Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-10-2002   #1
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Question GTA & Salvage Yard

do not know if anyone will be interested in this or not. But I find it very interesting indeed about GTA's that I discovered today. I've been shopping for all my GTA needs at the same salvage yard since 1995. This is same yard I have mentioning in a previous postings. Steadily from 1995 until now, I estimate that about 3 to 4 GTA's have been ending up in this yard every year. About one year ago, I was talking with owner of this salvage yard about a GTA he having out in the yard. I explain to him that this type of model for Trans Am is somewhat limited. I point out that this particular GTA that I was commenting about was in pretty good shapes, considering that it did get alittle wrecked only on passenger side. He then explain to me that GTA is worth more in parts than to sell entire wrecked car as one. To me, I can see his logical thinking.

Now today, I am at same yard again doing my usual "looking for some parts that I may want or hard to finding pieces that I need" and I see another gta. I have seen this GTA before in the yard. It has been there for about one month. Over this time period, it's been picked over pretty good by customers. However, some of the interior parts are still there. This GTA is a flame red, t-top, 305 engine (manual transmissions). This car have no engine, transmissions, no emblems, no wheels, no dashboard, no steering column, no spoiler, etc. just to name a few items. The interior parts that this GTA does have is really in extremely bad shapes. I do not think it is GTA only from markings where emblems used to be. I notice in glove compartment, build/code sheet having the famous "Y84". You get the picture right....it going to take so much work to restore this one. But today as I am looking at this GTA, I see that yellow writing all over it saying "No parts - sold as one - do not touch." I ask owner about this and he tell me that someone out of state of California has purchased this GTA over webb and will be comming soon with flatbed style truck to take it away. I then asking the owner, "I remember you say that car is worth more sold in pieces than in one piece altogether." He acknowledges this and then explain to me that two people want to purchase this GTA as one piece. And the one who purchase it, doing so with dollar amount that is equal to the dollar amount if all the pieces were sold separately. This is how badly this person wanted this car.

As I driving home after this trip to Salvage yard, this situation stick in my mind. Because I own GTA and everyone on this site want's to know or at least would like to know if GTA is soon to be collector's value. I am thinking that this may possibly be a sign or indication that these GTA's are starting to become scarce and desired/popular. Yumiko
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002   #2
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Smile

Well, at least it's good to know that at least one other GTA may be restored. I live in the NYC area and most of the GTAs I see around here are sorely neglected by their owners. If I could, I would buy all these cars and restore them all to their former glory, as GTAs represented the upper echelon on the F-Body lineup. They had the classiest image of them all, and although they were boats, they held their own against similar cars, so I really commend the owner who is probably going to restore the car.

-Fred

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002   #3
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Skull & Crossbones

This car definitely the definition of "project" car. The car also having leather tan interiors. But it is so "thrashed". It looking like someone smoking in this car entire life of car. Leather interior is cracked and destroyed. Since it is raining season now, the interior of this car is soaked badly. So much water damage. It's too bad that the salvage yard has every car out in weather. If inside, these cars would hold up better. I always see nice carpets and interiors but then it rains and it ruins everything. Only reason this GTA have glove box there is because it's missing pieces. That is when I look inside and see the Y84. In this car also all carpet areas are stained, wore out with holes especially where heals of foot of driver are for clutch, brake, and gas peddle. I looked at this car many time before, only think I see I would take is gold bird emblem in center of tail light assembly. And the glass is all there too. So that is a good thing.

Yes, it will be nice that someone taking this car and saving it from "crusher". Maybe this person who purchase this GTA have a Trans Am already and now wants to put all their good parts into this GTA "shell." I guess that would work right. Yumiko.
Old 03-11-2002   #4
Goatman
Classic GTO Member

Any non T-top cars there? Check out my ad in the Wanted section.
Old 03-11-2002   #5
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

The only problem I see with getting a car that is from a wreaking yard or a car that has been totalled out is that you have to deal with getting a title for it. (A savage title) Which means you have to have it inspected by the state patrol. when you get one if you do every thing to the state pratrol specs, & you deside to sell it you might not get what you want for the car because it will carry that savage title until it once again ends up in a yard. You cant even drive this car until you have a title & its a pain in the a$$ to sell for other then parts after you have the car & you get tired of dealing with it.

Is dealing with that right now we have a 73 Type LT that was totalled that we have had for almost 3 yrs now.
Silver 2000 GP Daytona Pace car
Newest is a 67 C10 Step side short bed pick up.

2003 South area Rep: Pacific Northwest Camaro Club
www.pnwcc.com forums http://hpiv.net/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
Webpage: www.hpiv.net
Wife to Darioniv

Krazzy :krazy2:
Krazzycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002   #6
Goatman
Classic GTO Member

Yes, but you know what I want the car for, so that's not a problem. I wouldn't buy a car without a title. BTW, my daily driver and all the ones I've ever had for years have been salvage titles. Why? Because when I'm done with them, they're ready to be thrown away anyway (120 miles a day to work and back).

Hints on dealing with Salvage Title Cars:

Donate them to a non-profit organization. The IRS currently does not check for salvage titles when you write off the value of the car. So write off the full book value and you'll at least get a tax break.

If the car is totalled or stolen, the insurance gives you full book value for the car. They don't discount the insurance premium when you put the car on the road, don't take any shit from them about it when its thier turn to pay you. Threaten arbitration and they'll fold every time.

Just a few helpful hints. Don't ask me how I know about the last one.
Old 03-11-2002   #7
gtayumiko
GTA Member

First, yes, this salvage yard has about 20 trans am/firebirds - 2 are gta(one sold as one and the other a fully hard top style, 1 firebird is converable (the top is in very nice shape and the interior pieces in back are in nice shapes too, 1 of the car's is a formula (the one I get yellow fin from). The rest of them are half t-top style and fully hard top style. I would estimate about 20 trans ams in catagory of 82 to 91. They also having about ten 95 and newer too! Can you believe that? Maybe one still having dealer sticker where license plate was supposed to go. The owner say that is his favorite kind of wreck to come to this yard. They also having about 50 camero's various years. Yumiko
Old 03-12-2002   #8
Goatman
Classic GTO Member

Where is this junk yard located?
Old 03-12-2002   #9
gtayumiko
GTA Member

This wrecking yard is in San Jose California, notice what other junkyard you know of with palm trees,,,hee hee (reference some photos on their webb site). Check them out on net @ www.gmsportssalvage.com

phone: 408 765-8498 fax: 408 432-8784

They having pretty much everything you need or want for pontiac autos.

You are interested in fixing car up to use as daily driver. Well, I can relate to daily driver because I have a Mitsu-shitty for my daily driver. Yumiko