Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-29-2005   #1
FieroGTA

HAWKS aftermarket fiberglass aero spoiler wing review

Just received my 85-90 GTA fiberglass aero spoiler from Hawks.

The GOOD:

- very nice product, fit and finish is very good

- customer service on the phone was good

- nice large bright warning labels on the box

The BAD:

- very poor packing, this spoiler is in a box with 2 very small pieces of bubble wrap wraped around the large section of the wing. There is basicly ZERO protection. I have sold many things on eBay for $10.00 that was packed 100 times more secure. For this spoiler to be as fragile and expensive as it is, I was VERY dissappointed in the packing. Basicly they toss it in a box by itself and hope for the best. IMHO there is no excuse for that.

- it arrived with a small fracture crack, I am certian it was due to poor packing.

- directions are very poor, they are general at best, and not specific about the hardware. It's up to you to figure everything out on your own. If you are using this spoiler to replace your factory spoiler the hardware is basicly useless. You have to customize and be creative for the 6 mounting points along the glass. For somebody like me with 22 years automotive experence it's slightly challenging to install it professionally, but for somebody with very little experence, it could be extemely difficult for you to do by yourself.

- price... I have bought many aftermarket fiberglass products over the years for my GM cars from independent fiberglass makers just like this spoiler, and IMHO this product is a $250 spoiler, not a $350 spoiler.
FieroGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: HAWKS aftermarket fiberglass aero spoiler wing review

Fiero, thanks for the interesting post. Hopefully that info will help people in their decision to buy a spoiler. Do you think the problems relate to Hawks or more to the manufacturer.... as I imagine Hawks is only the distributor.

My experience was a LOT different when I got mine a few years back from a different source. Great packaging, no damage, good directions, hardware all used as advertised.... but I did not use the 6 mounting points along the glass. My spoiler came with two stainless clips that attached between the glass metal framework and the underside of the spoiler. You cannot see them with the spoiler installed, but the unit is attached very firmly along the sides. So far, so good....

Thanks again for your post, and good luck with your installation.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #3
FieroGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
but I did not use the 6 mounting points along the glass. My spoiler came with two stainless clips that attached between the glass metal framework and the underside of the spoiler.
Yep... same hardware.

(same everything, all aero spoilers the same reguardless of vendor, all the same maker)

Those 2 clips are so you can use this spoiler on a Firebird that didn't have an aero spoiler to begin with. (no factory tabs on glass frame)

Or... you CAN use the 2 clips like you did. (and not use the 6 factory attach points)

But that is not secure enough for me. I want it mounted like it was from the factory.
Old 09-30-2005   #4
FieroGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2
but I did not use the 6 mounting points along the glass. My spoiler came with two stainless clips that attached between the glass metal framework and the underside of the spoiler.
Yep... same hardware. (same everything, all aero spoilers the same reguardless of vendor, all the same maker)

Those 2 clips are so you can use this spoiler on a Firebird that didn't have an aero spoiler to begin with. (no factory tabs on glass frame) And... you can use the 2 clips like you did on Firebird that was equipped with a factory aero spoiler. (and not use the 6 factory attach points)

But that is not secure enough for me. I want it mounted like it was from the factory.

What needs to be done is.....

- two #8 x 3/4" phillips head self tapping screws (forward section)
- two #8 x 1" phillips head self tapping screws (middle section)
- two #8 x 1-1/4" phillips head self tapping screws (rear section)

The hard part is taking 3 seperate carefull measurements per tab (on each of the 6 tabs) for the screws to line up correctly when mounted.

The 6 screw heads fit the tabs perfectly and will act like the factory clips.

PS: if anyone has a body shop install the spoiler for you, most will not want to spend the time to do it right and will epoxy the 6 mounting points. This is bad because you will not be able to get the spoiler off if needed. Do not allow them to do this.
Old 10-02-2005   #5
FieroGTA

Quote:
Do you think the problems relate to Hawks or more to the manufacturer.... as I imagine Hawks is only the distributor.
There are at least 6 different vendors that sell this spoiler.

All these spoilers are made by the same manufacturer.