Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-23-2006   #1
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

'89 GTA - ?? color are the screens in the hood vents ?

Guys,

My '89 GTA is in the paint booth... right now!!

They have the hood vents out, and are asking what the proper color is for the mesh inside the vents. It looks like either a white or silver is what they 'are'... don't know which, or if either of these is correct.

Can someone tell me the correct color ?

Thanks!!

Gerry-
Norfolk, VA

http://www.gmassie.net/l98gta
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
BPK88GTA

Re: '89 GTA - ?? color are the screens in the hood vents ?

They should be a dark gray/flat black in color, not glossy like your new paint job will be.
BPK88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

They actually had an anodized finish from the factory, but I don't know how you'd recreate that. Most people just go with a satin black when repainting them. That would not be considered incorrect.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #4
gtayumiko
GTA Member

The ones on my car were same finish as like the aluminum rims. They did not have any paint at all on them and they looked same color as aluminum, just like the color of the rims, not the gold part. At least this is the way mine came new, not painted. One thing we did to my GTA was when these hood vents are remove, we painted the surface under the vents with a flat black. This is so it looks bottomless. We had painted the hood in 1997 and we did not do this then. When the vents were install back on the hood, you could see through the (mesh?) that the holes had a bottom. So this time when we put car back together after major engine drive train overhaul, we paint it flat black inside of all hood vents (four of them all together) and it make it look much more better, cannot see the bottom under the vents. Makes it look like thoes holes go somewhere. Yumiko
Old 01-24-2006   #5
Gerry
Retired Network Janitor

Well these vents must be their original color, I have no reason to think otherwise. They are definitely a aluminized looking color, almost a white-looking aluminum.

They could be sprayed back to that in a fresh aluminum color, these are a textured look.

I understand the flat or satin black look though. I'm now torn between 'original' and the satin or flat black.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate it. Knowing me... I'll probably end up going with the black....

Gerry-
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #6
nblanchard
GTA Member

I never noticed this detail.. anyone have a picture to show the vents original colour?

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote