Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-16-2005   #1
whoneedsahonda
converted

cheap and easy speed

hey guys, i know you are all better at getting cheap and easy speed then i am. i just bought my trans am gta last weekend and its already got some modifications to it. they include the 305 being completely rebuilt .030 over (and currently has 12k miles on it), edelbrock headers and a flowmaster exhaust system. i am not sure about the five speed, but i assume it hasnt been touched- i'll get back to you on that.

my question is what else can i do to it to get it to go a little faster, or how could i put it on a diet? its got the stock sound system and thats the way its staying- the big boxes arnt worth their weight. speed is the key here.

i also plan on taking out the hatch and installing a notchback kit from hawks third gen parts and i was wondering if this would help with the diet. i also plan on running the notchback without the spoiler to help save weight.
( http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/inc/sdetail/1201 )

any help would be greatly apprectiated.

1987 Trans Am GTA 5.0 five speed t-tops,
headers and flowmasters to name some of the mods- soon to be notchback converted.

1970 Dodge Charger 383 auto 16,500 original miles dealer factory replacement block,
second owner -rare factory painted roof

( http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092843/1 )

not bad for being a 16 year old

Last edited by whoneedsahonda; 10-16-2005 at 01:35 AM.
whoneedsahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: cheap and easy speed

Well, there are quite a few you can do. Is it a throttle body or TPI? But there are a few mods you can do either way. One is a KNN air filter, then there is synthetic oil, oh and the cooler tstat and fan switch. If its TPI you can do the thottle body by-pass. Then as far as timming you can raise your initial timming up. You can bump it to 12 to 15 deg. Mine is at 13 and I am gonna raise it to 15. Once you do that youneed to raiser your fuel press., so you will need to get on of those and you can raise yours to 46-50, thats where mine is at now, 46 psi, that is. Oh and then there ar ehte headers and high flow y-pipe. Once you get done there, then you start gettin into the $$$ stuff like SFC's, rear gears, posi, and stuff like that. But those should get ya goin for now. Good luck, I hope this stuff helps.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #3
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Yeah, all those suggestions above help a lot. But remember. Ultimately, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

I'd get the subframe connectors first so the car stops flexing already.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #4
FearThisGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA
Yeah, all those suggestions above help a lot. But remember. Ultimately, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
No truer words spoken. Couldnt have said it better myself.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 10-16-2005   #5
Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta
Well, there are quite a few you can do. Is it a throttle body or TPI? But there are a few mods you can do either way. One is a KNN air filter, then there is synthetic oil, oh and the cooler tstat and fan switch. If its TPI you can do the thottle body by-pass. Then as far as timming you can raise your initial timming up. You can bump it to 12 to 15 deg. Mine is at 13 and I am gonna raise it to 15. Once you do that youneed to raiser your fuel press., so you will need to get on of those and you can raise yours to 46-50, thats where mine is at now, 46 psi, that is. Oh and then there ar ehte headers and high flow y-pipe. Once you get done there, then you start gettin into the $$$ stuff like SFC's, rear gears, posi, and stuff like that. But those should get ya goin for now. Good luck, I hope this stuff helps.

Just wondering? Will these cars run ok with that kind of timing thrown at it. Mine is stock setting right now, but would like to bump it a bit if it will run ok. I have tb by-pass, afpr, coolstat & switch, coldair intake with K&N, shift kit, and just recently 373's
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #6
whoneedsahonda
converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthisgta

it is a tpi, i forgot to mention that. it also has posi already, not to mention the k&n air filter.

how would i upgrade and the cooler tstat and fan switch? also i was thinking about putting new gears in the rear- but i dont want to sacrifce highway cruising. i've hard 373s were the best mix for out of the hole and highway.

the car already has headers and a highflow y-pipe.- i got lucky with this one.

headers and flowmasters to name some of the mods- soon to be notchback converted.

