Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-09-2005   #1
hardway
Back in Black

GTA Notchback Restoration begins

I posted some pics and info on my Notchback and the work I am doing to it. Check it out and let me know what ya think.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/205049/16
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #2
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Skull & Crossbones Re: GTA Notchback Restoration begins

Looks good. Lot of work ahead. It will be nice watching this project progress through photos post on this site. I noticing that there was a potential fire on the passenger side, must be from the catalyst converter being aftermarket or that heat shield missing. Lucky car was not burn up. Yumiko
Old 05-12-2005   #3
hardway
Back in Black

Re: GTA Notchback Restoration begins

Yeah, the car has no cat on it, just a straight pipe welded on. I am going to wrap it with header wrap since the heat shield is not present.
1989 Turbo TA #670/1555
1989 Blk/Blk GTA 350 T-top
1998 Honda Accord Coupe

1988 IROC-Z Camaro 350 TPI (sold)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/88iroczguy
Old 05-12-2005   #4
nblanchard
GTA Member

Nice Notch!! I'd love to have one of those baby's, so rare, I love rare cars. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE IN PERSON!!

As I was admiring your notchback, I noticed your buddy (or you, not sure) did a gas tank in his camaro. I have to do mine, well, I have to remove it to repair the STUPID filler neck arrrrgggghhhh. I know the procedure of dropping the rear end... although I did not see a picture with rear end completely removed, did you guys have to completely remove it to get the gas tank out? Definately not looking forward to it, but it HAS to be done.

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #5
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I have actually only see one such type of GTA with notchback only once. I see it in early 1990s and I just thought that it was some aftermarket custom thing. At that time I did not know much about these cars and I did not know that some of them were built like that.

And about that gas tank thing. Actually, we just get done doing this to my GTA a few weekend ago. I had some gas leaking because we did not change that "O" ring that is metal holding the fuel pump assembly to the gas tank. It was original one and it was sort of bent out of shapes. We did not get new one at the time when car was being totally restored and upon getting first tank of gas after project, we notice that if we fill all the way, gas drip out from this area. Even if I just have half full but I make sharp turn, gas will drip out. I was pretty scare because exhaust muffler is right under dripping gas and I was afraid of a fire starting.

We actually got it all done in about six hour, but we had spent three of those hours repainting the entire exhaust while it off of the car. So it would only take us perhaps three hour to do it from start to finish.

Just remember to do it when all the gas is out or the tank is really heavy. Also remove gas cap so gas tank neck can be remove easily. I was amaze that it only take us a few hours. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 05-12-2005 at 04:30 PM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #6
nblanchard
GTA Member

thanks for the tip yumiko... so three hours tear down and reassemble.. wow... I've heard mechanics say longer, lying SOB's :P Well, I'm in... just have to decide on how I am going to seal the filler neck to the tank. My buddy told me a special epoxy, so I wouldn't have to purge the tank and get it soldered. Any ideas?

Old 05-13-2005   #7
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Actually they are not lying, but if you really know how to do it, it does not take so long. You have to remove those two suspension bars. Disconnect sway bar from body of car, disconnect shocks at differentials, remove passenger side back tire, lower entire axle down, disconnect exhausts at the back of catylist and remove entire thing out of where rear tire usually is. Then remove heat shields (two of them). Now you can disconnect gas tank straps at top and also disconnect all fuel line and hose and also disconnect wire harness of fuel pump.

With your gas tank empty, it will not be so heavy. Also if you have a friend help guide the neck of fuel tank at where you put the gas in. The neck has a flange and so it seems to get hang up on the plastic piece that lining the refueling compartment. Also remember to remove the gas tank cap so the filler tube will fit going out from this compartment lining.

Two guy from Goodyear change my fuel pump in 1994 when I was stranded in Oxnard, CA. With all of their tools and equipment at Goodyear, it still took them seven hours to do it. Only because they did not do it to this type of car before and it takes time learning all the stuff.

Like I said, it only take us six hours few weekend back to do this minus three hours we spend repainting stuff and cleaning underneith car when fuel tank is remove. Only three hours if we just simply change part and reassemble. Yumiko

Last edited by gtayumiko; 05-13-2005 at 09:32 AM.
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #8
nblanchard
GTA Member

wow... sounds simple actually... I may remove the rear end completely though, same witht he whole exhaust system, I need to re polish the system anyway..

Old 05-13-2005   #9
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I guess the only other stuff you have to disconnect to remove rear end all the way is the two control arms - one on each side and the brake stuff (emergency brake cables and hydraulic brake lines). An also the drive shaft and that bar that running from back of transmission all the way to the differentials. Good luck and have fun. Yumiko
Old 05-13-2005   #10
nblanchard
GTA Member

fun as always

Old 05-24-2005   #11
hardway
Back in Black

I am sorry I was not aware people were still responding to this thread. Thank you for the compliments Nblanchard on the car. The IROC on the site it also mine. Yeah the gas tank drop is a PITA but it helps if you have air tools. That was actually the 3rd time I had dropped it. I did it again last summer and had air tools. I disconnected my shocks, intermediate pipe from the car, sway bar, and removed the bracket holding the brake lines to the rear end. I did not disconnect the control arms because the rear end was low enough to the let the tank pretty much slide it out. Everyone else is right, if you can get your tank empty that is best. I jumped my pump directly to the batter and let it push the fuel in to 3 5gal. homer buckets from Home Depot. All in all with air tools and fuel pump swap it took me about 5 hours or so.

**By the way, the Notchback is going up for sell after Memorial Day. I will post a full detailed ad in the classifieds section sometime next week.
1989 Turbo TA #670/1555
1989 Blk/Blk GTA 350 T-top
1998 Honda Accord Coupe

1988 IROC-Z Camaro 350 TPI (sold)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/88iroczguy