Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-23-2003   #1
CAR Motorsports

Green GTA Emblems

We are looking for someone who has a nice green GTA emblem that we can use to match up the color and get them produced. Someone from this board had contacted us about it in the past, but we can't find their contact info. The emblem will be returned and I'm sure we can find some additional means of reward for your assistance. The Green color of the emblem MUST be nice.

Thanks,

Alan
alan@carmotorsports.com
www.carmotorsports.com
alan@carmotorsports.com
CAR Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Alan, I have a NOS green nose emblem for a 1991-1992 GTA in my collection that I will supply as an example if you need me to. In fact, I have examples of each color for just about every year, except for the Flame Red Metallic used from 1987-1989 and both the Dark Jade Gray and the Bright Blue Metallic used in 1992.

I have examples of:

White
Black
Bright Red
Gunmetal
Brilliant Red Metallic (1990-1992)
Dark Brown Metallic (1987)
Dark Green Metallic (1991-1992
Yellow (1992)

Just send me an e-mail if you want to.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003   #3
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Talking

Now we know who has all the NOS emblems out there.......

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Quote:
Now we know who has all the NOS emblems out there.......
Man, that "black car-black car" photo shoot is in SERIOUS jeopardy after a cutting comment like that.... :rotflmao:

That one cut to the CORE.... *sniff, sniff*

Old 01-24-2003   #5
92GTA

I'm already in contact with Rich and I am sending him an NOS nose and fender emblem in Dark Jade Grey Metallic to work from so that color wil be soon covered as well. Of course the only person that will ever buy a set will be me
Old 01-24-2003   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

C'mon Alex, you KNOW that somewhere there are 17 other '92 GTA owners just foaming at the mouth hoping to get a chance to buy some new DJGM emblems for their GTAs....

Old 01-24-2003   #7
turboal
Classic Car Member

Emblems

Quote:
Originally posted by 92GTA
I'm already in contact with Rich and I am sending him an NOS nose and fender emblem in Dark Jade Grey Metallic to work from so that color wil be soon covered as well. Of course the only person that will ever buy a set will be me
That may be true, but we don't have them yet and are ready to move on this NOW. You snooze you looose Alex.

Alan
turboal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003   #8
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Talking

he he he he he he.........

Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2010 President )
http://www.transamclubofamarillo.com/

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. ( 90000 miles )
1989 GTA/TTA, 20th Anniversary, Indy Pace Car, #402 ( 35000 miles )

1989 Formula T-Top 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
1991 GTA Trans Am Hardtop 5.7 T.P.I. " SOLD "
2000 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 Auto " The EX got it! "
2002 Ram Air Trans Am LS1 6 Speed ( 13700 miles ) " SOLD "
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003   #9
92GTA

Alan, well then maybe Rich should reply to his emails. I sent him an email again about 2 weeks ago and have not heard a reply. I was going to send you the emblems for a color match, doesn't bother me though if you don't get them, I don't have to have a set anyway, mine are fine and I already have NOS one's....
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003   #10
Pete'sGTA

Price?

First of all, let it be known I am an advocate of supply side economics. However, can anyone tell me why a set of these emblems costs $300.00? I mean $60.00 for each emblem for no more than they really are seems ludicrous to me. As a businessman myself, if the market bears this amount and people will pay it, then fine, but as a consumer it seems outrageous.
Old 01-24-2003   #11
turboal
Classic Car Member

Re: Price?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete'sGTA
First of all, let it be known I am an advocate of supply side economics. However, can anyone tell me why a set of these emblems costs $300.00? I mean $60.00 for each emblem for no more than they really are seems ludicrous to me. As a businessman myself, if the market bears this amount and people will pay it, then fine, but as a consumer it seems outrageous.
Then you would not likely have bought them from the dealers either if they were not discontinued. I'm confident that the nose and 2 fender emblems were that much if not more. The sail was probably around $40. Plus, these emblems are rather complicated to make. They are called Cloisonne' emblems. What this means is that they are made with melted glass. The clear part of the emblems........that is what it is, melted glass poured in to a small stamped depression with appropriate coloring. The glass acts as a clear coat if you will. Cloisonne' emblems are by far the most stunning and beautiful, but they are also fairly expensive to make. Price some of the current ones like the WS6 emblem. Its EXPENSIVE. Also, the Reatta Hood emblem is about $65 to 70 dealer cost.

Just an FYI......

Alan
Old 01-24-2003   #12
turboal
Classic Car Member

Don't get in a tizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by 92GTA
Alan, well then maybe Rich should reply to his emails. I sent him an email again about 2 weeks ago and have not heard a reply. I was going to send you the emblems for a color match, doesn't bother me though if you don't get them, I don't have to have a set anyway, mine are fine and I already have NOS one's....
Calm down, Alex. It was my understanding that Rich had already told you to previously to send us the emblems and that they were on the way. I'm sure he's read your email in between his piloting duties but probably thought he could deal with it later, since the emblems were on the way. BUT, they never came. This has been going on for at least a couple of months.

BTW, You could always contact me if he doesn't get back to you. I haven't heard a peep from you since you started dealing with Rich though. You should know that Rich is but 1 part of the CAR Motorsports organization. I do not answer to him but get the feeling from one of your emails that you think I do answer to him. So I'm guessing you dealt with him thinking you were dealing with the top guy. Why deal with underlings, right? Unfortunately, it isn't true. We are equals here at our organization. As for the emblems, I handle ALL the production and licensing of the emblems and as such, would be the best person to deal with on them. The hold up with you was what you wanted for loaning the emblems.

My only thing is that I am tired of waiting for the emblems. I like to move and get things done as quickly as possible. My manufactuer can have them done in a matter of days if I get them to them SOON. This doesn't always happen, but here the only hold up is just a color match (NOTE: aside from the issue of the nose emblem on the 91 and 92 cars being plastic. We don't know if we can do plastic ones, but I know we can do metal versions that look even better.). I'm sorry if you are offended, but Frankie seems to be offering his emblems without caring about whether he gets something in return. If I have to wait until a deal is haggled out about what someone gets for loaning us a couple of emblems to do a color match, then I am waiting too long and need to move on.

With only 17 of those cars out there, we surely won't sell many of that color. I wish I knew exactly how many cars of each color were made.

Alan
Old 01-24-2003   #13
92GTA

I was only working with Rich because that's whose email I got when I emailed CarMotorSports through the web site. I know that he is just 1/3rd as are you but I didn't have your email anymore.

I didn't send them right away because he told me himself that it was possible that they might be lost and I'm still a little worried. In my last email that he had not repsonded to I addressed how I would like them handled when they arrived and how I would like them shipped back to me. If I can get your personal assurance that mine will not be lost then I will send them. I also would fell better about sending them directly to you instead of to the company address where just any one could accept them when they arrived. I'd let Frankie send you his but as he mentioned, he does not have a sample of this color.

Oh and as far as a deal, the last I spoke with him I was simply interested to know if you had the backings ready and how much a set would cost with the backing because last I had spoken to him he said he was still working on those. I only wanted to order a set when the backing were set to go so I would not have to deal with that. I also wanted to know if I could order a set of just the backing to re-attache my factory set...
Old 01-24-2003   #14
REMOVED USER

Hopefully you are reproducing Fender Emblems too !!
I need one Medium Green Metallic (45U)

Let me know when they are ready or who to contact.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-25-2003   #15
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

OK, now let's not get into a "pissing" contest here, guys. Nobody wins in a situation like that. We all need to still get along after this is all over with, you know.... The hobby itself has the be the
main thread of all this work.... the betterment of the GTA hobby!

Now, to address some other posts in this thread....

Quote:
I'd let Frankie send you his but as he mentioned, he does not have a sample of this color.
Gee, thanks a lot, Alex.... I guess my emblems are more expendable that yours....

Quote:
Yes, Pete... they were expensive from GM as well. The last set I bought ran me about $265 for the five emblems.... and that was at GM dealer wholesale cost. Many dealers charged more than that for them.... I see the point you're making, but this is just the "nature of the beast", I suppose....

Quote:
With only 17 of those cars out there, we surely won't sell many of that color. I wish I knew exactly how many cars of each color were made.
I can tell you how many of each color was made and sold in the US for 1988-1992. The 1987 GTA numbers were not registered as a separate model, so the totals are lumped with regular T/A production. I can tell you the number of GTAs sold in Canada each year, but I do not have color breakdowns on those cars. The small number of cars exported overseas, unfortunately.... I have no info at all on them.

Here are the yearly color breakdowns that I have:

1988: Black - 2129, White - 1957, Bright Red - 1940, Flame Red - 2809, Gunmetal - 930

1989: Black - 1659, White - 2961, Bright Red - 1475, Flame Red - 1731, Gunmetal - 644

1990: Black - 260, White - 183, Bright Red - 197, Brilliant Red - 162, Gunmetal - 82

1991: Black - 446, White - 377, Bright Red - 384, Brilliant Red - 222, Medium Green - 508, Gunmetal - 98

1992: Black - 38, White - 33, Bright Red - 36, Brilliant Red - 27, Medium Green - 45, Dark Jade Gray (aka Dark Bright Teal) - 18, Yellow - 14, Medium Quasar Blue - 15

Phew, my fingers are tired.....

