Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-28-2002   #1
onebadta
GTA Member

89 GTA 350 - 383 uprade opinions???

HI i have a 89 GTA which is in great condition i recently painted it 5 monthes ago, I'm curently redoing th interior.. and i'm gathering parts for the 383.... I'm using the stock block, an eagle crank, eagle H-beam rods, SRP flat top pistons 11.0:1 w/64cc head, i havent yet decided for sure on heads but seriously considering Trick flow twisted wedge 64cc .202 .160 valves 197cc intake runners, i havent decided intake setup either,,,, i'm looking at the accel super ram, mini ram, and stealth ram.... i like the price of the stealth ramand the looks but i'm going for performance not price here i will be running the ACCEL DFI 7 system, which i have already purchased the laptop for... i know your all thinking this dude is crazy spending this kinda $$$, i have driven lots of cars new and old and i like my GTA the best #1 you dont see 10,00000000 going down the road but anywho whats you guys opinions on this....thanks
onebadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002   #2
The Anvil

My opinion is this should be one fast GTA.

Everything sounds good to me. The HSR is a great intake from what I've read about it over on thirdgen. I think personally that any of those 3 intakes should really haul the mail.

I understand your rationale for building a car you really like. The GTA is a unique vehicle and certainly worthy of holding onto and building up as you envision.

Dave

Gunmetal metallic, L98, all performance options.
The Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002   #3
brandon87gta
GTA Member

With 11:1 compression I would definetly be looking to aluminum heads. Weight savings and the fact they handle heat and compression better, is nice too.

With the good flowing heads, I would look into getting the intake that flowed the most cfm, period. Since the heads will be able to move a lot of air, you might as well be putting as much as you can in the combustion chamber.

Just my 2 cents.

Brandon
brandon87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002   #4
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Quote:
i like the price of the stealth ramand the looks but i'm going for performance not price here
You may want to go with a different set of heads. Back when I still visited thirdgen.org I heard about numerous problems with trick flow, like bad valve guides, oil burning, ect.

The best set of heads out there are AFR's. I bought a set with my last GTA and though I didnt get to drive it for very long I was very happy with the product.
Old 11-30-2002   #5
onebadta
GTA Member

yes.. AFRs are very nice heads... I was just talking to a friend that owns a race Engine shop about them yesterday and he said that in his opinion i could get a canfield head that would be just as good... but i have a while before i hafta purchase a set of heads so maybe i can run across a set of used ones for a decent price
onebadta is offline   Reply With Quote