Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 03-20-2007   #1
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Wink Vader...the Weekend Warrior

Well...I've been griping about it for a while now. I wish I had a beater to drive everyday instead of driving my beloved GTA around town and taking the chance of some idiot hitting me. Today that ends. Yeterday, Vader officially became a "Weekend Warrior" and Fair Weather Bird. Now I just need to get some place covered to store the car out of the elements.

In light of recent events the daily driver option has been pushed to the front burner. The need for two vehicles is a must when the kids are in school. Plus it's racking up extra miles on the family mobile with it being the sole source of transportation. Last night I got on to AutoTrader.com to see what was in the area. I found a few F-Bodies, but I really wanted to stay away from a second toy for right now and focus on something that was going to serve a purpose.

Ever since we traded our Trailblazer in for the Bonneville we've had this huge void when it comes to moving and hauling things. We'd have to either borrow a truck or wait until my Dad came up from FL in order to buy large things. Yeah...not so good. So, I started searching for S10 style Blazers and Trucks. The only problem was trying to find one that was in my price range and was in good enough condition to be reliable. I thought I found a good deal in Raliegh, but after doing some research (CarFAX is awesome!), I found that it wasn't as good a deal as I thought it was. Then Niki said she found one locally at Reed-Lallier.

I called and talked to them about a 1996 S10 Blazer they had, but didn't have a listed price for. It turns out the vehicle was thrashed and wouldn't be sold through the dealership. They did however have a little 2000 S10 extended cab they had just got in on a trade with a hair over 57K on the ticker. It is a 2.2L I4 A4 truck with some very minor cosmetics that need attention later on, but the body is straight...no body damage...runs and shifts good. All in all a good little truck with lots of life still in it.

The entire time the used car manager was on the phone with me I was looking the truck up on NADA and running the VIN through CarFAX to get information about it. The Blue Book on the vehilce in moderate condition is $7800 while in excellent retail condition it's around $9800 with the low miles. That's not what I paid for it. I stole that vehicle. The best part about it is that I'm getting a new set of tires, they're fixing the driver's side power window, inspecting it, and detailing it for considerably less that the moderate value of the truck. Let's just say that I haven't even made my first payement on it and I have equity in the truck already. WOOHOO!

The only real draw back is that I now have a second car payment which I really wanted to avoid, but I figured that this deal was too good to pass up. I should have a pretty reliable truck to toottle around town in and get great gas mileage too since it's a four-banger. The only thing that is going to suck is that it isn't all that powerful. Oh well...I'm not complaining.

So...with the addition of the new used truck I pick up today, Vader now moves to Weekend Warrior duty. Not to worry though, once the car is running again it'll still be making appearances at any event for the club regardless of the day of the week. I'm so excited.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #2
Louvers

Re: Vader...the Weekend Warrior

Welcome to the club Patrick!

It's actually a lot of fun looking forward to driving your car on the weekend or on nice weather days. For me anyway, it makes me appreciate my cars even more and I tend to be a lot less critical of the little things that would otherwise drive me crazy if I had to drive them on a daily basis. Our cars are bad about draining the batteries however so if it sits for any length of time, it will be time to purchase a trickle charger. Also, make sure that you keep that gas tank full so that you don't collect any condensation in the tank which is a problem when our cars sit. As for covering the car, a quality cover should suffice until you can work out a permanent solution.

Good luck with the new purchase ... it's sounds like you did well!

Darrell

My Garage
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #3
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Same here, Patrick. Sonce my car is now a weekend warrior only it makes it a real pleasure to drive.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

FearthisGTA is right, not driving your GTA for periods of some time will inhance the experience when you do deside to drive it.

Today I drove my GTA to work finally. I used to drive here starting 11 years ago. I worked in this building for almost one year then and so the last time I drove here was about 10 years ago. It was very exciting for me and meant so much to me. To give you an idea how long this has been, I was driving my GTA regularily here when those wacko people in Southern California all killed themselves so they could get a ride out of the galaxy on that comit Hale-Bopp.

Anyways, when I drove my GTA here this morning, I got so many double takes by so many people, I could not believe it. Even people who never talk to me approached me in the elevator and asked me about the car. They all end the conversation in the same words "why do you not drive this car every day to work, I would if it was mine." Yumiko
Old 03-22-2007   #5
gtayumiko
GTA Member

As I posted earlier, I also took out my GTA today for the first time in some number of months. I had so many compliments from many people at work today, it is amazing how much my co-workers pay attention to what types of cars people are driving to work. I never had any idea about this.

I took a drive at lunch to get a Jamba Juice and arriving back to my parking lot of the building, before I could leave my GTA a few of my co-workers came over and wanted to see more of it. So I showed them all around my GTA and we discussed some information such as the restoration, how long I had it, yada yada yada.......But it was all very exciting to me to talk about my GTA to them. Out of all of the compliments that I got today, the one that I really liked the most was that they said that the GTA fits me better then my BMW does. I simply replied that it must be because I have had this GTA for many years now, adding that it was brand new and my first car in my life. It took me a while, perhaps an hour to really think about that compliment and the more I thought about it, the more I really liked it. And as we were all leaving work together, someone asked me if I was going to drive it again tomorrow. I told them I did not need to.....because I had so much enjoyment, excitement and happiness driving it today, that it is enought to last me a few months. I will drive it again to work perhaps in June or July. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 03-22-2007 at 09:30 PM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #6
Red91GTA
Jay

Thats awesome you got a good deal on that s10; they are a good sturdy truck. I personally owned 2 s10's one was a 99 S10/v6/auto/4x4 as the first vehicle i ever bought it lasted through alot i took it off roading all the time and never had a single problem with it. I also owned a 2003 GMC Sonoma but this one had the ZR2 package which is the all out 4x4 package with the 2" lift/ big tires/ 5 speed/ wider stance it was also a very strong extremly fun truck but passing people on the highway sucked becouse the truck was so heavy.

Like alot of people were saying, driving your car on the weekend makes it something to look forward to. Last summer every day after work i had my GTA I was out driving it just cruising the streets/highways for fun it really made the work week just fly by; also when the weekend rolled around i was off to the visit friends from around the province by putting on some highway miles and getting some nice thumbs up from the people passing by.

Last edited by Red91GTA; 03-23-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Red91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom

I like my little S10 so far. It's pretty comfortable and fairly roomy. The only thing I don't like about it is that it barely has the power to get out of its own way since it is a four-banger. I guess that just means that I'll get better gas mileage. As soon as I can get some time from working on Vader, I'll post some pictures of the beast.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote