Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-16-2002   #1
Darkside
F-Body Member

Unhappy Need help .Subframe connecters. Don't no what to do

Hello could someone help me i am looking for a manufacturer who makes a really strong set of subframe connecters the bolt in kind not the weld in kind something that will really make a big differnce in strenthing up the frame . Also what would you guy's recomend a set of weld in or bolt in and welded in to place because i really don't want to cut in to the frame unless it is really going to strenthen it up and also because if the car becomes a classic cutting in to the frame might decrease it's value.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well, here's my .02 cents worth of advice. I'm not looking to keep my car original at all, so I am not concerned about how much the car will be worth in the future by keeping it all original. Now, Sub-frame connectors are the best mod any thirdgenner can do. If I were you, I buy the weld in frames. The bolt ins suck because after time, all the stress from the frame flexing causes the bolt holes to stretch and the frame becomes less effective. Now, as for cutting into the frame and decreasing the car's value, I don't know anything about that.... I've never even heard of that one... But think about this: Without subframe connectors, your car will undergo years of chassis flexing. With bolt-ins, the situation is improved, but not as well as with weld-in sfcs. with all thet flex over the years adding up, the body will not be as straight as when it left the factory and bolt holes will no longer line up perfectly. I'd say just get the weld-ins, have peace of mind, and protect your investment. I got my sfcs from www.spohn.net. These were specifically designed for thirdgens are simply outstanding.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002   #3
91GTA383
GTA Member

If any cutting is required for your application it should be on the sfc's themselves not your frame. Maybe a little exhuast mods and you shouldn't need to cut any of your framework on the car. Like Fred said, go with weld-ins, theres plenty available that you shouldn't need to cut anything.
91GTA383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002   #4
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Exclamation

One more thing, I HIGHLY recommend subframe connectors because of the added fact that they give you an excellent jacking point for the car, instead of those flimsy "recommended" jacking points in your owner's manual. I think that one of the previous owners of my car jacked it up at those points and thereby cause the fender and lower ground effect on the passenger side to be bent out. It's not too noticeable but now the panels don't line up perfectly and it really pisses me off... Oh well, nothing a good body shop can't fix, right?

Old 05-26-2002   #5
fly89gta
Whistle of Death

subrames make HUGE difference, i have weld-in Southside Machine SFC's on my GTA. What a difference, i've seen spohn's in person, he makes a nice set as well.

~Tony
fly89gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002   #6
Darkside
F-Body Member

Smile thankyou for your help fred

I now know what to get for subframe connecters, it is the set made by spohn. Another question how do i get all of the all the sqeek's and creek's that still remain after i put on the connecters, and i need to know if any of you guy's have or know someone who makes on exact match of the tan upholstere in the GTA'S because i need a small piece for my seat. One more thing how do i delet my old post' if i go to the delet option it does not work.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002   #7
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well, there's no easy way around it... The squeaks and creeks that remain after putting in the subframes are the result of chassis flex from the time the car was driven before the subframes were put in. These are caused by parts that were knocked loose. What I did was to dissassemble the whole interior... and I mean the WHOLE thing. Seats, console, trim panels, you name it, I took it out. I checked for signs of wear at bolt holes, etc, and confirmed the holes weren't stretched or anything, and put everything back together tightly. Also put down a few layers of silicone and sound deadener in certain places. Got rid of most of the squeaks, and was pretty effective, but it is a LOT of work. It's not worth doing until you reinforce your whole chassis... subframes, strut tower brace, steering brace, etc... though it should be sufficient to do with just the subframes.

Old 06-09-2002   #8
hovrbord85
GTA Member

Hey just had a basic question on SFC's.

I know the purpose of them is to reduce chassis flex.
But what is this "huge" difference you all notice just in driving with them?

Same question for panhard bars & control arms.

Best place to buy all 3? Spohn?

Thanks!
hovrbord85 is offline   Reply With Quote