Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-20-2005   #1
nblanchard
GTA Member

Help. Second (A/C) Cooling Fan Not Working

I've looked through my chiltons and haynes manuals, and either of them show the location of the A/C Cooling Fan switch (the secondary cooling fan) I want to try and see if normal operation will keep my car running under the 3/4 Temperature mark.. if not, I want to wire it up to the main cooling fan, so both run at the same time whenever a signal is sent to the main fan. I'm sure someone has done this.. so help me out please

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #2
Kenwood

Re: Help. Second (A/C) Cooling Fan Not Working

Ive done it>>>there is NO signal switch...the way the second fan works is off of the ECU >>>when the ecu sees that the AC is ON and temp is at X degrees it sends a Ground signal to a relay that causes the fan to come on...I dont think mine EVER came on until I changed how it worked.... Initially All I did was took the relay and grounded it>>>then took the Power lead that comes from the primary fan switch and Splided that into the switched power of the second fan relay>>>ythen took that original lead off that relay and got rid of it....

Later down the road I realized that was tooo much fans for normal driiving...So I took the same lead and ran it to a dash controlled rocker switch... then just turned it on when I needed it..
Kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #3
nblanchard
GTA Member

according to the wiring diagram, the secondary fan is controlled by either the A/C switch or temp switch on the passengers side cylinder head.

Old 07-21-2005   #4
nblanchard
GTA Member

Okay.. did some quick diagnostics... I checked power at the secondary cooling fan relay. I have Constant Power, Ignition Power, and Switched Power (A/C signal I assume, since the car wasn't hot)... now my basics in electronics I got in college engineering says that relay should send power to the cooling fan now, but there is still nothing. As I was giving up, and coming in the house.. I came up with a simple test, short out the constant power to the lead going to the cooling fan... well.. that made it turn on... soooooo.. I know the fan is ok. I swapped out similar relays from the cluster on the drivers side firewall (MAF relay) and it still didn't work.. and I am pretty sure the MAF relay was good, or else my car wouldn't be runing well at all. So I am at a loss here folks... is there something I am missing?

Old 07-21-2005   #5
nblanchard
GTA Member

Figured out the problem. The sensor on the a/c system that is strictly for the fan operation, is not giving a signal. Sooooo, instead of losing all my refrigerant to replace the damn sensor, I am going to splice into the two wires, run the wires into the glovebox, and run a toggle switch. This will basically toggle a ground signal on and off, thus having complete control over the secondary fan. Why not do it for both fans you say? Well.. the primary fan is ALREADY switched on early enough anyway. When I can afford 4 cans of R12a (52bux) then I will fix it properly, and I will also have an option to turn it on manually as well. Which is awesome, cause when I go to the track, there's a lot of waiting involved sometimes, so keeping that baby cool is a definate bonus.