Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-22-2002   #1
Pete'sGTA

Question Rear Wing

Everyone knows the OEM spoilers on these cars were crap. Mine is no different. Even though my car only has 20k original miles and was garage kept before I bought it, and the car is otherwise nearly mint, this dagum thing still rotted from the inside out. I finally got tired of sweeping up rust and rot off the floor everytime I opened the deck lid and closed it. Last night, I took the thing off. Didnt take much effort, I basically helped it FALL off. It was nastier than I thought. I had to cut to the two bolts off on the outside, what a mess. The deed is now done. I had planned to replace it anyway. Has anyone had any success with the fiberglass product from GT Accessories? They seem quite expensive. Are there any other alternatives out there?

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all of you and your families!

Pete
Old 12-22-2002   #2
TX_1987_GTA
GTA Owner

Cool

I have not used on personally but have a friend that has. He said it was a great product, need little pre paint preperation and when I saw it it looked great & fit very well on the car. I have plans to make that change when I get to that on my car as well. The one thing i have seen with most fiberglass parts is that you get what you pay for & this one seems like a really nice replacement. Good Luck, Joe
TX_1987_GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
I can comment here since I have one of the fiberglass spoilers on my red GTA, courtesy of GT Auto Accessiories. They give a small discount to patrons of The GTA Source Page, so be sure to tell George there at GT Auto that I told you about these great spoilers.

The quality is top-notch on these units.... mine only had to be lightly sanded before painting. It also comes with all new stainless hardware for installation. It does not reuse the horrid plastic clips, but instead has a small stainless bracket that holds the front tips of the spoilers in place. It's only visible when the hatch is raised.

I finally met George and his brother this past August at the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton; very nice guys both of them. In August they were behind on production due to the limited number of molds they had; be sure to check first before ordering as to the expected delivery date because demand was certainly outstripping availability at the time.

I'll snap some pics of mine for you the next time I'm out at the shop so you can see a finshed and installed spoiler for your own reference.

Yes, the OEM spoilers were indeed crap-o.... my red GTA's was busted when it was still on the dealer's lot! Plus they were last listed by GM at $1,700 in the GM parts books! So at less than 1/3 of the cost of a GM spoiler (still the same crappy foam rubber too when they were D/C'ed), you can now get a new fiberglass piece that will be a one-time purchase. Well, unless you break it or something....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002   #4
Red88GTA
GTA Member

Pete, thanks for bringing this up and Thanks Frankie for mentioning the details on this. I knew from an old forum there was some discount..

Anyhow, mine looked good, but when I decided to take it off, the two outer bolts broke right off not to mention I was then able to see the rust inside of it. So needless to say, I am fixin to start ordering one.. Y'all have a great Christmas..

1988 Bright Red GTA, digital dash, Grey Cloth, L98
Red88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003   #5
Pete'sGTA

Customer Service

I have been trying to contact GT Accessories now for nearly a week. I have now left three voice mail messages and one email, none of which have been returned or acknowledged. Frankie or anyone else out there, are these people that hard to get ahold of? I WANT to give them some business but they do not seem to be very responsive. Anybody else had similar dealings? I have money and want to order their product. What gives?

Thanks...Pete
Old 01-27-2003   #6
my_87_bird

Angry the wings are junk

your wing is no different than mine. I have an 87 t/a and my wing is falling apart. the only alternative i have found is a carbon fiber look alike. these arent cheap....prices range from 300-500. depending on if u want L.E.D lights, colors etc. thought i would let you know. also i am selling my t/a need a parts car. it runs but something is making it cut out to the point of shutting off. i am selling it for 1500.00 o.b.o. if u are interested or would like to see pics email me at rdobsonjr@yahoo.com
thanks
rich
my_87_bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003   #7
DMCPONT
GTA Member

Rear TA Spoiler

on the same subject... We are looking a a urathene mix to reproduce one that will be a bit more flexible then fibreglass but rigid & have a firm but soft feel.
Cost wise is approaching A$220.. which is about US$135. Cost of shipping & customs clearance of small quanities over to the USA will be added to that and anybody elses mark up but the shipping to the USA is no more then I see another spoiler supplier charges for shipping internally inside the usa.

PS: (yes Allan F. GM Resto Parts approval will be sort if needed too OK.. so settle down now before you start on me again :-) !!)
DMCPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003   #8
turboal
Classic Car Member

Re: Rear TA Spoiler

Quote:
Originally posted by DMCPONT
on the same subject... We are looking a a urathene mix to reproduce one that will be a bit more flexible then fibreglass but rigid & have a firm but soft feel.
Cost wise is approaching A$220.. which is about US$135. Cost of shipping & customs clearance of small quanities over to the USA will be added to that and anybody elses mark up but the shipping to the USA is no more then I see another spoiler supplier charges for shipping internally inside the usa.

PS: (yes Allan F. GM Resto Parts approval will be sort if needed too OK.. so settle down now before you start on me again :-) !!)
Dave,

I've got no problems with what you are doing. In fact, My partner will be on the list to buy a few spares for his 4 turbo cars. Once I acquire me one, I'll be wanting a spare too. The only thing from me you'll hear is cheers! :-)

Alan
turboal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003   #9
FlameGTA
GTA Member

guess ive been lucky, i have an 87 gta and there isnt a sign of cracking or anything on the wing, just as good as it was brand new, knock on wood
FlameGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003   #10
Pete'sGTA

Angry

Another week has passed and still no response from GT Accessories. They apparently do not value prospective customers. They do not return phone calls nor answer e-mails. I am in business to make money, they obviously are not. Anyone know where else a person can buy a spoiler for these cars?

Thanks...Pete
Old 02-03-2003   #11
theCrow32

Go to www.ramairhood.com. I ordered one from them last friday and they told me it should be here by tuesday. Cost is $455. US. That includes shipping. Had the same problem with gt accessories, so I spent my money elsewhere. Just my 2c.
theCrow32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003   #12
Pete'sGTA

Thanks for the info Crow. They just got a new customer.

Pete
Old 02-07-2003   #13
Pete'sGTA

Skull & Crossbones

Just had my new wing delivered to my office truck freight. I checked it over thoroughly and it looks like a good product. It came from APM Automotive in Florida (ramairhood.com). $395.00 plus $50.00 shipping. Considering I ordered it Monday, I'd say that is good service especially in light of the fact I have still heard NOTHING from GT Accessories even after three weeks. They were very nice on the phone too. Even gave me all new hardware! Once I get a chance to paint and install it, I will upload some pics. All those looking for a fiberglass replacement should check these folks out.

Thanks...Pete
Old 02-07-2003   #14
88GTANotchback
GTA Member

Cant wait to see the finished project!
88GTANotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003   #15
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
I have always had good results communicating with GT Auto, but so far they haven't answered my note from last week either. So maybe there are indeed some problems going on down there.

I checked out that other website you guys were talking about, and the photos they used to show their spoiler are the same ones GT Auto uses, so ??????? I will approach them about putting a link to their site on The Source Page. The main thing is that these wings are available to us enthusiasts, regardless of the source.

I hope that spoiler does good for you, though; I know I am so pleased with mine. It is great to have a one-time-fix for that particular problem.... Good luck.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote