Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 12-04-2003   #1
87GTA Runner
GTA afficionado

Anyone into car audio?

Does anyone else have an interest in car audio? I have a pretty nice system in my GTA. Two 12" subs along with two component sets, one in the kick panels and one in the sail panels. I also upgraded the dash speakers. Everything is powered by three amplifiers and cleaned up by a EQ/crossover/linedriver unit all in one. An Optima yellow top battery gives the juice and a Powermaster 140 amp chrome alternator keeps everything in line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ster.JPG (46.9 KB, 28 views)
87GTA Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003   #2
HurBadAsssGTA
**~** HER GTA **~**

Re: Anyone into car audio?

DAYUM!!!!!! I bet that sounds good as He!! ----> I've always wanted a stereo that would rattle windows, but I dont want to put all that extra in my car / I do have a great stereo, I got it from Santa last year ( i was a good kid last year . ).....I was told to pick a stereo out of Crutchfield, anyone I wanted, And? Well you know I picked the top of the line for my GTA....The most expensive one in there....And like you, I updated the dash speakers and the rear panel speakers, and replaced the broke entenna (I broke it after it froze, and dum-dum here, turned the stereo on, just couldnt wait for it to thaw out) The picture you....It looks like you did it the correct way, no Mickey Mouse Tech. in there at all....Post a few more pics of the system...It really looks great....
HurBadAsssGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003   #3
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Cool Re: Anyone into car audio?

Hello there,

Yes I have some car audio upgrades in my GTA. I have a CVA1005 Alpine AM/FM unit connect to 12 disc cd changer and Alpine DVD Navigator. I replace all speakers with Alpine as well. The original speakers that came factory in my 1987 GTA was not good any more. I install all of this myself (alarm and Lojack) install by my friends who own stereo company. I still have factory AM/FM Cassette unit in my home and no wires of car wire harnes were ever been cut so I can install it back in car some day if I want. I am considering putting factory one back in car because I have to constantly worry about someone breaking into the car sometime when I am shopping or eating in restaurant. But let me ask you, "powered by three amplifiers and cleaned up by a EQ/crossover/linedriver unit all in one. An Optima yellow top battery gives the juice and a Powermaster 140 amp chrome alternator keeps everything in line." Do you need any special thing so the battery isn't straining or alternator isn't stressing? Sometimes I feel as if my car want to die while at stop light (brake lights in use), it is raining (windshield wipers on), at night (lights on), interior fan on, and car stereo on which means CD changer on, navigation on, stereo head unit on. I do not think my battery and alternator can handle of of this stuff. Please let me know if there is something I can use to help with power. My alternator is a 105amps. Yumiko
Old 12-05-2003   #4
87GTA Runner
GTA afficionado

Thanks Taylor. I tried to do everything the right way. I also got some of my stuff from Crutchfield. They have great customer service and they give you everything you need to do the install. I need a new power antenna, too. You wouldn't happen to have any part #s, would you. I look through my parts book and it doesn't give a specific # for any of the years.
GTAyumiko, I have none of the problems you describe. It holds steady at around 9 volts while idling with the radio and lights on or off. It sounds like either your battery or alternator is starting to go if you're having this problem. The Optima is a deep cycle battery which basically just gives me more reserve time where I can play the radio without the car running. On the other hand, the 140 amp alt supplies enough juice for everything to work fine at one time. You really don't have enough audio power right now to warrant a bigger alt, but if you determine your alt is bad and might one day get amps and such, then you might want to upgrade right away. I'll see if I have more pics on the computer to put up. I know I took some during the install.
87GTA Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003   #5
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

One question, Yumiko.... how in the HELL do you drive and watch a DVD at the same time...????????

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003   #6
gtayumiko
GTA Member

The DVD Navigator is not a movie DVD. What this means is the mapping information is stored on DVD format: roads, gas stations, banks, parking, atm, restaurants, and points of interest such as land marks and tourist actractions. The Navigator then transmits to satillites and the satillites track the vehicle and then transmits back to the navigation in the car my exact location. I can constantly see the heading, speed, and altittude of my vehicle. My favorite part is I never get lost and if it's at night and foggy, I can look up ahead and see which way the roads will turn and if there are interections or on/off ramps, I can anticipate additional merging traffic. So the only thing I am looking at is a five inch by six inch map on the screen. Alpine made it where no one can plug in a DVD player into this unit. Yumiko
Old 12-12-2003   #7
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

I too am into the car Audio.

I am also running some old school equipment that I just think is the best.

Eclipse 55430 HeadUnit Flush Mounted
Eclipse 4 Point Source Front Speakers
Eclipse 6x9 Rear Speakers
(2) Precision Power 10 Flat Piston Pro Subwoofers
Precision Power Pro Mos 425 Powering Interior Speakers
Precision Power Pro Mos 450 Powering Subwoofers
Crossfire Three Way Crossover

Check out my website for pics of the Stealth Installation.

http://www.scottzimmerman.net/images.../gtaaudio.html

92 Z28 Convertible

87 Monte Carlo SS - Turbo V6 Powered
86 Regal T-Type
zimmstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #8
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Cool Re: Anyone into car audio?

That is how we do my car too. Both seats out of car and alot of interior panels remove. I do not have trunk thing you have though. I did not get any sort of amps or speakers that were big either. I do not want to lose any hearing. Thank you for the pictures. I am always interested to see what other owners to do their GTA. Yumiko