Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-21-2003   #1
The Burning Rom

Common GTA Problems?

Hi,
I'm new to the world of Trans Ams. Currently, I'm looking at a maroon/gold 1989 Trans Am GTA. It's an autmoatic, and I assume it's got a 5.7L under the hood with 40k on the clock. The only mod it has is flowmaster exhaust. The only defects that I can see so far are a cracked air damn (not fascia), and rips in the driver seat. However, I have yet to see a GTA for sale with no rips in the seat.

I was just wondering if there is ANYTHING else that could possibly be wrong with this car that I should be looking for? In the past I've purchased vehciles and later learned about common problem items that I should've looked at before buying. I want to do it right this time and look for the problems first. Any info is greatly appreciated.

www.wicgp.com
The Burning Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003   #2
G8erB8

I'm not an expert but I know a few things. First i would make sure it a GTA!http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Authentication.html If it is a GTA there's not too much that would not make me buy it as long as the price was decent. 6k or less. Maybe more if its in really good shape. Common problems are third gear in the trans. out, rear hatch motor not pulling the hatch down, center caps on the wheels missing, flashlight in the upper console missing, headlights stuck in the up position. Thats all i can think of right now, maybe someone else can think of more. All of these are an easy fix. As long as the frame is straight, I would get it! It's a real fun car, these things just help to lower the buying price!
G8erB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003   #3
The Burning Rom

Quote:
Originally posted by G8erB8
I'm not an expert but I know a few things. First i would make sure it a GTA!http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Authentication.html If it is a GTA there's not too much that would not make me buy it as long as the price was decent. 6k or less. Maybe more if its in really good shape. Common problems are third gear in the trans. out, rear hatch motor not pulling the hatch down, center caps on the wheels missing, flashlight in the upper console missing, headlights stuck in the up position. Thats all i can think of right now, maybe someone else can think of more. All of these are an easy fix. As long as the frame is straight, I would get it! It's a real fun car, these things just help to lower the buying price!
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure it's a GTA, but I will check the codes to make sure. The price is very decent. It's much less than 6k. And the body is flawless, except for one fender which looks like it's been repainted. I know all the caps are there and in great condition. I also know that the lights retract, as they're retracted right now. I'll have to wait on the rest of the things you mentioned until I get to take a closer look at it with the owner. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2003   #4
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
Don't assume it's a 350. Check the VIN to be sure. Also 40K miles and a ripped seat just doesn't match unless if it was an accidental tear. Also check to make sure all the emblems are in place (authentication), and that all the seat controls work.
Other things to check is the rear cargo cover and T-top carrier.
On the price check with the Bank or Credit Union to verify the value of the car. This way you don't pay more than you need to.

Good luck,
-Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003   #5
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

If possible, get the VIN number of the car and get a carfax report on it. always do this when getting any used car to make sure you're not getting one with an undesireable past. The 40k and ripped seat doesn't match to me either. I got my car at 38k and the interior was perfect and still smelled new.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003   #6
The Burning Rom

Yes, the 40k and rip does sound strange. But some people just don't take car of their cars (especially interiors). I bought my 99 Grand Prix GT (car was less than 3 years old) with 39k on it, and it had a small rip in the leather. And it was not accidental, it was from wear. I can't imagine what it would've been like had the seats been cloth The outside of this car does not look like it has more than 40k on it. The sheetmetal seems to be in pefect condition! I had my dad stop and look at it, and he says it looks great...except for the seats. And he's been working with cars for almost 30 years.

I will check the VIN though, when I get a chance to stop and write it down. I also have to talk with the owner yet, and ask him some few questions. And of course, I have to take it for a ride

I have a question about the T-top carrier. Where would this be? In the trunk? I haven't been able to view the car with the owner present yet, but I will check this when I do get a chance. Thanks for the replies!

www.wicgp.com
Old 07-22-2003   #7
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
The T-top storage bag is in the trunk area. Also while you are looking back there check the spare tire in the passenger side compartment. It should also have the charge canister with it. Be sure to open the hatchback with the release button on the dash, just to make sure it works. Those go for a few hundred bucks to replace.
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003   #8
G8erB8

I just remembered...

Check the third brake light! The one in the spoiler. A lot of firebird third brake lights don't work. It's an easy fix though.
Old 07-22-2003   #9
dave89gta

Underbody, check the underbody. I cant say this enough. It can look flawless on the outside, but show MAJOR cancer underneath. Take the spare out and check underneath.
dave89gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003   #10
1991GTA
GTA owner

hey GRBRB8, when you say the third brake light is an easy fix, what do you mean? I have a 91 where the brake light is up top. It doesn't work. The guy who sold me the car said that he disconnected it cause it kept shorting out. Is that what your talking about?
1991GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003   #11
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Don't worry, the 3rd brake light on mine doesn't work either. Mark, that's what G8RB8 was talking about. yes it keeps shorting out. This time, the one I had shorted out compeltely and won't even light a new bulb. I'll remedy that in a few days though.

Old 07-23-2003   #12
1991GTA
GTA owner

Fred,
You the man.
Listen, you seem to have all the answers. I may live in south Forida but I'm born and raised in the boogie down bronx. What part of Brooklyn are you from? You and I need to chat about this GTA stuff. PM me and I'll give you my cell. As you may have read in my #1 post, I sold my Typhoon (pulled the motor out and rebuilt) but bought a Trans Am, however, there are still things, lots of things, here and there, that I need to learn about.
I gotta send you pics of my GTA too.
Hit me up.
Mark
Old 07-23-2003   #13
L98GTA

Does it have the original gold GTA honeycomb wheels?
L98GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003   #14
The Burning Rom

Quote:
Originally posted by L98GTA
Does it have the original gold GTA honeycomb wheels?
Yup, it has the gold diamond spoke rims with WS6 center caps....and they look flawless. I stopped this morning before work and wrote the VIN# down quick and ran the basic check on carfax. It came back as a Trans AM GTA with a 5.7L v8. But there were a lot of records for the car, so I am trying to get someone to run a full carfax for me.

I also tried to look at the odometer, and it didn't look like it said 40k on it. It looked like 13k, so that means it most likely has 113k, with 40k on the engine. I'll know for sure when I can take a better look at it...or when I can get a carfax. Thanks again for all the replies!

www.wicgp.com
Old 07-23-2003   #15
G8erB8

1991GTA

I don't know anything about it shorting out. when i bought my car the brake light didn't work. I took everything apart back there and used a test light to find power at the connection where the wire comes from up front to the thing that is next to the hatch motor.(i don't know the name of it) I got power there so i kept testing for power all the way to the lense! Turns out the bulb contacts were corroded!:loser: I have a bad habit of making things a lot harder than it is! But when I said it's an easy fix, I meant that as long as it's getting power from up front, everything else seemed easy to replace.
Old 07-23-2003   #16
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Yep, for me, when the bulb blew out, it took the contacts with it. I tried cleaning off what the bulb left behind but it was no good. So I just got aniother one off Ebay. When you change bulbs, don't touch the bulb. Use surgical gloves. Oil from your skin gets on the bulb and heats it up even more when it's lit.

1991GTA, check your PM

Last edited by Fred91GTA; 07-23-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2003   #17
1991GTA
GTA owner

Thanks guys.
I'll have a nice little 'to do' thing this weekend. I'll get in there and see whats going on. My high beams seem to like to stay on all the time despite pulling the signal lever. I guess I'll be looking into both things this weekend. I just had the front seats done (leather) and the guy did an outstanding job down here in Hollywood Florida. I have to show you picks as soon as I figure out a way to do so. I have a digital camera (any suggestions???)

Hey Fred, got your PM. I'll get with you after I try to tackle the ole brake light issue. I'll let you know how things go.
Thanks for your help. preciate it.

Mark
Old 07-28-2003   #18
91RamAirGTA

I didn't think the GTA's came with factory T-Tops. I know the deal could have them installed. That's the way mine is. Measure the distance between the windshield and the begining of the t-top.
From the factory it is 2" maybe a little bit more like 2.5" any farther than that then it is not a factory t-top.
91RamAirGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003   #19
dave89gta

T-tops was an option for GTA's. I dont think they're all that common, but some did, in fact, have factory t-tops.

--Dave
dave89gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003   #20
91RamAirGTA

i've just never seen a GTA or any 350 equiped T/A with factory t-tops, they've all been the dealer installed ones, and none have had the hooks in the trunk for the bag.
91RamAirGTA is offline   Reply With Quote