Old 01-25-2003   #16
92GTA

Well it's been resolved via email and my emblems are in the mail to Alan
Old 01-26-2003   #17
CAR Motorsports

sales numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankieRider2
OK, now let's not get into a "pissing" contest here, guys. Nobody wins in a situation like that. We all need to still get along after this is all over with, you know.... The hobby itself has the be the
main thread of all this work.... the betterment of the GTA hobby!

Now, to address some other posts in this thread....

Gee, thanks a lot, Alex.... I guess my emblems are more expendable that yours....

Yes, Pete... they were expensive from GM as well. The last set I bought ran me about $265 for the five emblems.... and that was at GM dealer wholesale cost. Many dealers charged more than that for them.... I see the point you're making, but this is just the "nature of the beast", I suppose....

I can tell you how many of each color was made and sold in the US for 1988-1992. The 1987 GTA numbers were not registered as a separate model, so the totals are lumped with regular T/A production. I can tell you the number of GTAs sold in Canada each year, but I do not have color breakdowns on those cars. The small number of cars exported overseas, unfortunately.... I have no info at all on them.

Here are the yearly color breakdowns that I have:

1988: Black - 2129, White - 1957, Bright Red - 1940, Flame Red - 2809, Gunmetal - 930

1989: Black - 1659, White - 2961, Bright Red - 1475, Flame Red - 1731, Gunmetal - 644

1990: Black - 260, White - 183, Bright Red - 197, Brilliant Red - 162, Gunmetal - 82

1991: Black - 446, White - 377, Bright Red - 384, Brilliant Red - 222, Medium Green - 508, Gunmetal - 98

1992: Black - 38, White - 33, Bright Red - 36, Brilliant Red - 27, Medium Green - 45, Dark Jade Gray (aka Dark Bright Teal) - 18, Yellow - 14, Medium Quasar Blue - 15

Phew, my fingers are tired.....
EXCELLENT INFO, Frankie. Thanks for taking time to post it. I'm curious about why the HUGE drop off in sales from 89 to 90. That's a big difference in just 1 model year? I'm amazed by those numbers.

Alan
www.carmotorsports.com
alan@carmotorsports.com
Old 01-26-2003   #18
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

The drop-off in 1990 sales can be partly ascribed to the small amount of production for that year. The new-for-1991 "Banshee-styled" Firebirds appeared in the Spring of 1990, which meant that style of car was actually marketed for almost a year and a half; the 1990 cars were only on the market for about six months before being replaced.

So the 1991 production total is "inflated" due to the same reasoning. But the rapidly escalating retail sticker price certainly had an effect on sales as well.

By 1990, the base price was well above $20,000 for a GTA and climbing.... and the few options available raised the tally by another $2000 or so; a local dealer once told me that they had a 1992 GTA that was almost a $26,000 sticker price. In recent years, I've seen GTA stickers with higher numbers than that even....

The '92 models were the primo "wallet-drainers" if you bought one new.... the base price was over $25,000. Of course, the '92 GTAs were produced on order only; there were no cars built for dealers stock. With that kind of sticker shock, it's no surprise really....

Old 01-26-2003   #19
CAR Motorsports

One more question

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankieRider2
The drop-off in 1990 sales can be partly ascribed to the small amount of production for that year. The new-for-1991 "Banshee-styled" Firebirds appeared in the Spring of 1990, which meant that style of car was actually marketed for almost a year and a half; the 1990 cars were only on the market for about six months before being replaced.

So the 1991 production total is "inflated" due to the same reasoning. But the rapidly escalating retail sticker price certainly had an effect on sales as well.

By 1990, the base price was well above $20,000 for a GTA and climbing.... and the few options available raised the tally by another $2000 or so; a local dealer once told me that they had a 1992 GTA that was almost a $26,000 sticker price. In recent years, I've seen GTA stickers with higher numbers than that even....

The '92 models were the primo "wallet-drainers" if you bought one new.... the base price was over $25,000. Of course, the '92 GTAs were produced on order only; there were no cars built for dealers stock. With that kind of sticker shock, it's no surprise really....
One more question. Why so many different and weird colors in 92? No other year really compares to that. Makes me wonder who was in charge and what the heck was going on at Pontiac then.

Alan
www.carmotorsports.com
alan@carmotorsports.com
Old 01-26-2003   #20
92GTA

In 1992 Pontiac had 4 1992 only colors to celebrate the Firebird 25th anniversary:

Dark Jade Grey Metallic
Medium Quasar Blue
Jamaica Yellow

I can't remember the 4th one off hand, maybe Frankie knows...

Here it is:

Dark Aqua Metallic

There were a total of 9 colors offered in 1992 on the Firebird, I see Frankie only mentioned 8 of them. Frankie, do you have a 1992 brochure? It's shows all 9 colors...

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-26-2003 at 04:33 PM.