Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-31-2007   #101
george88gta

Talking Re: hard start and intermittant miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065
I have a funny feeling you might be in for a surprise when those vortec style heads don't bolt to your TPI intake...

The Vortec style bolt pattern is completely different than the stock SBC gen 1 bolt pattern.

Also, the vortecs are not emissions legal on a thirdgen. You need to have an external EGR.

Check out this article...

Chevy Hi Performance Article on SD TPI Vortec Intake manifold
We will see. I specifically asked the shop guys and the sales guy about reusing the stock TPI manifold. I did this over the phone and in writing. They both said that the heads are drilled for the stock style TPI intake. I am aware of the emissions issue, but around here all they do is a visual inspection. Car has all of the other emissions equipment installed and working. correctly, so all I will be missing is a working EGR. Who knows, maybe there will be a new set of aluminum Vortec heads up for sale in the near future.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #102
george88gta

Re: hard start and intermittant miss

Well. the heads showed up today. They are Procomp 3002S heads. I checked the Procomp website and they are listed as SBC heads, no mention of vortec. The intake ports are .200" and they match up nicely with the stock intake gasket (TPI). All required bolt holes are there. I matched them up with a TBI intake and there is close to .250" of intake metal above the head intake port. Hopefully they will seal. The combustion chambers have a heart shape to them, not the standard bowl shape of a Chevy head. Guess they are vortec or a vortec style head. Hope to get the rest of the parts soon and get them installed next month. Obviously, more to follow.
Old 09-11-2007   #103
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

If they are 200's then you are gonna need to get a different intake system, for them to work their best, like a HSR, Mini Ram, OR the Accel Super Ram. hth

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #104
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
If they are 200's then you are gonna need to get a different intake system, for them to work their best, like a HSR, Mini Ram, OR the Accel Super Ram. hth
OK, so I cant type. What I was trying to say was that the intake ports are 2.0" tall, measured with a ruler, so not totally accurate. They are advertised as 190cc runners. Right now I am mostly interested in getting the engine running properly. I can address more performance later, after I get it running right. Dont want to make too many mods at one time.
Old 09-11-2007   #105
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I hear ya, no biggie,anywho you will still need to get one of those intakes mentioned.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote