Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-23-2004   #1
1MEANGTA
Scumbag

opinions on tires?

getting ready to buy some new tires for my 17x9s, have defender 275/40zrs but burned them off in a couple months, looking for some that will last a long time and be decent in snow and rain. its my only car for now, so i have to take it to and from work 3 or 4 days a week. its just a fun daily driver, im not planning on doing any drag racing on these tires, so i dont need mt's or anything crazy like that. price isnt much of an issue, but i dont think i really need zrs, i rarely take my car over 110 or 120, and even then only briefly. i'm leaning towards some pirelli nero m+s's, have any of you tried these? what do you think of the all weather capabilities of your own tires?
1MEANGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #2
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Talking Re: opinions on tires?

My tires handle very well on dry pavement, and they handle very well on dry pavement, wait they dont ever see wet or heaven forbid snow covered. So I dont guess Ill be much help to ya.......

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #3
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: opinions on tires?

I have BFG Comp T/A's on mine they are Z rated and I have had them for about 3 years now. Of course I dont drive it as much as I used to but I have been using these tires for several years prior to that and hen it came time for new ones I just bought more of the same. I have been in rain snow,ice and they do ok. Oh and the Z rating has to do more with what speeeds the tire is capable of handling more so than how fast you drive. When I sold tires I always recommended what ever tire the car's mfg recommended. Z rated tires will handle great at slower speeds as well. Especally in braking and stuff. Good Luck I hope this helps.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #4
GTA_JOE

Problem with tires of that size is, I don't think they are available in anything other than a Z rating. For wear you are looking for an H rated tire.
GTA_JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #5
speed88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEANGTA
getting ready to buy some new tires for my 17x9s, have defender 275/40zrs but burned them off in a couple months..................its just a fun daily driver, im not planning on doing any drag racing on these tires, so i dont need mt's or anything crazy like that. price isnt much of an issue, but i dont think i really need zrs, i rarely take my car over 110 or 120, and even then only briefly.
I think you contradicted yourself my friend. You won't be drag racing or going at high speeds but you burned them up in a couple of months. You must have done some, or one hell of a burnout! LOL!

12.24 @ 111.19 N/A
11.64 @ 116.55 NOS

Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them!
speed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #6
1MEANGTA
Scumbag

like i says, i have a little fun with it. my idea of fun is sliding damn near every corner and yes, i did some real nasty burnouts, the kind that leave piles of rubber behind the black marks and thick chunks stuck to the insides of the wheelwells and paint
i'll probably take it a little easier on these now that i've gotten that out of my system though lol.
1MEANGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #7
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

i love my nitto extreme performance 450's. they are all weather tires, have pretty good traction espically in rain, and they have a good wear rating.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #8
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Well, I'm a firm believer of GoodYear, but I really think if you want to drive hard with tires, you will not want GoodYear because of the higher pricing. I never do spin tires or corner very fast, but, I have alway use GoodYear from when car is new. I never have blowout before either. Matter of fact, one time I was driving about 80 mph and I sort of feel car wanting to turn to the right side. After about six or seven miles, I desided to turn off at gas station to see what is going on. I could not believe, my right side front tire is completely flat and side walls are smoking, but the rim not damage and at that time, I am only few miles from home, so I fill back up with air and drive rest of the way home and make it home before tire completely empty again. I would have to say, stupid on my part because dangerous, but good quality tire because I did not loose control of car - did not blow out, and I still fill tire again and make home rest of the way. Lucky for me! So I am firm believer - you get what you pay for in many cases, secret is to find out which one is this case and which one is rip off. That my opinion on tires. Yumiko
Old 01-03-2005   #9
GTA_JOE

Just bought Dayton HRs for the GTA. I got the stock 16s but they are very smooth and Im very happy with them.
GTA_JOE is offline   Reply With Quote