Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-02-2002   #21
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Ok....this may be a dumb question. But I have never given it any thought really.... Those rear cooling passages...arent they supposed to flow somewhere? What I mean is that if you look at the bottom of my intake manifold all I see is a indentation....no real place for the coolent to flow. Whats up with that?? Does the water just sit there? Or am I missing somthing.

By the way Fred....did you get your fuel rail polished? If you did what did you use. I know that it is machined alum...but I only have experience polishing cast alum.
rich88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #22
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Yeah, those rear coolant passages are just an indentation on mine too. And I never did get my fuel rails polished. I wanna have enough cash to buy a new set of injuectors should I fudge something up royally taking the fuel rail apart, know what i mean?

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #23
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Ya I think I fudged somthing up myself just now.....I was finished with the base and started on my runners. I think I made a mistake there. I didnt look at the the top of the runners closely enough and found that there is about 1/8th of an inch there to work with....not much of a margin for error. So I just may pick up a set of SLP runners depending on how pissed off my wife will be.......
Old 09-03-2002   #24
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hehehe... just explain to your wife that those SLP runners are a "worthwhile" investment. Hey, at only $250 for a set, you sould make the argument that at least you aren't being like me and bought a Superram setup for $700 to put on a 383.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #25
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

LOL here I go....wish me luck
Old 09-03-2002   #26
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

rich88gta

ive been following this thread and im pretty impressed. I was actually thinking about doing some porting on my 305 TPI...not as extensive as you though. I dont think Ide have the guts to do that just yet... I have to take my plenum out...again... because I want to put in a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and possibly replace the EGR stuff. Im good with a dremel, but Im not sure what bits to use. I was just going to smooth some stuff out in the plenum. Just some of the really obvious stuff. I know that wont make much of a difference...but Ive heard it helps some. Lemme know what kind of toys you had to buy for your dremel to do it.

Justin
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #27
gtayumiko
GTA Member

I think they make this engine so it can be applied to handfull of applications. Those rear coolant passages probably there for some other type of intake manifold for another application, purhaps carborated intake manifold or something. This engine full of strange thing like that. That is why we have a place to install fuel pump on front passenger side of block but it closed up with a plate because our fuel pumps are in gas tank.
You mess it up something? Bummer! That suck. And runner costing how much? Ak! By the way fred, I mess up my injectors once. They were very old anyway so I needed to get new ones however. How I mess it up was I thought that I could clean then up (take out the carbon building up around the spray end). I clean them with carborator cleaner in spray can. Do not to it like that because carborator cleaner will mess it up. Also this cleaner will also ruin finishes on sensors. So do not clean sensors with this cleanner either. Good Luck. Yumiko
Old 09-03-2002   #28
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Justin,

The best thing to do is just to get into it. I have vertually no experience with porting....I have mostly only watched people do it. This will be my first major porting job. Everything else was just nickel dime stuff.

As far as dremel bits go, I used a square high speed cutter for most of the big stuff...work fairly well, but it takes forever to dig into anything(so dont worry so much about mistakes..errrr unless your doing runners) For the smaller detailed areas I used a carbide tip. Those are spendy so only use them if you have to.

And hey, if your going to do the plenum....you might as well do it right the first time. If your really worried, save up the $45 bucks or so that it would cost you to buy a replacement and head to town

BTW everyone....thanks for all the compliments....as I said this is my first time doing any major porting work, and you know what??? It really wasnt that hard. Just time consuming.

Oh ya....the wife was pissed but she consented to the new runner thing....hehe sweet. I wont be on the road this week but hey...it will still be worth it
Old 09-03-2002   #29
IROC-T
Who was that masked man?

POLISHING ?

Good job! not the porting,but getting the Lil' Womans OK on the runners. lol A suggestion is to purcash a drum sander or one of those flapper drums an smooth out those passages and maybe cut down those corners a little more. I'm realy interested on how this turns out (lets see LOTS of pics). Why SLP runners?(reason ie.,price, performance, availability). The last time I ported an engine it was all iron, NOW that was a PITA but was worth effort so good luck and make an appointment with the Dino let us know what you get! T.
IROC-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #30
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be smoothing it all out tomorrow. Cant really get a drum sander though...have to do it by hand. Dont want to push my luck before I get my runners

Why SLP runners? They are already siamesed! just a little more work into them and they should be ready. Not only that but there is only a few other choices....and I didnt particularly like those. AS&M has some large tubes, ACCEL has large tubes, and so does TPIS....price was too high and none had the ability to be ported like the SLP's do.

As far as more pics go I will post more tomorrow when I am finished with the smoothing....
Old 09-03-2002   #31
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well I just ordered my runners I should get them in a week or so. Hopefully everything will be ready by then. All I will have to do is clean out the runners a little and polish them, then bolt everything back up.
Old 09-03-2002   #32
brandon87gta
GTA Member

rich88gta

Quote:
Now for my first question.....WHAT THE F*CK is THAT!!!!!! I have never seen this crap before. You cant miss it, its that maggot looking stuff in both the rear cooling passages. Yuck!

Well I found out what that stuff is: it is the anti-freeze breaking down over time and leaving deposits of silicone.

Brandon
brandon87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #33
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Silicone maggots in green goo huh? Interesting.....

Well today will be the last day for the base work. I am almost finished with it(I mean it this time) I will post pics in a few hours.
Old 09-03-2002   #34
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well...its not silicone.....apparently....its ALUMINUM. Thats right..the water that was sitting there was corroding the manifold! Thats CA water for ya.....

Take a look at this
Old 09-03-2002   #35
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

He is a shot from the top
Old 09-03-2002   #36
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

This is a shot of what the finished ports look like....
Old 09-03-2002   #37
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Finally the finished product...
Old 09-03-2002   #38
LrdNexus
F-Body Member

heyrich...while your online could I get another copy of those digital dash diagrams?

The laptop I had crashed and I lost them all.

nexus12@cox.net
LrdNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #39
ghettocruiser
Multi-Vehicle Member

That looks really good! Im really interested to see how it all turns out and what kind of changes it makes. I have a question about your mainfold corrosion... Are you gonan do anything about the holes? or just let them be?
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002   #40
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Hello Rich88,

Well, that is quite a line up of photos. Thank you for posting them cause I find your project most interesting. And Yes like the Ghettocruiser mentioning, what are your plans for holes? I would like to think you could get that fix. Can it be? And I'm pretty shock that it not leaking so bad coolant in that condition before you doing all this work. Yumiko