Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-28-2007   #1
Stephen

Tail light center section

Where did my center section come from?

It has the correct GTA emblem inset, but has PONTIAC lettering on the red reflective strip. I can't find any other Firebird that had the PONTIAC lettering on the reflective strip. My 89 GTA, nor ANY Firebird pic ANYWHERE doesn't have it. What gives?

But my rear bumper does have the "embedded" PONTIAC" like every other Firebird.

5.7/700R4/3.27 M78--4th gen front seats/stock split rear seats--
17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #2
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: Tail light center section

Are they stuck on letters? If so, they cuold have been put on by a previous owner. Other than that...I couldn't tell you.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #3
Stephen

They are plastic ltters, and certainly appear to be built that way, not home-made, if that is what you meant.

17x9 275/40s front/17x11 315/35s rear custom widened & powdercoated ROH Snypers--02 Rear wing
3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 03-28-2007   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Obviously you are only looking for some special specific answer because everyone has given you nearly every possibility that there is available and so far you are not satisfied.

So what do you think of why it is this way? Yumiko
Old 03-28-2007   #5
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtayumiko
Obviously you are only looking for some special specific answer because everyone has given you nearly every possibility that there is available and so far you are not satisfied.

So what do you think of why it is this way? Yumiko
What gives?

ONE person has responded, and he has no real answer, only a question about them.

And yes, I AM looking for a specific answer, as to where it cane from. Hell, I can give the answer "It came on a 3rd gen gen Firebird.", but that's not exactly an answer, is it?

What's wrong with "Where did my center section come from?"? Is that SO hard? I realize it may be difficukt to narrow down, but geez girl...

3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 03-28-2007   #6
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I wish I could tell you but I just dont know. Thats not exactly my specialty.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #7
Stephen

No problem. I don't think it came on any GTA, wasn't on my buddies TTA eithet, just wondering WHAT Firebird they did come on, since I can't even find a pic of another with one, yet it certainly appears stock, not custom fabbed.

3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 03-28-2007   #8
janlarsson
F-Body Member

Got one sitting in my garage and it came from a 87 TA ..... the reflective strip got PONTIAC molded in to it (embossed) .... TTAs got a stick on strip in black with TURBO on it.

1989 TTA #1078 - 1 of 3 in the UK
janlarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #9
janlarsson
F-Body Member

Forgot to mention, the gold bird emblem on your only came on GTA's

1989 TTA #1078 - 1 of 3 in the UK
janlarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #10
gtayumiko
GTA Member

So the answer "It came on a 3rd gen Firebird" that you gave is most likely going to be the one you will need to live with, "but that's not exactly an answer" so most likely someone took the GTA center piece, removed the original reflective strip and replaced it with the stripping that: "came from a 87 TA ..... the reflective strip got PONTIAC molded in to it (embossed)." Now that seems like the most realistic and obvious explanation in my opinion. Yumiko
Old 03-29-2007   #11
eidolon

There were many variations on that center piece for third gens, and the gold bird can be popped out of the GTA ones and put into another variety. I'd say your original one was probably cracked or something, and the previous owner decided to put the gold bird into a fresh center piece from a vanilla Firebird that used that style of center section.
eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #12
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidolon
There were many variations on that center piece for third gens, and the gold bird can be popped out of the GTA ones and put into another variety. I'd say your original one was probably cracked or something, and the previous owner decided to put the gold bird into a fresh center piece from a vanilla Firebird that used that style of center section.
Well, I have yet to see another center section, on ANY 3rd gen bird, with the PONTIAC lettering. As for the gold bird, only the GTAs had the embedded bird, where as all others, were the "painted" bird on the inside of the plastic.

I'm not looking for "probably", I've had lots of those. But, nobody can say FOR CERTAIN where it came from.

I figured there should be at least one person who says "Yeah, my car has the same thing...heres a pic." But, nobody has.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit frustrated. I just find it that NO OTHER one seems to exist. I seriously doubt it was custom. I know 2 of the previous owners, and they don't know.

3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 03-29-2007   #13
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by janlarsson
Got one sitting in my garage and it came from a 87 TA ..... the reflective strip got PONTIAC molded in to it (embossed) .... TTAs got a stick on strip in black with TURBO on it.
Wow, I never got a reply notice on this one. Got a pic of it? Yeah, my buddy with a TTA swapped out his center section, just because he doesn't want to risk his TURBO one, Can't blame him really.

The possibility of a TA reflective strip put on my GTA canter section seems to be the most likely one yet.

3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 03-29-2007   #14
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom

My 83 had the letters like that, but it also had a different tail light setup.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #15
eidolon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Well, I have yet to see another center section, on ANY 3rd gen bird, with the PONTIAC lettering. As for the gold bird, only the GTAs had the embedded bird, where as all others, were the "painted" bird on the inside of the plastic.

I'm not looking for "probably", I've had lots of those. But, nobody can say FOR CERTAIN where it came from.

I figured there should be at least one person who says "Yeah, my car has the same thing...heres a pic." But, nobody has.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit frustrated. I just find it that NO OTHER one seems to exist. I seriously doubt it was custom. I know 2 of the previous owners, and they don't know.
I think you might be right about the standard birds being painted on, now that I think about it.

I had an '82 Recaro TA with the gold center bird as well though. That's a pretty rare car in and of itself though. Older style tail light housing though. Regrettably, it was scrapped since the body was rusted out, I've still got the rather unique seats and badging though. And the Crossfire 305 waiting for a good project to throw it in
Old 03-31-2007   #16
avg_joe
Average User

Yeah, my car has the same thing. You'll have to wait till tomorrow for a pic, tho. It's almost 10pm, and raining outside.
It's a 1987 GTA. I don't know if any, or all of the tail light has been replaced, but it looked factory to me.(In the dark, in the rain...)
avg_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #17
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg_joe
Yeah, my car has the same thing. You'll have to wait till tomorrow for a pic, tho. It's almost 10pm, and raining outside.
It's a 1987 GTA. I don't know if any, or all of the tail light has been replaced, but it looked factory to me.(In the dark, in the rain...)
So, yours has te PONTIAC lettering on the center section, and the bumper cver? Since yours is a 87 too, perhaps 87 only was a double PONTIAC lettering year?

3rd gen parts 4 sale
Old 04-01-2007   #18
eidolon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
So, yours has te PONTIAC lettering on the center section, and the bumper cver? Since yours is a 87 too, perhaps 87 only was a double PONTIAC lettering year?
My '87 hasn't got any lettering, just dug up a pic that shows the tail lights:

Old 04-01-2007   #19
eidolon

There's also another gold bird center piece that says it was taken off an '87 on eBay that lacks the lettering. And another '1987' set (I think it's actually off a '91-92), with grey bird and Pontiac lettering printed on the black part. It's got the orange turn signal lights too. And lastly, an older style set off an '83, with grey bird, Pontiac lettering on the reflective strip like yours.

Maybe the strips are interchangeable? I forget if they're glued in place or not, perhaps there were extras that the factory had and used up before switching to the non-lettered ones sometime during the 3rd gens run?
Old 04-01-2007   #20
Stephen

Perhaps a reflective strip swap, or use of NOS, like you said.

Like a tootsie pop...the world may never know!

3rd gen parts 4 sale