would have had more respect for her if she would have left that punk cheater. I have completely left guys for cheating on me when I found out. Because when the trust is broken, there is nothing special left, in my opinion. Specific experiences should never be shared with others, only with each other....together, no one else.

And since I have a GTA and I like driving my GTA I think if Hillary becomes President, a lot of Gore ideas about saving the planet will be activated, which will affect me because I own a GTA and many of what that guy does is against stuff that has to do with stuff against running a GTA.......unfortunately. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 08-14-2007 at 03:36 PM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #9
FearThisGTA

Yumko, you mean YOU dont like Hillary?

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-14-2007   #10
Stephen

Here in Texas, but only in a few of the counties...

In 2011, I'm done testing! All I'd have is the safety portion, which is like $12.

Texas emissions Law Outline

# Subject Vehicles: All 2-24 year old gasoline vehicles are subject to emissions testing.

# Test Method: Model Year 1996 and newer vehicles will be subject to On-board Diagnostic (OBD) testing, and Model Year 1995 and older vehicles will be subject to Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) testing.

3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 08-14-2007   #11
FearThisGTA

Well, I am lcuky where we are at we dont have it, YET. BUT, the treehuggers are hollerin fer it somthin fierce. So until then, I guess we are lucky.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-14-2007   #12
Klortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
Well, I am lcuky where we are at we dont have it, YET. BUT, the treehuggers are hollerin fer it somthin fierce. So until then, I guess we are lucky.
Well, they don't have it in the portion you live in, if you lived in the perimeter you would

However, I have taken my odometer in a gauge cluster I bought and put it on the milage the body had on it according to the last DMV record on the car, there is nothing in the odometer that will put a little yellow tag or anything in it to show it was rolled back. If you take the odometer completely out, take the electric motor off of it it rolls back easy.
Old 08-14-2007   #13
FearThisGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klortho
Well, they don't have it in the portion you live in, if you lived in the perimeter you would

However, I have taken my odometer in a gauge cluster I bought and put it on the milage the body had on it according to the last DMV record on the car, there is nothing in the odometer that will put a little yellow tag or anything in it to show it was rolled back. If you take the odometer completely out, take the electric motor off of it it rolls back easy.

Naaaaa, I used to live just north of the ATL and I had my tag registered at my mothers addy and if they do it state wide then I have a rleative in Alabama.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-14-2007   #14
sd89GTA
Locked, Cocked, Ready to Rock

man, that must be nice! In SoCal, like yumiko says, gotta be every two years, and mine is due in December, hope it passes...
sd89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #15
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I will look in my books again tonight and see exactly what it said about the yellow marks on the one sides of the numbers if it is rolled backwards. I remember it clearly.

And yes, I do not like Hillary that much. I really do not like the Clintons in general and I think it is because my country (Japan) relies on the American Military for protection from countries such as North Korea. As little as I know about the Clinton Administration, what I do remember is that the Clintons make the American Military smaller which in turn makes it harder for the American Military to protect Japan. Maybe I do not know what I am talking about since I do not work for the American government and I am not American, but maybe I know some things......It seems that everyone that I know who came to America to escape a bad country are the ones who love America even more then some of the people who were born in America but are anti-military. I just do not understand that. Perhaps they have never been unfortunate enough to experience some bad things and so they are a bit nieve in regards to this topic. Yumiko
Old 08-14-2007   #16
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom

Both of my 'Birds are registered in FL. WOOHOO! No state inspections for me. Even if I had them registered in NC, they'd just have a safety inspection. I'm glad that when I finally get back to TX they'll be over the 25 year threshhold and will only require a safety inspection. Especially after what is going to be done to my car. :x

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #17
FearThisGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
I will look in my books again tonight and see exactly what it said about the yellow marks on the one sides of the numbers if it is rolled backwards. I remember it clearly.

And yes, I do not like Hillary that much. I really do not like the Clintons in general and I think it is because my country (Japan) relies on the American Military for protection from countries such as North Korea. As little as I know about the Clinton Administration, what I do remember is that the Clintons make the American Military smaller which in turn makes it harder for the American Military to protect Japan. Maybe I do not know what I am talking about since I do not work for the American government and I am not American, but maybe I know some things......It seems that everyone that I know who came to America to escape a bad country are the ones who love America even more then some of the people who were born in America but are anti-military. I just do not understand that. Perhaps they have never been unfortunate enough to experience some bad things and so they are a bit nieve in regards to this topic. Yumiko
Yumiko, I was stationed in S. Korea in the early 80's and there;s one thing I can tell you for sure and that you learn an awful lot about this country when you go overseas. I learned more in the short time I was there then I did the entire 12 years of school. Kind a sad.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 08-14-2007   #18
strc09

I have to agree with Cliff and I agree with Yumiko as well. Each time I go overseas somewhere I'm amazed at how much other countries want to be like us. At the same time there are several people in those countries that want to emulate Americans but hate our guts at the same time so you have to be careful. It's weird.

Anyway, as for the Clintons...I'm not a fan either. I know this will probably spark debate because it's "politics" but I'm going to say it anyway. Sorry in advance Frankie for stirring the pot...

Historically Democrats have not been kind to the military. During many Democratic Presidential years that is when many of the military cuts occur to our budget. They say that they support the military, but yet they take our money for new and improved equipment that could save our lives or better defend us for other purposes such as their own benefit. Democrats say that they support the poor, but yet they make the poor even poorer. Case in point...pay raises to the military are also historically lower which broadens the cost of living gap between us and the civilian sector.

During Clinton's presidency it got so bad that many military families were on welfare. It wasn't until the last year before his presidency ended that his administration finally took steps to close that gap. Luckily I wasn't in that situation since I just got married as he was on his way out, but I knew several people that were hurting. It's very sad when the people that volunteer to lay down their lives in defense of this country are on welfare and is highly embarassing for the US government.

Republicans are kind to the military. The fund us and work to get our pay and benefits on par with what our civilian counterparts are earning for the most part. We'll never be equal but at least it's a step in the right direction. Therefore they get my vote regardless. I don't agree with every choice they make nor do I support each choice, but with what I do for a living it sure beats the alternative.

As I said, I've probably stirred the pot and I apologize Frankie.

I hate talking about politics...

Old 08-15-2007   #19
Louvers

Patrick,

I dont' think that you are going to have a lot of opposition in your opinion about Hilary. What scares me more than anything is the lack of quality choices ahead. Hopefully someone will surface that's actually worthy of being our President. I am personally not a fan of the Clinton's or the Bush's. Everyone seems to forget that we had a republican congress since '94 (6 years of Clinton's term) but yet somehow everything bad got blamed on Clinton. Again, I am not defending him and I agree with Yumiko. My point is simply that both sides are just as corrupt and self serving as the other.

Darrell

My Garage
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #20
strc09

Thanks Darrell.

I know there was a Repubilcan Congress for most of Clinton's Presidency, but at the same time they can only do so much without the veto from him. Don't take it as I'm defending them because I'm not and I totally agree that both parties are just as selfish and corrupt as the other. A politician is like a good Ford...they don't exist. LOL!