Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-04-2002   #1
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

My siamese porting job(part 2)

That other thread has gotten quite large. Time to make a new one.

Anyway, I have a question for you guys. What do you think about leaving the SLP runners alone? I have been beating myself over the head with this problem for the last day or so. This is what I think: If I leave them alone I assume it will smooth the flow going into the intake, as well as keep the air velocity up. Now if I port them out the engine will have just that much more free air to grab when it needs it. Though the gains could be good on a stock 350 I am sceptical on if it will pull in enough air to keep the velocity at a decent enough level...Its a gamble I know. Do you think it will be worth the risk?
rich88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002   #2
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Question

I do not know if you will get a good answer to your questioning, simply because I think on this project you have gone where no man (GTA owner) has gone before, at least from my own experiences talking with guys about GTA's and engine stuff. I think most of us, at least myself, we are just watching you cause I do not know a thing about this. keep posting this one though, and photos too. Good luck. Yumiko
Old 09-05-2002   #3
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well, thats ok. I think I have made up my mind anyway. I think I will just go ahead and leave them in there stock form for now. Heck, I can always pull them off later if I feel the engine needs more.
Old 09-05-2002   #4
IROC-T
Who was that masked man?

Maggots

Your pin holes are caused from three things working in unisen. Two dissimalar metals(iron,alum.),and water/antifreeze(stagnet) which causes electrolysis,w3hich will eat the aluminum. A GOOD fix is a product you can pick-up from a marine dealer its cal Marine-Tex this stuff is great for this kind of thing, I used it to put a header stud in my tucks head eight (8) years ago and I have put a lot of torque & on it over the years and its still holding strong, you can even fix a cracked head with it. Good Luck T.
IROC-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002   #5
IROC-T
Who was that masked man?

P.S. Match..

I think I would try and Port match the runners if possibile this would give you a smoother flow of air.... T.
IROC-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002   #6
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well, I read a post about someone on thirdgen.org who did the same thing you're doing rich. He ported the hell out of his SLPs and base TPI intake manifold. You could try asking over there but like usual, a bunch of flamers and know-it-alls. That's why I never go there anymore. I dio agree with leaving the SLPs alone for now. You can always port them out later on if you decide to. Kinda like a before and after comparison huh?

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002   #7
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Ya, It just seems like a good idea to do it that way. But, I will be following IROC-T's suggestion and port match them. It would be a stupid thing to port the intake and then bolt on somthing not matched to the gaskets that I am using. Having a step in the middle of my airway is not somthing to be desired

BTW...does anyone else hate the way SLP does there shipping? I ordered the runners yesterday and they wont even mail them out for 3-4 days???? Whats up with that? $20 to ship a set of runners that weigh, what? 5lbs? via UPS ground? I will be lucky to see those runners by thursday(sigh).
Old 09-05-2002   #8
Dj92GTA
GTA Member

SLP doesnt even ship to canada... id like to know how they get the parts to do the conversions considering they modify the freaking cars up here

Im with IROC-T though... gasket match them so there isnt a ridge that the air smacks into and basically nullifiles all your porting.
Old 09-05-2002   #9
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

That's $20 for shipping and handling. A lot of companies incur their S&R overhead in the handling charges rather than in product price.
Also, many mail order companies will not ship until the credit card has been processed. I hate it too.
Old 09-05-2002   #10
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Ok, shipping and handling......it still sucks.
Old 09-06-2002   #11
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well, considering that I am stuck here waiting to get my runners. I decided to polish my fuel rails. Tell me what you think. Its a cloudy day here in San Diego so keep that in mind.
Old 09-06-2002   #12
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

Nice... I polished mine when i did my intake gasket change, and thats about how they look. I was in a hurry and it was 4am..so yours look better. Thats gonna top off your motor nicely.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002   #13
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Ya I think they will look pretty good once all assembled. It was alot easier than doing cast aluminum thats for sure. It took probably about an hour or so to do. I used 320 grit dry/320 wet/ 400 dry/ 400 wet/ then polished with #0000 steel wool and mothers. Buffed out with a flannel cloth.
Old 09-06-2002   #14
Dj92GTA
GTA Member

wow... you should get them andonzied the color of your car now.. that would be sweet
Old 09-07-2002   #15
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

OK...at a bit of a delema here. I just finished porting my plenum. I am now in the process of polishing it. I cant seem to get into the grooves at the top well enough to satisfy me. My question is simple though....do I just leave all that casting there and polish around it....do I paint the plenum the color of the body(or what it will be anyway) or do I fight with it for the next couple of days and see if I cant get in the grooves?

Oh btw if painting is a suggestion what type of paint would be good?
Old 09-08-2002   #16
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

i would suggest gettin some dremel polishing bits...to get into the grooves... i was just at home depot and i saw some that looked to be helpful. might take some time and patience...small coverage with the small bits. as for paint, if you go that route, I would stop by your local autozone or pep boys... they should have engine enamel paint in a wide variety of colors. its good to 500 degrees. that is what i used on my pontiac 400 that i built. and since im a sceptical person, i wanted to see how much heat it could take, so i took a blow torch to a part that i painted, it took quite awhile before it even turned brown. also, ive found with that paint, that it dries realy fast, and hard so it wont be tacky. it sprays really nice too...good coverage. i actually used gloss black engine paint on my inner fender wells and the finish is really nice. they even make a clear coat in that high temp paint. just a suggestion....im hooked on the engine enamel....

Justin
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002   #17
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Thanks man, I think ill go the painting route. I think it will look better anyway...more custom you know? I have a dremel with the small bits too(thats how I ported my base) and havent had much luck in the grooves....I keep grinding the sides and messing those up....
Old 09-10-2002   #18
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

After many hours of sanding(still not done yet) I think I am at that point that I should start painting the grooves. The color I am going with is called Ford Red. Its about the closest thing I could come to GM Bright Red. What do you think?
Old 09-10-2002   #19
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

oops here is the pic
Old 09-10-2002   #20
Dj92GTA
GTA Member

nice shine rich... i think i will be trying the same thing soon... looks as if ive decided to ditch the way of the LT1 and do it LTR style..