Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-02-2002   #1
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

The 6 speed swap is Finally Complete

and what a pain in the arsss.

Lemme tell ya guys, this is was not a project for the faint of heart. I highly suggest using a lift when doing this as it probably saved this project to accomplish its completion.

On the plus side.. The car really hooks up nice now. I never realized how strong the car really was. I was afraid of blowing up the 5 speed tranny that was sitting behind it so I never really got up on it. I can actually chirp third gear.. I was stunned.

Some of the problems we ran into:
Stubborn Pilot Bearing (2 hour removal) - bearing did not want to come out, we actually had to cut through it in a few places to be able to pull it out.. It was truly annoying.

Clutch Fork eating Pressure Plate (5 hour issue) - Part of the clutch fork was rubbing against the pressure plate making a pleasant grinding sound.. Truly not something you want to encounter when you think you all done and ready to go! We had to remove everything and modify the fork.

Broken Level Pin Retainer (Overnite) - Had everything done with car running and the Level Pin Reatainer on the Clutch Pedal Broke. This is the retainer that holds the master cylinder shaft to the clutch level pin on the upper pedal assembly. I highly suggest replacing it!

Total Job Time was Saturday 10pm - Sunday 6:30pm. We took an hour nap Sunday afternoon but went through the night otherwise.

A few nice things.

The McLeoud Dual Friction Clutch Kicks Arss....
The Spohn T-56 Crossmember and Torque Arm Combo are amazing. Very Nice Setup. This thing bolted up great.. No clearance issues at all with the exhaust or my custom subframes.

I have the driveshaft loop on mine and the 3" Aluminum LSI Shaft fit with minor modification. We added a washer on each of the front mounting bolts for the crossmember. It set it back enough to put it in the perfect position.

Now we rest.. Just thought I would let everyone know!!!!

-Scott-
87 GTA LT1 ( 6 speed )

92 Z28 Convertible

87 Monte Carlo SS - Turbo V6 Powered
86 Regal T-Type
zimmstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002   #2
southgta
F-Body Member

6 speed

Where did you get your tranny from? New or used? Thinking about the same swap for my 87. Does your have 350 or 305?
southgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002   #3
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

Its a used tranny with 70k miles. Found it locally. I have a 350 LT1 in mine!

92 Z28 Convertible

86 Regal T-Type
Old 12-03-2002   #4
Tony89GTA
GTA Member

How did you modify the fork to get rid of that problem?
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, ZZ9 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002   #5
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

we cut an indentation on each side where we determined it was rubbing, we also replaced the metal piece that the fork uses to pivot on with a new one.

92 Z28 Convertible

86 Regal T-Type
Old 12-09-2002   #6
JAY87GTA
GTA Member

Wink

I never had any problem with mine rubbing, but I went with the single Mcleod so that's probably why. What rear gear you running? I still have the stock 3.27, cruise 85-90 at 1700 RPM. Glad to hear you like the torque arm setup, I plan on getting it as well as some time in the near future. I used my stock starter, just had to clearance the belhousing somewhat. You got lucky, installing the pedals was the worse part for me!
'87 GTA w/ euro mirrors, L98/700R4, Edelbrock headers, catco hi-flow cat, flowmaster catback w/2 chamber muffler, Edelbrock intake, SLP runners, Holley 52mm T-body, SLP coldair, Energy Suspension bushing kit, Russel brake lines, T56 w/ Mcleod clutch and pressure plate, B&M Ripper shifter, Spohn crossmember
JAY87GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002   #7
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

i am running the stock 3.45 but i have a set of 3.91 sitting right in front of me here on my desk that are dying to go in!

92 Z28 Convertible

86 Regal T-Type
Old 12-10-2002   #8
JAY87GTA
GTA Member

Those are the gears I want to get as well. Just got my 383 running and all so no cash for awhile! You got lucky with the 3.45 gear, I only trap the 1/8th in second gear!
JAY87GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002   #9
zimmstoy
GM Enthusiast

if ya wanna buy the 3.45 when i pull em let me know.

92 Z28 Convertible

86 Regal T-Type