Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-17-2002   #1
8t8GTATa
GTA Member

computer?

I have a little problem that needs some help. Just two days ago my 88 GTA had trouble starting. When i turned the key the fuel pump turned on, but there was no ignition. The starter didn't even turn at all. Now my car is sitting in the driveway not running any more. About 6 months ago the same thing happened and i had to buy a new ECM because i was told it was shot. It seem i might be in the same situaton. I'm thinking that my prom(hypertech) might be a peace of shit and is shorting out the computer. I'mopen to advice if anyone has it.

Dave
8t8GTATa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hmm, so when you turn the key, there is power, the fuel pump comes on and the motor doesn't crank whatsoever? Well, next time, check to see if your security light comes on and stays lit. My '91 GTA does the same thing sometimes when I try to remote start it. There is power but the engine won't turn over. If your security light stays lit, then it may not be your ECM but your VATS. If it does turn out to be your VATS, you could have a scarred key or the VATS system is going.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't hurt to check.

-Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002   #3
f-crazy
GTA Member

that happebd on my car the security stayed lit...and first it shut down the electical system theb the fuel...it was about $450 total