Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 02-12-2002   #21
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

We don't have to drive them every day. Which causes longer intervals between repairs.
Old 02-12-2002   #22
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Unhappy

Well, it's sad, but yes, there does come a point where a car crosses that point of no return, when it can not be repaired or restored. So sorry to hear that it's your GTA that turned out like this. As the years go on, there are fewer and fewer third gens that you see on the road. Especially GTAs. If I had the cash and the space, I'd take your car and try to restore it myself but as it stands, I don't. I'd advise you to try and find another one that's led a good life, but I can see you're really determined to get something reliable. Good luck in your future purchase, and I hope your next car treats you well.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002   #23
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred91GTA
Well, it's sad, but yes, there does come a point where a car crosses that point of no return, when it can not be repaired or restored. So sorry to hear that it's your GTA that turned out like this. As the years go on, there are fewer and fewer third gens that you see on the road. Especially GTAs. If I had the cash and the space, I'd take your car and try to restore it myself but as it stands, I don't. I'd advise you to try and find another one that's led a good life, but I can see you're really determined to get something reliable. Good luck in your future purchase, and I hope your next car treats you well.

I would love to get my hands again on another 3 gen firebird I loved driving mine (it looked so much like KITT) but it would have to be a 91 or 92 I love that nose on the car.
Silver 2000 GP Daytona Pace car
Newest is a 67 C10 Step side short bed pick up.

2003 South area Rep: Pacific Northwest Camaro Club
www.pnwcc.com forums http://hpiv.net/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
Webpage: www.hpiv.net
Wife to Darioniv

Krazzy :krazy2:
Krazzycowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002   #24
gtayumiko
GTA Member

A point of no return. Yes, you are too correct. I see this type of GTA or T/A many times before. That is why I am so demanding and only purchase parts factory from GM. I am so thankfull that I have these frame of mind when things started to go wrong in 1995. I've taken close up look under hood at GTA's that have had many previous owners and that have had many factory parts changed and replaced with aftermarket parts and what not. After so long of "cutting corners" as one guy posted on this thread, it's just too late to really restore without selling your house to do it. Well is it necessary and worth it? No, but I can say that with this car this guy wants to sell, someone like me or others that have a GTA they are wanting to restore, this car he is selling will make a good parts car. And this guy who selling car also mention that it's "nickle and diming" him. True when the car is at the "point of no return" Thank you fred for such nice wordings. That's why every bolt, every screw, every hose and everything I put into my GTA is factory. If I didn't do it that way, I would be at the point of no return with my GTA probably now that I've taken out the engine and transmissions failed. One last note: Look on the road and see all the new cars out there. I can be honest with you, I don't see too many making it 15 years. Yumiko
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002   #25
MY91Y84
GTA Member

Wink

Please keep in mind that these cars were not built the way that they are now. If you get better than 100k miles on one of these engines, you are doing pretty good. If you don't beat on it constantly, and keep up with your routine maintenence, you might even get almost 150,000 out of it.
With a twisted frame, you would only be fair to ask for about $1000 if the interior is mint. Not to mention that you shouldn't be "slightly bumping" into things anyway.
As far as the space under the hood goes, remember that the A/C components and plumbing take up alot of space. Also, if you cut your engine down to four cylinders and turned the motor sideways (like in the Honda), you would have just as much space.
Yes, GM could have improved on a number of things but, it is so much fun when you spend half as much money on mods and completely blow away these little imports with their turbos, boost gauges, and silly carnival lighting packages. Right?
MY91Y84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002   #26
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Good point made here. My '91 GTA has about 45,000 miles on it and the engine is completely trouble free. I have a good feeling she'll go to at least 125,000 miles. Besides, that engine in it's current config ain't staying long in there anyway. Building it up to a 383 some time in the DISTANT future.

Old 02-12-2002   #27
MY91Y84
GTA Member

Are you the original owner? It sounds like you take very good care of your car. I hope that your luck stays good. I have a 91 also, but unfortunately a kid who didn't care had it before I did and didn't take care of it worth a crap. I found live subwoofer cable under the carpet, vacuum tank "mounted" under the hood with zip strips, and many other things more to take up my weekends(not that there aren't worse thing to be doing). The bad part is that we don't find everything that is wrong until we get home and start poking around or until something goes bad. Oh well, the things we do for love huh.
Old 02-13-2002   #28
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Angry

Actually, I'm the FOURTH owner of the car. I picked up the car in August of 2000 with 38,500 miles on it. Little things have gone wrong with the car, like the busted power antenna, Factory CD player died on me, and one of the previous owners didn't know how to jack up the car, so the passenger side fender/door alignment is screwed up, but slowly but surely, all the problems will be remedied. Unfortunately, tragedy has struck as I found out within the last hour that my car's fallen victim to some vandalism. Lowlifes, probably teens from the local gang, broke into my apartment building's garage and cannabalized 3 cars and were on mine when the police showed up. they were able to get away, with the parts. Mostly the lower parts were taken... wheels, brakes, steering arms, etc. Luckily, I have the old stock parts that I had replaced so I can get the car running again... but if and when I catch those mother*******... they're going to have hell to pay from my personal lawyer... The law offices of 9mm and baseball bat... I'm looking at $2000 worth of damages

I have a lot planned for this car. I already have the overhead roof console, building a 383 in the future, complete suspension upgrade, and HAD the 1LE brake upgrade until those bastards showed up. Only in New freakin York....

-Fred

Old 02-13-2002   #29
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

Fred, If you need anything just Let us know we got a lot of inside stuff for Camaros running around this place. Already told Darion that the stuff has to be gone by this time next year or its going to the Corvette swap meet next Feb. lol that will leave space for the cars & the parts we want to have around.

Wife to Darioniv

Old 02-13-2002   #30
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

WELL HERE'S MY STORY I FOUND MY 88 GTA FLAME RED 350 D/DASH IN TAMPA FL. WELL I AM IN MERIDIAN MS. I FLEW FROM MERIDIAN MS, OUT AT 630A.M. CONNECTED IN MEMPHIS AT 1045A.M. LANDED IN TAMPA FL AT 1145A.M. THE GUY PICKED ME UP IN IT. WELL WE WENT TO HIS HOUSE I LOOKED IT OVER REAL GOOD AND BOUGHT IT. I LEFT HIS HOUSE AROUND 230P.M. AND AFTER 810MILES 13 HOURS DRIVE LATER I WALKED BACK IN MY HOUSE IN MERIDIAN MS WITH AT 300A.M. BUT THERE WERE A FEW THINGS I HAD TO FIX AND ONE THING I STILL NEED TO FIX. LIKE FLAMPS THE CRUISE SWITCH ON THE COLUMN I FIXED BUT I STILL HAVE NOT FIXED MY COLD START PROBLEM I BELIEVE ITS TURNED OUT TO BE THE FUEL PRESSURE REG. OR THE MAIN COMPUTER IN THE CAR. I DON'T KNOW. BUT TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE DEALER. IF YOU DID NOT. SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT ABOUT YOUR UNFORTUNATE MISFORTUNE. MY CAR HAS BEEN A DAILY DRIVER SINCE I GOT IT. BUT THINGS TEAR UP WHEN THEY GET OLD. GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT YOU DO.
TOMMY
tommydodso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002   #31
DarionIV
Z/HAWK

My wife's 87 IROC has 128K on it and drives like a dream. My old one had about 167K at the time of the accident. I mean you can't blame the fact that the car is no longer on the road on it, just the guy driving that dang truck.

About aftermarket parts, I guess it depends on what kind of parts you buy. Remember there are huge differences in quality depending on what company makes the part. We run things like K&N filters, Edelbrock/BBK throttle bodies, Taylor spark plug wires.
It isn't cutting costs if you buy quality parts and ensure the maintenance is done right.

A large point to remember is that if you take good care of it, the car can last for years and a huge number of miles.

Krazzy does drive hers daily during the spring to fall months. She was putting 50-75 miles everyday going to work and we never had problems with daily driving.

89GTA, I understand your frustration and if that car is driving you nuts and broke, get rid of it. Find yourself something that will put a smile on your face. And, have fun.

Just try to remember, any time you buy a used car, you just might be inheriting someone else's headaches.
Webpage:www.angelfire.com/wa3/ivhorsepower
Manager:NorthwestCamaros

DarionIv
DarionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002   #32
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Hey thanks for the offer Krazzycowgirl. I was pretty lucky, most of the parts taken off my car were all aftermarket stuff, and I still have the original parts lying around at home. The only things I'd need to get my car up and running again are rims and tires which i'll get this weekend. However, if you guys have an IROC or Z28 airbox, I'd be happy to buy that off you guys. Well, the police are still looking for the bastards... but I think from now on I'll keep my GTA at my aunt's house, and keep a clunker in the apartment building garage. :-(

Old 02-13-2002   #33
91GTACS1
GTA Member

Well I went to college for five years riding around on a used bicycle and eating PBandJ. They payed for college as long as I kept my grades up. When my five years of being a hermit were over. People called me up and offered me enough to buy a GTA and other toys as well as enough to pay the bills.
91GTACS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002   #34
91GTACS1
GTA Member

Thats how I afforded my GTA to answer the question asked earlier in the thread.
91GTACS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002   #35
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred91GTA
Hey thanks for the offer Krazzycowgirl. I was pretty lucky, most of the parts taken off my car were all aftermarket stuff, and I still have the original parts lying around at home. The only things I'd need to get my car up and running again are rims and tires which i'll get this weekend. However, if you guys have an IROC or Z28 airbox, I'd be happy to buy that off you guys. Well, the police are still looking for the bastards... but I think from now on I'll keep my GTA at my aunt's house, and keep a clunker in the apartment building garage. :-(
Will ask Darion what we got I dont know if his servived the car wreck will also will look around the local junk yards here for two of them one for mine (making it a ram Air through the fog lamps)

Wife to Darioniv

Old 02-13-2002   #36
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Cool, thanks. There aren't many wrecked Z28s or IROCs in the junkyards around here. I'm expecting the insurance guys to reimburse me some... (yeah, right... insurance... what a rip-off) Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2002   #37
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

Well it seems that we can get both anytime of the day here. the Local junk yards always seem to have at lease 1 or 10 of them around here. you need the 350 air box right???? (like mine)

Wife to Darioniv

Old 02-13-2002   #38
gtayumiko
GTA Member

Angry

I've posted few times on this thread thinking I wouldn't any more....but then I read what happen to Mr. Fred's GTA. I am so angry for you! But may I assure you it isn't only happening in New York like I think you mentioning. It also happen in my area (Bay Area CA) too! My car become vandalize too, nothing like your situation, but never the less, I come outside one time and some one scratching my entire fin with some strange markings. I just figure some kids do it but then I have friend who speak spanish and he tell me that it's the name of a gang in spanish. My friend tell to me that this gang key my car because my color of car is not right. He tell me that I need to paint my car blue and then it will be o.k. Paint my car?.....No I just moved to better area! So for you fred......Those Bastards! Yumiko
gtayumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002   #39
MY91Y84
GTA Member

I can't believe that they went so far as to take your control arms. I can't stand those gang bangin punks. They actually took over my old neighborhood and I moved because I was tired of getting harrassed everytime I went outside. But when they aren't in a group they're not as tough. As long as you keep you threats of retalliation vague the law will stay on your side. It sucks when you have to pay extra for a parking garage and your car still isn't safe. What did your management say and do to take care of this situation?
Old 02-13-2002   #40
Krazzycowgirl
Female Dragster

thats one thing about where we Live at its nice & Quiet older families not many kids (abad thing for my kids) but also alot of Military ppl so they dont stick around long (lol Grew up army)

Wife to Darioniv