Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-13-2002   #1
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

Question Centers

I THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING SOME CHROME CENTER CAPS WITH THE GOLD BIRDS IN THEM OFF THE INTERENET WOULD THE CHROME CLASH WITH THE WHEELS? OR BUYING THE WS6 STICKERS AND TAKING OUT THE GOLD BIRDS AND PUTING THEM IN THERE?
THANKS TOMMY
tommydodso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002   #2
intake68
GTA Member

....personally I think it realy adds to the car keeping the center cap and lug nut caps black, but to each his own. The WS-6 emblems in the center caps are not stickers, but actually plastic disks that can be removed from the center cap itself. This is why they can be purchased seperately from the dealer for 10 bucks a piece. Also American Racing sells the center caps, which beats paying 125 per cap from GM. They run about 20 bucks a cap and are identical pieces designed as replacements for the 16" crosslace rim whether it be GTA's, Formula's or T/A's. What I am getting at is its not too expensive to replace all the hardware on our rims and it sure sets the rim off as well. I had my rims professionally repainted and spun and then covered with a new product like a clearcoat for protection that never really dulled the aluminum after it was applied. I added new Dunlop SP9000's with all new caps, lug nuts, centers, ect. The whole thing ran about 2000 canadian, but damn does that look nice on the car. I also had a pearl added to the gold on the rims to really give an active look to them in the sunlight. Just my opinion, but stick with what you have and don't add the chrome or gold centers. Have a good one!!
intake68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002   #3
OkadaKimC
B-Body Member

When I had my 88, I was a traditionalist and the "bird" is and always will be just in black and red. Even though the wheels are gold, the chrome caps with black/red bird from the 81 turbo is what I ran. My 88 was Dark Grey Metalic, so it kinda transitioned the colors.
OkadaKimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #4
89GTAlover

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo
Re: Centers

Sorry for a newbie question, but what better place to get a solid answer?

I just picked up an '89 TTA. The center cap is the bird version. The RPO code shows WS6.

Which center caps did the TTAs come with? I'm wondering now, since this car seems to have been modded more than I was led to believe.

Thanks in advance for any help.
89GTAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #5
87350gtanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTAlover View Post
Sorry for a newbie question, but what better place to get a solid answer?

I just picked up an '89 TTA. The center cap is the bird version. The RPO code shows WS6.

Which center caps did the TTAs come with? I'm wondering now, since this car seems to have been modded more than I was led to believe.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The TTA came with the WS-6 cap the gold bird cap was only available on the 87'GTA
87350gtanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #6
87350gtanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydodso View Post
I THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING SOME CHROME CENTER CAPS WITH THE GOLD BIRDS IN THEM OFF THE INTERENET WOULD THE CHROME CLASH WITH THE WHEELS? OR BUYING THE WS6 STICKERS AND TAKING OUT THE GOLD BIRDS AND PUTING THEM IN THERE?
THANKS TOMMY
Think its really your call but like others I like the black cap with the black lug nut covers doesn't take anything away from the gold crosslace wheel in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2014   #7
89GTAlover

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87350gtanj View Post
The TTA came with the WS-6 cap the gold bird cap was only available on the 87'GTA
Thanks for the speedy and spot on reply. Even with all the "gotchas" to watch out for on this site re authentic TTAs the center cap was something I overlooked. I'll probably just go ahead and get some reproduction caps to bring it closer to original, but I can see now that it won't be worth my time (and especially money) to try to get it back to stock.

Really appreciate the help.
89GTAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #8
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: Custom

Quote:
Didn't the gold bird center cap come on all GTA's?
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #9
87350gtanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsonGTA View Post
Didn't the gold bird center cap come on all GTA's?
Nope just the 87's 88-92 saw the ws-6 cap.
Old 07-29-2014   #10
86TA355SR

Quote:
Some early '88s had the bird emblems also. They were left overs from the 87 line.

Not trying to sharp shoot anyone, just thought some others would find it valuable information.

My 88 was built in Sep 87, has single cat, non-vats and the bird emblems on the center caps.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote