Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-10-2002   #21
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

That plenum isnt even close to being done yet though. Thats just what it looks like with all the casting off and sanded up to 320 grit.....

Dont really know how much further I am going to take it....400 dry/wet and see how that turns out.

On another note though, my runners should be getting here on thursday.
rich88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002   #22
Dj92GTA
GTA Member

yeah it looked a little rough but i didnt wanna say anything

let us know how those SLP pieces look... thats what ill be going with... 220 for a set of runners... hard to beat that
Old 09-10-2002   #23
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Where did you get a price of $220!!!!???? I got mine from SLP at $259+$20 for shipping.
Old 09-10-2002   #24
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey rich, let us know when you finish with the porting job and put up some results. then go back and play with the PROM a little. Since it's getting more air, I believe you can add more spark and fuel. Let us know how it goes afterwards. I'm really looking forward to seeing some results. Good Luck!

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002   #25
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well, It should be this weekend. Thats the plan anyway. As far as the prom goes though it might just have to wait. I still need to build my interface cable, as well as figure out what it is that I will be changing.

It wont be long now though
Old 09-11-2002   #26
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

phew! that looks like a lot of work polishing the plenum. You did port it too didn't you? Anyway, looking good! I would hate to have to repolish that thing at every car show. Make sure it doesn't get wet while hot. Those water spots are tough on polished alluminum. Have you considered having the intake parts ceramic coated? Since you have the casting smoothed out it would look great, clean up easy, and dissapate heat more.
Old 09-11-2002   #27
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well I am not too concerned about incomming heat too much anymore. I will be bypassing the TB coolent lines. So Ceramic coating just seems a little too excessive.

You are right though. Polishing the plenum IS alot of work though. But this car has a long way to go before I take her to any car shows
Old 09-11-2002   #28
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well I have decided to stop my polishing. I am just too tired from all this. I hate to give it that "good enough" finish but after spending 11 days straight in my garage, I think you can all understand.
Not only that but my runners will be here tomorrow and I will still have to port those out to match the base and plenum before I have to go back to work. I also have to assemble everything too!!!!! ERRRRR thats going to be a PITA if UPS doesnt get here early in the morning. Anyway, here is a picture of what I have so far....maybe a little later on down the road I can remove it and do more work to it......
Old 09-11-2002   #29
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

that looks sweeeet. ide really love to do that to my TPI...but stupid things take up too much time...like college. its gonna looks sweet in the engine bay.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002   #30
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Actually I think it could look much better. That is just about 1 hour sanding with 400 wet. I mean its not horrible looking or anything. Just not exactly the kind of shine I was looking for when I started. As far as what it will look like when its in the engine compartment? Not that good I am sure. I dont have time to polish my runners so it will be just a polished plenum with cast runners......not the most attractive setup in the world. I actually think it would look better if I had left it cast....just till I have the time to polish the runners that is
Old 09-11-2002   #31
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Just doing a sig check
Old 09-13-2002   #32
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well after 13 days its finally finished!!!! But before I start gloating about my recent accomplishment, I first have somthing to say:

SLP are a bunch of morons....I recieved my runners at 2pm pacific time and started to work. It wasnt till I had the base and fuel rail on that I noticed it didnt have a hole for the cold start injector. I was upset but it wasnt catastrophic or anything. I would just unscrew the CS injector and put a cap over the rail(big mistake...tell ya later). So I started to assemble everything and I noticed a multitude of machining errors. Just look at the pics I have attached and you will be able to tell that it was a 10 year old that made my runners. I scratched up my plenum real good trying to put those runners on..ERRRRRR. Anyway I just thought I would share that.

THis is a pic of the base installed.
Old 09-13-2002   #33
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

This is the point where the fuel rail was put on...that was a PITA
Old 09-13-2002   #34
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Finally got the bottom runner bolts on....ARGGGGHHHHHHH
Old 09-13-2002   #35
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Plenum was a PITA also. Trying to get it on there without the gaskets falling off was a real pain.
Old 09-13-2002   #36
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

At this point I had broke the hose on my passenger side PCV valve. So I had to improvise by blocking off either end just so that I can get it running till I get a chance to go get another hose. I also installed the TB coolent bypass in this pic. Kinda hard to see with the intake put back together but it was real simple.

Anyway so I get everything put back together and tried to start it. .....NOTHIN'!!!!!!!!! It cranked but no vroom vroom I popped the hood and got a huge whif of gas...oops there is my problem. That damn cap I put on had no O-RING!!!! ERRRRRR. So I quickly prayed to the JB weld god and asked what I could do...."easy" he replied. Just Put the CS injector back on and JB weld the nozzle closed. Well needless to say it worked.

Tried to start it again...no juicec DAMN!!!!!! Murphys law sux. So I jump the car and it starts right up. With the exception of a small coolent leak from my thermostat housing , and my having to figure out whats the deal is with my TV cable, all is well.

Now for the stuff you have all been waiting for. This thing runs like a dream!!!! It pulls strong with NO hesitation all the way up to 6000RPM's and it still wants more! This was a very powerful mod. I am sure with some head work and a cam that would fit this setup would be huge. I love it. I only got to drive it for about 5 miles. But it was fantastic. Dyno numbers and track times to come....once I get a few other things done, that is.

Hope you guys got somthing out of this....
Old 09-13-2002   #37
brandon87gta
GTA Member

rich88gta,

If I remember correctly, you should get about 15-20 HP out of doing the port job, sure about the torque. And like you said get rid of the hesitation.

Brandon
brandon87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002   #38
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

It was worth it. I am not sure about the numbers as of yet. But like I said before. The car died after like 4500 RPMs. It would pick up speed yes....just slowly. Now in the lower gears its lightning fast reaching 6000 and in OD it just keeps pulling, and pulling, and pulling.....
Old 09-13-2002   #39
IROC-T
Who was that masked man?

Skull & Crossbones GRRREAT!!!!

Glad you got it running keep us posted with the results. I can give you a few pointers on the polishing when you think your ready to polish thoughs nasty lookin' (j/k) runners and you'll be super happy with the end process. I would like to know how and what type wrench you used to get to the bottom of the runners without taking off the valve covers? I striped a hole trying to do this and ended taking the covers off. Anyways congates on the job looks good from my house! T
IROC-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002   #40
IROC-T
Who was that masked man?

PS

What did you do to fix the maggot holes ???
IROC-T is offline   Reply With Quote