1970 Dodge Charger 383 auto 16,500 original miles dealer factory replacement block,

Last edited by whoneedsahonda; 10-16-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2005   #7
whoneedsahonda
converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA

I'd get the subframe connectors first so the car stops flexing already.
well idealy i'd like to put about 2-3k into the car and i'm just looking for the most bang for the buck basically.
do you have any sudjestions on the subframe connectors?

Old 10-16-2005   #8
FearThisGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
Just wondering? Will these cars run ok with that kind of timing thrown at it. Mine is stock setting right now, but would like to bump it a bit if it will run ok. I have tb by-pass, afpr, coolstat & switch, coldair intake with K&N, shift kit, and just recently 373's
Mine does. Of course if you have one you need the other and in this case, it would be more fuel and it wouldnt hurt to get the SLP c/a kit either for more air.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 10-16-2005   #9
FearThisGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoneedsahonda
it is a tpi, i forgot to mention that. it also has posi already, not to mention the k&n air filter.

how would i upgrade and the cooler tstat and fan switch? also i was thinking about putting new gears in the rear- but i dont want to sacrifce highway cruising. i've hard 373s were the best mix for out of the hole and highway.

the car already has headers and a highflow y-pipe.- i got lucky with this one.
Thats simple, just get a 160 or 180 which ever you decide on and depending on what kinda emissions standards you have there as well. As far as replacement get you a Haynes manual and it will be the single best investment you will make. As for me I run a 160 tstat and switch.
As for the 3.73's yes I have had them before and I miss'em so I will probably be goin back to'em soon.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 10-16-2005   #10
FearThisGTA

Quote:
well idealy i'd like to put about 2-3k into the car and i'm just looking for the most bang for the buck basically.

I put on the Comp Eng. sfc's and to be honest I would have rather paid someone to put on the weld in's. Mine are bolt on's and it took me 12 hours, ( I think, you need to look back at a previous topic about this very subject), anyway, get the Spohn weld in's and either do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. But its still the best mod you can do hands down.

Oh and if you are wanting to spend that kinda $$ to it. Then also look at a stall conv. and maybe a shift improver kit. Unless, your tranny has some fair amount of mileage on it. If so I would think about replacin it,IMHO,(I call it prventive maintance), but sooner or later if drive it enough its gonna go south on you anyway. But there again its just my .02

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 10-16-2005   #11
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

his is a 5spd a stall converter won't do anything for him
LrdNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #12
TripleTransAm
V8s and Flaming Birds for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdNexus
his is a 5spd a stall converter won't do anything for him
What do you mean? Dump it in the trunk for better weight distribution, improving the launch!
'78 T/A
2006 Dodge Daytona R/T
TripleTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #13
Klortho

Quote:
Put an LT1 and 6-speed in it, best bang for the buck and can be done for about 2-3k if you do it all yourself
Klortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #14
whoneedsahonda
converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klortho
Put an LT1 and 6-speed in it, best bang for the buck and can be done for about 2-3k if you do it all yourself
nah. the tpi 305 has 12,000 miles on it freshly rebuit. too good of an engine to get rid of. not to mention the more money i save the better, more for the charger

Old 10-16-2005   #15
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey, you have a rebuilt 305? Go for the heads and headers then. Keep the original cam as it should work well for a Supercharger anyway. World SR Torquer heads are made for 305s and provide a pretty good increase in power. Also complement it with a higher flowing intake manifold and some runners, and you'll be set with a car with very good power until you have your Supercharger ready. Or if you're feeling particularly adventurous, the Vortec heads can be made to work with the 305, but then you'd need the specific manifold that adapts your TPI to the heads.

Besides, I think you're going to have to pay for a tranny replacement before you get the Supercharger. T-5s don't like power too much.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again

Last edited by Fred91GTA; 10-16-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #16
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

I think he ment his 1970 charger...not supercharger for the GTA
LrdNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #17
whoneedsahonda
converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdNexus
I think he ment his 1970 charger...not supercharger for the GTA
heh, yeah. honest mistake. intresting choice of heads though. i'll look into it.

Old 10-17-2005   #18
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

i wouldn't run anything more then 8-10 degrees with a pretty much stock engine.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote