Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 05-28-2006   #1
TripleTransAm
V8s and Flaming Birds for everyone!

Happy Birthday to my GTA

So how many of you GTA nuts actually celebrate on the car's birthday?

Thursday May 28th 1987 a black Trans Am GTA rolled off the assembly line and eventually found its way into the showroom of Omer Barre Pontiac/Buick in Lasalle, Quebec (one of the many municipalities/suburbs located on the island of Montreal, besides the City of Montreal itself). Obviously built for cruising (305 TPI/auto/3.23), the car assumed its role as the centerpiece of the showroom dealer stock for several weeks until a self-confessed middle-aged American sports car nut walked in looking for a replacement for his late 70s Vette, sometime in June or July. The moment he spotted it, he fell for it and the deal was done.

Thursday May 28th 1987, just off the island of Montreal on the south shore of the main river, a re-emerging Trans Am nut was receiving his High School diploma that evening at a graduation ceremony and thinking of what the future held for him as he set his sights on the difficult 2 years ahead of him in the pre-Engineering Science faculty in College (a mandatory stage up here before embarking on the 4 year Engineering curriculum in University). Re-emerging Trans Am nut, because he'd been into Trans Ams as a young kid and then briefly forgot about them once the more sedate 3rd gens showed up... Knight Rider helped re-ignite the flame, and a chance 1985 viewing of Smokey and the Bandit turned his world upside down, lusting uncontrollably over a 1977-1978 Special Edition T/A, making Black and Gold a paint scheme of erotic status. The next night (May 29th, 1987), he celebrated his Prom night with his closest friends and his best girl, as somewhere many miles away, a brand new black 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA made its way by truck and/or by rail northward from Norwood Ohio. Neither of them knew the impact they'd eventually have on each other's lives, years later.

Over the course of that summer of 1987, one middle-aged gentleman was fortunate to get acquainted with his brand new Tuned Port Injected wonder while elsewhere a young lad would come home from his summer job and devote at least an hour of combing through his increasing collection of High Performance Pontiac magazines, drooling over the newly introduced GTA model. Who cares if it wasn't the quickest? Who cares if it was too heavy to rule the streets in stock form? It had CLASS oozing out of every body seam in proportions that no bucket of any size could contain. Just as the car was likely to lose a stoplight run against a Mustang of the same vintage, the GTA owner could always get the last laugh miles down the road when passing the Mustang as it rested back-end-first in the ditch when the roads got twisty and/or bumpy. And one look at that gorgeous interior... true luxury.

Fast forward six years later: the young lad had graduated from University with a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and had landed his dream job. Practically penniless but recovering from putting himself through school on his own (without loans), he set out to find himself a nice little economic but sporty car for his daily commutes. Elsewhere, a forty-something sports car nut was struggling with a decision: jobless and looking to reorient his career by returning to school, he reluctantly put his low mileage 1987 GTA on the market. It seemed like the logical thing to do: the car had not even seen 4000 miles of road in the past three years (1990-1993) and the current 18000 miles on the odometer might help him fetch a few extra dollars on the sale, even considering the many little things that would have to be done to compensate for the deterioration of not having run much in six years, much less in the past 3 years.

September 26 1993, the two paths finally crossed. A test drive, several hours of mulling it over, and the encouragement (both moral and financial) of both parents and grandparents, pushed the young lad to make the decision that would impact him in ways he never thought possible... never even remotely imagined. Money was exchanged, and the lad never looked back!

And almost 13 years later, that lad (not so much a lad anymore, both in age and waistline!) just took a bunch of photos of a black 1987 Trans Am GTA with a birthday hat sitting on the intake plenum.

(I haven't uploaded the photos yet, so yes this thread is worthless... )
'78 T/A
2006 Dodge Daytona R/T
TripleTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Happy Birthday to my GTA

sniff, sniff, it had just a happy ending to it. I gotta tear in my eye,lol. Col story. Thats kinda the way I felt when I saw the first 91 Firehawk, I new I couldnt afford that price tag and to me the next best thing was the GTA!!

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #3
Louvers

Applause!!!

What a story man.... who's the "sick bastard"? ... LOL ... I have a hard enough time remembering everyone else's birthdays... if I remembered my cars... my wife would probably kick me out! I have to say that was a very entertaining story though... I would love to see your photos.... the birthday hat on the intake is 2 funny. Take it easy.

Darrell

My Garage
Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #4
ZZ4GTAMan

LOL, you are crazy man! I am with Darrell, I am lucky I remember my own birtrhday. The wife would love seeing me eating cake out in the garage with the car. LOL

Mike

Check Out My Pics
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31781797&f=
ZZ4GTAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #5
TripleTransAm
V8s and Flaming Birds for everyone!

LOL! My wife is cool... we spent the first day of our honeymoon at a dragstrip (Cayuga, now called Toronto Motorsports Park). She spent a lot of the afternoon sitting in the car reading or napping, bless her, while I yapped with the car guys I was meeting up with... until I kicked her out of the car so I could rip off one 13.6 second run in my WS6 with the car stuffed full of our luggage (and just after an 8-hour long drive, too... lemme say it again: LS1s ROCK!).

Anyway, I gave the car a late birthday present of an oil and filter change, didn't have time to give it the first wash of the year (kids, work, etc... who has time for cars nowadays?) but I did get to take it for a 20 minute set of laps around my neighbourhood tonight.

Funny GTA story:
I live in a development consisting of dead ends sprouting off a main road that is a complete 5 miles-around loop. Tonight, I was just gently cruising around the main road working out the flat spots on my too-old GS-Cs (fresh set in my basement waiting for time to get them swapped). At one stop sign, a late 80s Porsche 928 drove past in the opposite direction also at a 'cruise' speed and we just had time to give each other appreciative nods. I decided to keep doing some laps so several minutes later, I cross the same 928 apparently also doing some cruising laps of the main road! By the third time we crossed each other, we couldn't keep from laughing: 2 middle-aged guys cruising gently and doing laps around a suburban loop road in late 80s sports coupes that are obviously garage kept, on an early Sunday evening! LOL! Makes me look forward to my upcoming 6-week vacation so I can finally spend some quality time with my '78 and my GTA! (my WS6 does just fine as our daily commuter car)

In keeping with the subject of the thread, my WS6 also celebrated a milestone last week (June 4th). At around 10 am on June 4th 1998, I got a call from the F-body plant up here stating my car was entering the paint shop (an early phase on the assembly line) which was cool because I was scheduled for a plant tour just a few hours later. Upcoming milestones: June 23rd I got to start my (future) car for the first time and rev it a few times as it sat among a field of black Trans Ams awaiting WS6-ification at the ASC shop, and July 7th when I got to drive my (future) car into the shop and videotape the whole process (which was a nice present for me on my birthday!).

Related question: does anyone know when exactly was the last day of production at Norwood Ohio? I am wondering how close my GTA was to the last day of production at the plant in 1987.
'78 T/A
2006 Dodge Daytona R/T
TripleTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote