Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-22-2006   #1
torqueaddict

rear offset rim on front- any damage?

I have a GTA and a garage put the rear rims on the front, and the front on the rear and the vehicle was driven a little. The rear rims (real rear rims) now have a groove around the inner circumference of the rim- I guess it's about 1/8" deep. The shop offered to have them sent out to be repaired.

Does anyone know what things I should check when this occurs, and if the rim will really be ok once repaired? I think it would be hard to find those rims new, right?

thanks in advance!
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #2
Klortho

Re: rear offset rim on front- any damage?

The rear rims have a different offset which set the wheels in deeper in the wheelwell than the front wheels. This causes the wheels to rub the calipers.
Old 03-22-2006   #3
vejatabul
http://www.ricekiller.com

run a 5/16 spacer and all will be ok.
Old 03-22-2006   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

The rims did not rub on the caliper. They rubbed on the tie rod end which connects steering knuckle. Check tie rods. It may got damage from heat/friction from rubbing. Yumiko
Old 03-22-2006   #5
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Long long time ago (seems like 100 year ago-bad to say because I am not that old yet) Long time ago, I did not know much about my GTA. I put front rim on back and back on front and I did not have any problems doing that because it fit. Only thing was that wheel weights would get knock off by tie rods. So I just would have GoodYear use the stick on ones and they would not hit tie rods anymore because those kind are stuck on inside of rim, not on outter edge like hammer on ones.

When I could no longer put rear rims on front was after I had new tie rods put on my GTA in 1997. The new ones were bigger then factory ones and this cause the rear rim to rub really badly on the tie rods. That was when I learned that the rims are different from each other. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I never could tell difference by looking at the rims, at one time. Now I know. Yumiko
Old 03-22-2006   #6
torqueaddict

Well, the rims are back where they belong.
My main concern was any problems thay may have occured from the 1 minute of driving like that. (front end) and if the rims would be ok once repaired (due to the groove worn in them)

thanks for the inputs.
Old 03-22-2006   #7
ZZ4GTAMan

Hey man, if you get the wheels repaired by a reputable wheel repair shop, they will be good as new. Try this site. They are great www.fixrim.com Your rims now are probably fine, but grooved. What you could do is get two more front offset wheels, and put them on the back. Not only will this give the car a slightly better/wider stance in the back, but rotation will be a breeze, and you can do it yourself. I just did this on mine, and it is great! I will be sending my rims to them in a few months to have them redone. They come out like brand new.
Later Bro
Mike

Check Out My Pics
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31781797&f=

Last edited by ZZ4GTAMan; 03-22-2006 at 09:13 PM.
ZZ4GTAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #8
torqueaddict

So that's probably why the dealer only discontinued the rears! Because you only need fronts! Anyway, thanks for the info. Since this shop is paying for the rim repair and they said they stand behind their work, I'm going with it. By the way, I was told that the fronts cost over 500 a piece new!
Old 03-23-2006   #9
ZZ4GTAMan

Hey man, our rims are expensive. good luck finding any "new" for sale. They will cost a mint. For $129 per rim, that site I told you will re-do like brand new each rim. They fix gouges,dents, they re-clearcoat, re-do the gold. And they pay for the shipping when they send them back. They also get the rims back to you quick.
Take care Bro
Mike

Check Out My Pics
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31781797&f=
ZZ4GTAMan is offline   Reply With Quote