Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-09-2002   #61
f-crazy
GTA Member

please excuse my girls last 2 posts lol

when i replaced my fuel pump i think i bent the float arm and it didnt get sat completly in its little "valley" because im having pickup problems...when i go around tighter corners at speed it starves for fuel (surges and bogs)...after ive straightened it out i regain fuel pressure....now im really not looking forward to opening up my seal on the tank to get back into it but if i have to i will...
now my question is kinda related to NASCAR.....there cars have no fuel guages (E..1/2..F)so they use a pressure guage...i know theres pressure guages that mount on the dash..should i go this route because it will take alot more work to open up seal and the tank again then reseal it...if the pressure guage is the way to go then ill know how much fuel is in it cuz right now im goin by miles...and twice i was about 2 miles off (i put 6 gallons in it and at 18mpg thats 108 miles) i got about 105
but going to and from michigan as often as i do and the exits in pennslyvania are 8-10 miles apart this isnt the best idea
thanks guys
"CRAZY"
Old 06-10-2002   #62
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

Pressure has nothing to do with the volume of fuel in the tank.
Old 06-12-2002   #63
f-crazy
GTA Member

i see your point, but wouldnt the pressure start to decrease or atleast fluctuate when the volumn decreases?....
and also the car still runs quite rich, not really at idle but like 3/4 and on....i think the tps voltage is .74 at idle and 4.2 or something at WOT...
Old 06-12-2002   #64
DarionIV
Z/HAWK

Fuel (or any other kind of pressure for that matter is a function of pump output. As long as there is fuel in the tank the pump should put out the same flow rate. This combined with the size of the fuel line and the resistance provides pressure.
So as long as you have gas in your tank, it doesn't matter if it full, or 1/4 full, your fuel pressure will remain constant, as long as your pump is operating properly.
Webpage:www.angelfire.com/wa3/ivhorsepower
Manager:NorthwestCamaros

DarionIv
DarionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002   #65
f-crazy
GTA Member

so basically i have to open my tank again..
well..*sigh* i have nothing to do tomorrow...
how much are float assemblies?? i may have mucked it up when i changed my pump...if the float wont work then i have to "bend" the pickup to get a better delivery because it starves for fuel when going around tight corners and it NEVER did it before i changed it
"crazy"
Old 06-17-2002   #66
f-crazy
GTA Member

the other night when i was driving down the belt parkway my SES light came on...it stayed on for a little bit but the car didnt run n e different (no stuttering hesitation missing) i downshifted to 4th and floored it and the light went out...today i went to auto zone and got one fo those "code keys" that u put in the a&b port in the aldl to read the codes... it flashed the reaady code (12) 3 times and then flashed a code 45 thats a rich 02 sensor code...
my question is what else could it be other then that....my car needs a tune up (cap rotor plugs n wires) now could a weaker spark due to the cap and rotor corrosion not be burning all the fuel? and causing to much fuel in the exhaust...its not burnign gas to fast only a little on start up...drop me a line guys
"crazy"