Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-01-2002   #1
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Arrow My siamese porting job

Ok after much debate here on the GTA scource page, in both the tech and non-tech forums. I have decided to put my money where my mouth is. Starting this morning(sat) I am doing a complete porting job on a bone STOCK GTA. Thats right I will be porting my base(siamese), runners(siamese) and the plenum(havent decided yet on how much ill port that). I will be documenting everything and posting pics as I go along. It should take about 3 days..including today.

Keep in mind that this is a complete stock 5.7L, I have yet to race this engine....mainly because I have not had the chance to tinker with it. But we all know what a stock 350 runs.

I am hoping to see less torque in 1st gear and more in 2nd...effectivly, I would like to move the torque cure up on the RPM scale. I also hope to see better engine breathing past 4000 RPM. I hope to see good pulls till at least 5000. But will settle for anything at this point.

Please feel free to give me your input....I am in no way an expert at porting....so if you see somthing wrong in my pics let me know and ill change it.

Ok enough BS.....this is a pic of my engine bay before any work was done.
rich88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002   #2
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

cont...

I started by removing the air intake elbow and MAF. I cut out the screens on the MAF for better flow. Then I removed the TV and cruise control cables and the bracket. From there I removed the TPS, IAC, cooling lines, and vacuum lines from the TB. Well, enough of them to move it out of my way anyhow. I just tie-wraped it to the AC compressor.

I will also be doing a TB coolent bypass mod later on. I will post pics.

Here is a pic of the TB removed and suspended.
Old 09-01-2002   #3
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

cont...

The next thing to go was the plenum. Unbolting the top runners is pretty easy. 4 bolts each side. A vacuum hose on the drivers side rear, and an elec plug on the bottom.
Old 09-01-2002   #4
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

I forgot what a PITA getting at those bottom bolts to remove the runners was. Last time I did this I had help.....I'm all alone (sniff, sniff).
Old 09-01-2002   #5
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Next to go was the fuel rail. Another PITA. LOL...hey FRED!!!!!!! I didnt strip my fuel lines!!!!!!!!! hehe, just thought I would get in a dig ....j/k Fred
Old 09-01-2002   #6
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Now we have to remove the distributor, thermostat housing and the base.
Old 09-01-2002   #7
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Now for my first question.....WHAT THE F*CK is THAT!!!!!! I have never seen this crap before. You cant miss it, its that maggot looking stuff in both the rear cooling passages. Yuck!
Old 09-01-2002   #8
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

here is the passenger side
Old 09-01-2002   #9
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Question

Whatever it is, not good for engine! Maybe something from space Yumiko
Old 09-01-2002   #10
ottawagta
GTA Member

Maybe its that "stop leak" stuff...I used a bottle of it ONCE in another car. Stopped the leak... and plugged up the whole rad!
ottawagta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002   #11
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

I dont think "stop leak" would plug a cyl head...... It sure is nasty lookin though isnt it?
Old 09-01-2002   #12
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Ok here is my first try....What do you guys think? Any good tips on how to polish them? How about cleaning them up? I went as deeps as my dremel would allow so tell me what you think......got to go, much more work to be done.
Old 09-01-2002   #13
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

cont...

close up
Old 09-01-2002   #14
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well....that was more work than I expected. I dont know what was worse....the 110 degree heat or the fact that the lighting in my garage sucks so I had to be outside in the 110 degree heat..... This better be worth it.

Well I ended today almost done with the base. I will finish the last set tomorrow and sand everything down with fine sandpaper. Then clean it up by spraying tons of water through it.
Old 09-01-2002   #15
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

the other side

nt
Old 09-02-2002   #16
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Question

Hello there,

Wow, that is quite interesting and unique what you doing to it. I have some questions if you do not mind that I asking. Here I go: are you sure that this is going to increase it the horsepowers and torque in the ways that you are wanting? What is it that you are taking into theory? Also, I am very interested to see how you will do runners. What is your plan to doing the runners same as intake manifold? Because there runners are not join will you adding on some more materials? And my last question: will all these parts stay in shape under heat of running engine? Because removing so much of the designing of intake manifold, runners and plenum, I just wondering if strength of this stuff being compromized due to removal of such materials. I hope your project a successfull one for you and really Good Luck.Yumiko
Old 09-02-2002   #17
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Hey yumiko,

This is what I have to go on....and why I am doing it. I helped a friend with his Iroc do the same thing....though I never got to drive the car before I moved out here to San Diego, he keeps telling me that it was a very powerful mod. Not only did he increase airflow(more air=more power) but by siameseing the runners and the base there is no worry about losing upper RPM power because of the smaller runner diameter(beacuse there is 2).

My plan for the runners is simple enough. Matching them to the base. I understand that I will not be able to port very far in, It should be enough to smooth the airflow going into the siamesed base.

As for durability, all these parts are aluminum, which we all know dissipates heat very quickly. Also, the only materials that are being removed are air passages....not a whole lot of pressure in those passages, well...not enough that it would compromise the integrity of the engine. The engine will run just fine....just with more air flowing through

I will probably be working on the base all day today as well....This is taking longer than I thought, but I am hoping to be completed by the end of the week.
Old 09-02-2002   #18
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

Well, I have finally finish the base....Damn that was alot of work. Just a little bit of smoothing and all will be well. Here are a few pics of what I have completed.
Old 09-02-2002   #19
rich88gta
GTA Junkie

otherside....
Old 09-02-2002   #20
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Wow Rich, looks like awesome work. and yes, I am very happy for you that you did not strip the fuel lines. finding those lines at the junkyard was a real B****. Getting them on was an even bigger B**** when I had to take off my alternator to do it.

Oh, I never did have any of that gunk in the rear coolant passages... That certainly is some wierd stuff... Clean it out ASAP!!!

I'm very eager to hear about your results on the stock 350. Post up some results when you're done. Good luck!

Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote