Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-18-2007   #61
DUBGTA88

Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a picture of how the firing order works for the intake base. I want to know whats the order they start in. Im just curious on why was the first designed slp runners done the way they were. Were they trying to get the tri-y affect on the runners.
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #62
DUBGTA88

Ok guys Ive been thinking long and hard. And I came up with a theory on why slp made the first design the way they did. Ok so the passenger side of the runners the back is fully siamesed right which are cylinders 6&8. Now on the drivers side they are the font cylinders 1&3 that are fully siamesed. Do you think slp did this to the 1&3rd cylinder so the runners can pick up more torque and HP in the lower rpm band. But at the same time left cylinders 2,4,5,and 7 semi-siamened to keep the hp and torque leveled out. But towards the end let it pic up more air so it can top out at higher rpm by fully siamesing the 6&8 part of the runner. Its just something that came to mind when I started really thinking about it. So what do you guys think?
Old 05-19-2007   #63
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

They basically did it because they wanted a compromise. The fully siamesed runners would make top end HP while the semi siamesed runners made low end torque.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #64
DUBGTA88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
They basically did it because they wanted a compromise. The fully siamesed runners would make top end HP while the semi siamesed runners made low end torque.
Why didnt you try doing just that on your runners? If you dont mind me asking.
Old 05-19-2007   #65
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBGTA88
Why didnt you try doing just that on your runners? If you dont mind me asking.

Too hard to do. Besides, I was in no hurry. I had the rest of the SLP Performance Package parts such as the Tri-Y headers, which boost torque anyway. I only had the SLP runners on my car for a year anyway before I switched to the SLP T-RAM intake manifold.

Old 05-20-2007   #66
DUBGTA88

Quote:
Too hard to do. Besides, I was in no hurry. I had the rest of the SLP Performance Package parts such as the Tri-Y headers, which boost torque anyway. I only had the SLP runners on my car for a year anyway before I switched to the SLP T-RAM intake manifold.
Yeah that true. Well im going to give it a try. You never know I might be able to get it. Im also going to be getting some slp headers next month. But I bo wish the could be the tri-ys. Im also going to be getting the mufflex 4 inch flowmaster with 3 inch exit.
Old 05-20-2007   #67
DUBGTA88

what is are intake base made of aluminum or cast iron. Also what are slp runners made of to. Im just asking becouse im not sure what tools to use for the porting.
Old 05-21-2007   #68
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Both are made of aluminum. If you're going to take off your intake base, make absolutely certain that no dirt and debris fall into the lifter galley below the manifold. When you do put it back on, make sure you clean the galley thoroughly.

Old 05-21-2007   #69
DUBGTA88

Quote:
Both are made of aluminum. If you're going to take off your intake base, make absolutely certain that no dirt and debris fall into the lifter galley below the manifold. When you do put it back on, make sure you clean the galley thoroughly.
Sorry a little slow what the galley?
Old 05-21-2007   #70
Stephen

Lift the lower intake...the top of the bock is referred to as the lifter galley. Lifters, lifter retainers, pushrods...All in that area.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #71
DUBGTA88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Lift the lower intake...the top of the bock is referred to as the lifter galley. Lifters, lifter retainers, pushrods...All in that area.
Ok thanks for the info.