Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-13-2004   #1
v0yt33

trip computer failure in my gta

hello
i'm from poland...i have a t/a gta '89 350 with digital dash.
today, after doing some simple things in my digidash, my trip computer broke down (i think so)..when i turn on ignition, screen of my trip comp. flashes and show me some strange digits....for example :"99999999" flash, "3333333" flash,,,,then odo flash..miles.. km/h...and start from the beggining with this "999999"

i dont know what to do...
if you can ...please help me

sorry for my poor language
v0yt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #2
rockingta
Johnboy!!

Re: trip computer failure in my gta

what do you consider simple things on your dash???
rockingta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #3
v0yt33

hmm....i mean that i replaced this bulb behind the screen of trip computer..then i was reinstalling my dash and all of this stuff...after all, only trip computer circuit board was left. so i put it in the slot and then after power up the trip started to show this f**g numbers simultanously....echh...anyone know what is it ?

best regards
v0yt33
Old 07-21-2004   #4
rockingta
Johnboy!!

I would say you may have left somthing loose there in the back but I dont really know. I don't have a digital dash so I cant be sure. if it was mine I would just take it in and have somone look at it just so you don't fry somthing unless you already did
Old 07-21-2004   #5
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

i would take apart that faceplate and look at the circuit board. i have a digital dash and i've taken it apart before, but it has been a while ago. i would say that flimsy board isn't getting good contact to the harness it goes into (back of the main instrument cluster). You didn't use too much force, did you? That circuit board is flimsy since it has little support in the form of mounting.
Old 07-21-2004   #6
v0yt33

hmm..thank you all ...but when i was installing this circuit board i used a lot of force.of koz not too much..but i think that this board is sitting quite good in the slot..i checked this many times and always is the same..just flashing screen with this numbers..

is there some fuse or something behind digital cluster? i dont know how to say that in english...ehm..maybe it's not trip computer fault, maybe there is other way to check it? maybe the problem is deeper behind the slot?but when i deinstalled my dash, wiring on the other side of the entire plastic is still ok...shit....i don't know exactly what to do..
maybe somebody have this circuit board for sale?
Old 07-23-2004   #7
v0yt33

where i can get some electric circuit schemes for digital dash..? some pics, list of parts for it....
i can't find anything on internet..

Last edited by v0yt33; 07-23-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2004   #8
rockingta
Johnboy!!

try e-bay man theres everything there, try it every day new stuff is always coming up sorry I cant help you any more with it.
Old 07-23-2004   #9
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

hey man i have taken mine out before to change the light and then put it back in there but i pulled the whole dash out gauges. well when you put the dash back in you have to get the connection just right in the left cornere when you put it back in my suggestion is take the dash back out and look at where the trip gauge is make sure you did not hit nothing when you put the light in there then put the dash back in. it is just a bad connection i believe.
npw as far as the digital wiring diagrams i have them but they are in tn and i am in jax fl because i am in the NAVY i will be going home on the 2 of Aug for 13 days because we are going to the gulf later on that month for 6 mo possibly longer if you can wait until then i could make copies of them and mail to you. but i will have to find them but should not be had since i keep my GTA stuff all together. i also have the uq7 as well. send me your address and i can mail them to you or scan them in and email them but i would to wait until i got back to the boat on the 13th. send me your home address and email add. just in case. good luck
Tommy
Old 07-23-2004   #10
JeremyT
Notchback Collector

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

i looked at my service manual, and it says if the odometer flashes 9999.9, to replace the memory chip in the cluster. It gives no further information than that for a 9999.9 flash.
Old 07-24-2004   #11
v0yt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT
i looked at my service manual, and it says if the odometer flashes 9999.9, to replace the memory chip in the cluster. It gives no further information than that for a 9999.9 flash.
hey dude..is this memory chip located on the trip computer circuit board?
this one which is responsible for mileage and odometer?
or maybe it's somewhere outside digidash..?

btw:which service manual you use? haynes? chilton?
Old 07-24-2004   #12
v0yt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydodso
hey man i have taken mine out before to change the light and then put it back in there but i pulled the whole dash out gauges. well when you put the dash back in you have to get the connection just right in the left cornere when you put it back in my suggestion is take the dash back out and look at where the trip gauge is make sure you did not hit nothing when you put the light in there then put the dash back in. it is just a bad connection i believe.
npw as far as the digital wiring diagrams i have them but they are in tn and i am in jax fl because i am in the NAVY i will be going home on the 2 of Aug for 13 days because we are going to the gulf later on that month for 6 mo possibly longer if you can wait until then i could make copies of them and mail to you. but i will have to find them but should not be had since i keep my GTA stuff all together. i also have the uq7 as well. send me your address and i can mail them to you or scan them in and email them but i would to wait until i got back to the boat on the 13th. send me your home address and email add. just in case. good luck
Tommy
hi there...i would be very pleased if you could send me some copies..you can scan this diagrams and send me via mail in JPG..
so i'll be waiting for an email from you

here is my e-mail address : v0yt33@go2.pl

thank you very much
Old 07-27-2004   #13
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

hey well the only scanner on my ship is not hooked up due to the swapping out of new computers. so if you can send me your home address i think i will have to mail them to you.
tommy
Old 07-28-2004   #14
v0yt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydodso
hey well the only scanner on my ship is not hooked up due to the swapping out of new computers. so if you can send me your home address i think i will have to mail them to you.
tommy
hey tommy.....i sent you a private message..check it