Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-24-2006   #1
captainkidd

Please help! I need some pro opinions!

I just purchased a GTA as all original. The car is in great shape and only has about 41,770 miles on it. (see thread) I just recieved a folder in the mail with the original owners manual and all sorts of information in it.
To my dismay I also found a brochure and warranty card from a company called cars and concepts. Turns out the car was ordered without t-tops! The same month that the original owner recieved his ordered car and with only 97 miles on it, he had t-tops added! Why would anyone do this?
Now obviously I am very disappointed that my new purchase turns out to be not original.
My question is how much will this affect the collectable value of this particular car?
do I go back to the guy that I bought it from and ask him to buy it back since he guaranteed me it was all original?
PLEASE HELP!!!

Captainkidd

Last edited by captainkidd; 03-24-2006 at 09:58 AM.
captainkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
Klortho

Re: Please help! I need some pro opinions!

C&C tops were a licensed manufacturer of t-tops for the 2nd and 3rd gen F-bodies and they were only sold to reputable installers. It may bring it down a bit, but not much, even for that these cars will never be true 'collectables' for about another 20 years or so. Drive it, enjoy it and I wouldn't worry about it. I have had 2 cars with the C&C tops, the current one being my '87 GTA. I plan on keeping the car for a very very long time, so I'm not worried about it.

Alot of people would do it because it was around 1,500 bucks for that vs 6k for ASC to make a convertible out of these cars. Now ask yourself this, why would anyone want to take a good car and have a convertible made out of it.
Old 03-24-2006   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

You've come to the wrong place for PRO opinions....

If your new-to-you GTA has a 350 engine, then that is most likely the answer to your question. 1989 and 1990 are the only model years not to have some kind of restriction listed on the order sheet when ordering T-tops on a 350 car. There were years that T-tops could be ordered with the T-tops, but I don't have the Pontiac CDBs to verify dates and availability for various years.

These C & C T-tops are fairly common on 350 cars, and I haven't really read any complaints about them. I think they differ in size a bit from the GM T-tops. I would guess that the owner just really wanted T-tops, and I suppose the only outlet available after the car was built was to go through an aftermarket installer like C & C.

I certainly would not pass up a nice GTA because of it....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #4
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey man, if you don't want your GTA anymore, Sell it to me... haha

Dude, don't sweat the T-Tops. Since C&C was a lisenced modifier like ASC, it shouldn't do anything to the value.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5
captainkidd

I solved the mystery. While further investigating my folder of goodies I found the original order form. The car was ordered 10/06/87 at which time the 5.7 engine was not available coupled with t-tops. I guess all 1987 and early 1988 GTAs with t-tops were done after the fact. At least I have all the documentation of when and where the tops were done along with the original warranty card. I feel better now.

Captainkidd
Old 03-30-2006   #6
irritated_cube
J Kafal

Seeing as you paid $6500 for the car, I wouldn't be complaining. A 41,000 mile 1988 GTA is worth much more than that. I personally paid $8000 for my 89 with slightly lower mileage.

It just goes to show that there is no substitute for reading and research when buying a car. I saw that car on E-Bay a few months ago and immediatly noticed that it didn't leave Van Nuys with T-Tops.

A 41k mile GTA for $6500?

Thats a great deal, remember not everyone here owns a car of that caliber.

Last edited by irritated_cube; 03-30-2006 at 10:54 PM.
irritated_cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #7
captainkidd

Thanks for the reply. After spending some time detailing and polishing the car, I am very happy with the purchase! The car really looks almost new. Even the original paint is in very good shape. The leather is excellent and everything works like it is supposed to. Even has new tires. In light of these things I am not so disappointed about the aftermarket t-tops. I guess that was the only way to get that package in December of 87. Now if I can track down the source of the coolant leak, however small it may be, I can detail the engine compartment and call it good.

Captainkidd
Old 01-25-2018   #8
Podz

Hello captainkidd, I'm new to this forum and found your post while searching. I have was wondering if you could take a picture with your phone of all your documentation pertaining to the C&C t top. I would appreciate your help.
My name is John Podziemski and my email and text number below.
podziemj@matc.edu
1-414-239-5253
Podz is offline   Reply With Quote