Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007   #1
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Smile Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

The other day I was on slp's wedsite. I looked under the scratch/dent items and found some slp runner for my car. They had a cosmetic defect it looked like a stain. Well the point is that they cost $345 and i got them for $289!!!!! Im so happy I've been happy all weak long . Well now Its time to get down to business is their a right and wrong way of installing them. I remember someone sayn that slp runners have alot of meat on them (I think it was you cliff). And if I really want some power I need to take some of that meat of. Well any suggestions would be appriciated thanks. Im not sure if this info matter but my car is a 350 tpi.
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

They do have alot of meet on them, which is perfect for some serious portin.
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #3
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 1,656


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Out of the box, the new design SLP runners suck. BUT... port the snot out of them and watch your tach needle fly to 5500...

On mine, I enlarged the ports at the where it's siamesed to make it act as part of the plenum. I also port matched the bottom of the runners to match my Accel base. The openings are huge compared to what they used to be out of the box. I'll see if I can post pics later.

I got my set 4 years ago, when Summit was having a clearance sale on them.... $200 brand new...
__________________
Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again

Last edited by Fred91GTA; 05-10-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #4
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
They do have alot of meet on them, which is perfect for some serious portin.
Thats what I want to do so I can get the most power out of them. But how would I know how much to port dont want to over port. I also want to make sure it matches with the top and lower part.
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #5
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
Out of the box, the new design SLP runners suck. BUT... port the snot out of them and watch your tach needle fly to 5500...

On mine, I enlarged the ports at the where it's siamesed to make it act as part of the plenum. I also port matched the bottom of the runners to match my Accel base. The openings are huge compared to what they used to be out of the box. I'll see if I can post pics later.

I got my set 4 years ago, when Summit was having a clearance sale on them.... $200 brand new...
THATS A GOOD DEAL!!!!!! I wish I could have bought my runners for that price. PLEASE!!!! if you can get some pics that would be great. Im not sure how much I should port I dont want to brake them or something. Like I said I want to get the MAX power out of the runner. Well thanks
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #6
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBGTA88
Thats what I want to do so I can get the most power out of them. But how would I know how much to port dont want to over port. I also want to make sure it matches with the top and lower part.
Since I have never personally ported a set, IMO, I would look at the set Fred has and use those for a guide. I dont think you can go wrong there.
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #7
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
Since I have never personally ported a set, IMO, I would look at the set Fred has and use those for a guide. I dont think you can go wrong there.
Did you get yours ported (if so by who)? Does fred have a post on his porting somewere in the forum?
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #8
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 1,656


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBGTA88
Did you get yours ported (if so by who)? Does fred have a post on his porting somewere in the forum?

Well, I'm about to give you some pointers. When I ported my runners, I port matched them to a set of Accel large tube TPI runner gaskets. I just cut out the divider in the middle. I also ported the plenum to match. What I did in essence was try to expand the siamese area to make it act more as part of the plenum. I used a dremel with metal cutters and a long 6-inch shaft carbide bit to get deep into the runner. I didn't lengthen the siamese, I just widened the area.

Go slow and take your time. It's a really tedious process... Also, make sure you wear goggles and a respirator!!! You WILL have aluminum flakes flying all around you so a long sleeve shirts works too... Unless you like plucking aluminum shavings out of your skin...

If you want to see some pics, go to My Album

You'll also get a peek at the polish work I did to my TPI.
__________________
Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #9
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 1,656


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

As you can see, I tried to smooth out the walls as much as I could. I enlarged the bottom ports to match an Accel Super Ram intake manifold base. I tried to get in as deep as possible but it's impossible to get the whole runner. At least it should provide much better flow than in stock SLP form. I'm trying to get my hands on a set of the first design SLP Runners. Those runners are the shiznit...
__________________
Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #10
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
Well, I'm about to give you some pointers. When I ported my runners, I port matched them to a set of Accel large tube TPI runner gaskets. I just cut out the divider in the middle. I also ported the plenum to match. What I did in essence was try to expand the siamese area to make it act more as part of the plenum. I used a dremel with metal cutters and a long 6-inch shaft carbide bit to get deep into the runner. I didn't lengthen the siamese, I just widened the area.

Go slow and take your time. It's a really tedious process... Also, make sure you wear goggles and a respirator!!! You WILL have aluminum flakes flying all around you so a long sleeve shirts works too... Unless you like plucking aluminum shavings out of your skin...

If you want to see some pics, go to My Album

You'll also get a peek at the polish work I did to my TPI.

So in other words the bigger the port the better? Im kind of getting the picture, I guess. Well what im going to do this weakend is take the hole top part out of my engine and take a look at what im going to have to do. I checked my tracking # and it says the runners should be getting to me on tuesday. And were can I get some Accel large tube TPI runner gaskets. That should help alot on my porting. Also I notice that on the middle of the top runners their has nothing to match the plenum. Did you do that or was it like that? And did you take the middle part of the plenum to match the runners.
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #11
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
As you can see, I tried to smooth out the walls as much as I could. I enlarged the bottom ports to match an Accel Super Ram intake manifold base. I tried to get in as deep as possible but it's impossible to get the whole runner. At least it should provide much better flow than in stock SLP form. I'm trying to get my hands on a set of the first design SLP Runners. Those runners are the shiznit...
I see what you were trying to do. I just hope my porting is as good as yours. I wonder why they stoped making the first designs of slp runners if they were so good?
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #12
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBGTA88
Did you get yours ported (if so by who)? Does fred have a post on his porting somewere in the forum?
No, I didnt I actually sold mine and bought set Accel runners for a 100 bucks. And I see Fred answered your other question.
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #13
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 1,656


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

My porting isn't all that good. There really is nothing to it. Just make sure to try and get all your ports to roughly the same size. I also went ahead and used a flapwheel on my ports to smoothen them out.

The first design SLP Runners were really something. If you take one bank of runners, the first 2 tubes would be siamesed and the second pair of tubes would be partially siamesed. Either way, the ports were bigger than stock. The idea behind them was that the fully siamesed tubes would make high end hp, while the semi siamesed portion would make torque in the low end. On the outside, the runners look exactly the same as the new design runners. The main reason why SLP decided to change the design was because they were getting too many complaints and letters of concern that the cylinders that were connected to the fully siamesed tubes would be running leaner than the cylinders with semi-siamesed runners. The truth is, they were probably the best design SLP ever put out. They outperform my ported SLPs in stock form.
__________________
Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #14
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC
 
strc09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Linden, NC
Posts: 1,405



GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

I've got them, but haven't really gotten to see them in action yet since my car went down so I don't have anything to base it on. I'm looking forward to seeing what the improvement is. Congrats on the good deal.
__________________
-Patrick

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #15
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
My porting isn't all that good. There really is nothing to it. Just make sure to try and get all your ports to roughly the same size. I also went ahead and used a flapwheel on my ports to smoothen them out.

The first design SLP Runners were really something. If you take one bank of runners, the first 2 tubes would be siamesed and the second pair of tubes would be partially siamesed. Either way, the ports were bigger than stock. The idea behind them was that the fully siamesed tubes would make high end hp, while the semi siamesed portion would make torque in the low end. On the outside, the runners look exactly the same as the new design runners. The main reason why SLP decided to change the design was because they were getting too many complaints and letters of concern that the cylinders that were connected to the fully siamesed tubes would be running leaner than the cylinders with semi-siamesed runners. The truth is, they were probably the best design SLP ever put out. They outperform my ported SLPs in stock form.
Fred,

Do you have a pic showin the difference between the 1st and 2nd design runners? The reason I say this is b/c I think I had a set and sold them for a 100 bucks!
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #16
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
My porting isn't all that good. There really is nothing to it. Just make sure to try and get all your ports to roughly the same size. I also went ahead and used a flapwheel on my ports to smoothen them out.

The first design SLP Runners were really something. If you take one bank of runners, the first 2 tubes would be siamesed and the second pair of tubes would be partially siamesed. Either way, the ports were bigger than stock. The idea behind them was that the fully siamesed tubes would make high end hp, while the semi siamesed portion would make torque in the low end. On the outside, the runners look exactly the same as the new design runners. The main reason why SLP decided to change the design was because they were getting too many complaints and letters of concern that the cylinders that were connected to the fully siamesed tubes would be running leaner than the cylinders with semi-siamesed runners. The truth is, they were probably the best design SLP ever put out. They outperform my ported SLPs in stock form.
So what your sayn is that the first 2 tubes of the runners are for horse power and the last 2 are for torque? So when I port the first 2 they should be bigger then the last 2?
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #17
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
No, I didnt I actually sold mine and bought set Accel runners for a 100 bucks. And I see Fred answered your other question.
Why did you do that? Are accels better then slp?
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #18
DUBGTA88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 165


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Also if I do the porting I want to make sure that both my torque and hp go up. Will that happen? Or by porting will their be a loss of one and gain in the other?
DUBGTA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #19
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"
 
FearThisGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In front of you....
Posts: 4,742



GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBGTA88
Why did you do that? Are accels better then slp?
IMO, yes they are. But I will tell ya they are so big that they are a pita to install.
__________________


Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #20
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 1,656


Re: Good Deal On Some Slp Runners!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBGTA88
So what your sayn is that the first 2 tubes of the runners are for horse power and the last 2 are for torque? So when I port the first 2 they should be bigger then the last 2?
No no, that was the first design SLP runner. The new design which is what you have now all have the same runner tubes. Just that all the runners are siamesed equally. Just enlarge your ports and the siamese to get more upper rpm hp.

IMHO, the hands down best long tube runners are the AS&M semi-siamesed runners. These things are huge and have the same basic design as the SLP runner new design, but extend the siamese about halfway down. I have a set too... Just finishing up the polish work on them...
__________________
Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slp runners graphicideas1 GTA TECH 3 02-12-2007 05:35 PM
slp runners, edelbrock base and more mrr23 GTA PARTS FOR SALE 1 06-02-2003 08:05 PM
SLP runners Fred91GTA GTA TECH 4 12-19-2002 09:45 PM
SLP vs AS&M runners MrNova GTA TECH 4 12-12-2002 12:40 AM
Is this a good deal? MrNova GTA TECH 7 10-14-2002 01:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.