Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-24-2002   #21
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

I guess you could do that--but then you'd have to splice into the brake light also--well-some of the rear lights(tail lights)have the brake and parking light on the same circuit-but I've never done something like that before. You'd have to get the-1157 bulb I think for the pontiac--but if you just put in one bulb I don't think the lighting would be evenly distributed--unless-you put some kind of metal reflector in it--like what the fogs have--or put more then one bulb in it--but also be aware of the heat factor now--just like those 3rd gen brake lights(rear glass-91-92) melt.
If you decide to do that(splice using the brake light)--have plenty of fuses on hand--I'm sure you'll be blowing out a few by trial and error. Hope I didn't confues you a little.
Tonyrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002   #22
f-crazy
GTA Member

what about like a 15 or an 18 inch flouresent light behind a red peice of plastic?
i see your online lol
f-crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002   #23
f-crazy
GTA Member

ok today i took the lenses off to see what i had to work with....theres a hollow right were the pontiac emblem is, almost like they wanted me to do this lol...i also located the plate light connection so i will able to splice into that if thats how im going to do it...im also wondering if i can run 2 wires one from the lights and on from the brake light...(on the same side to a bulb or what i use to light it).i thkn the hardest part will be cutting out the pontiac part...what would be the most effective way to splice into the wires?
i knew there was a reason i had a good feeling about this...i really think im going to be able to get this to work
"crazy"
Old 01-24-2002   #24
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Arrow

I'm not really sure about the flourescent light idea==I've never messed w/those before--but I'm pretty sure they don't throw off any heat. You can splice into the lights using those(forgot what you call them)blue crimping type things-they have a small piece of metal in it--kind of piggy backs the hot wire--I agree about the cutting--I don't have a clue on what would be the easiest way to cut it! Dremel maybe? But whatever you use make sure you outline where you want to cut first!! You definitely don't want to mess up those lights!!
Keep us posted!
Old 01-29-2002   #25
f-crazy
GTA Member

update

ok i know what im going to do...i bought 2 brake light sockets from the dealer some tail light repair tape (the see throught red shit) a dremel and 18 guage wire...i work at home depot so its basically a toy stop at my disposal so im also gonna buy some reflective metal like whats is the tail lenses so the light will be evenly distributed...the dremel (of many uses) tool comes with a bit that drills and cuts so it will be tough to cut it out with the cutter bit so im gonna drill "pilot" holes around the perimeter of the pontiac then use that bit the cut out the rest.....the put the tape behind it...and mount the sockets to the metal and splcie them directly into the brake lights....3 wires going into the brake lights 3 wires going to my sockets....i got everything i need except for the sockets i orderd them yesterday
ill keep you guys posted and make sure i got my instructions down pat so i can inform n e one wanting to do it =)
"crazy"
Old 01-29-2002   #26
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Exclamation

ok--sounds like a plan--but--make sure that the tape is away from the heat of the bulbs(it'll melt) and be careful when you cut w/the dremel--if you go too fast the plastic that you're cutting will melt! Don't forget now--We all love pics!!
Old 01-31-2002   #27
f-crazy
GTA Member

still waiting on the sockets...the guy said at the dealer that if there supplier had them in stock it would be 2 days but they didnt it would be longer...i cant wait to get this goin....i saw that link that fred posted with the back of that white 92 and the pontiac was painted on still and it looks bad ass...i cant wait to see it lit up
ill keep ya posted
"crazy"
Old 01-31-2002   #28
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

You might want to try the help section in the auto store. Back in 94 I put some T/A lights on my 89 Formula(1st one) And I was able to find some sockets in the help section--worth a shot.
Old 02-01-2002   #29
f-crazy
GTA Member

update

today i got my sockets and went to work....the sockets came with the 3 wires that hook up (the hot. light and brake).when i first tried it i spliced all 3 wires to the ones hooked up...were it would light up and get brighter when i stepped on the brakes...it worked 1 time then blew a fuse...i replaced the fuse and turned the lights on and wasnt going to step on the brake but the fuse blew again..i undid the splice and then the wires touched and blew the fuse again i was like opps lol...i was about to call it quits because i was thinking about splicing into the plate light but thats on the same circuit as the tail lamps but then i thought well if i just splice it into the lights...so thats what i did...theres 3 wires a black a brown and a blue...the blue is the brake light the brown is the lights and the black is the power...so i spliced it into the black and the brown and both sides lit up and i didnt blow the fuse so i got it to work!!!
the next day off i got (monday) im gonna do the tail lenses thne hook up everything so itll be done..
i knew this would work!!!!
im such a bad ass lol
"crazy"
Old 02-01-2002   #30
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Great! Gotta finish up now so we all can enjoy the fruits of your labor! PICS!!
Old 02-04-2002   #31
f-crazy
GTA Member

today i started on the cutting out part..the only problem ive run into is that the "p" is directly behind one of the mounts on the back oof my lenses that hold it to the car....now today when i was doen i put 2 knobs to hold them on and they were pretty stiiff with just 2 knobs...so im thinking about just cuttin it off from both sides..ill still have 4 holding them on so i think thats what im gonna do...i should of gotten 2 batteries for my dremel i did hours of cutting but waited 6 for the damn battery to charge lol...ill have to finish it on my next day off...ill keep ya posted
"crazy"
Old 02-06-2002   #32
f-crazy
GTA Member

ok what i did is cut off a little aroundf the bottom of it so its still there but the light will shine through....im doing some more tonite so ill keep you posted..
Old 02-06-2002   #33
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Ever notice the newer Sunbirds? Too bad you can't use that lettering somehow! They light up exactly what you're trying to do!
Old 02-07-2002   #34
f-crazy
GTA Member

i kinda messed up the c and t but its hardly noticable.. i notice it because i did it...this shit is no joke..its a lot more involed then i could imagine...the plastic is alomst a 1/2 inch thick and one "slip" could screw it up (in my case 2 small ones)...im done with "tiac" and i started the p but im wating for my dremel to charge (should of bought the corded one)....i should be done with it tomorrow (hopefully without n e more #$%@ up's)...this is a lot tougher then i thought..but even though i messed up a little its still gonna be a one of a kind kinda thing...how many people have done this?? or had the balls to try it?...i may have messed up a little but atleast i had the balls to try it knowing those lenses or prolly over $100 a peice hell the sockets were 20 a peice..ill take pics tomorrow
later guys...im off to do some more cutting
"crazy"
Old 02-07-2002   #35
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

Like you said--at least you had the balls!!! Do you have step by step pics? That would be pretty cool!
The lights are alot more then $100 per side!!! Did you see any sunbirds around? For the rear "Pontiac"?
Old 02-08-2002   #36
Tim88GTA
GTA Member

Smile Shiney Rims

About the chrome on your rims looking like they have a film on them, they are clearcoated and after time they start to look like shit. If you take a powerful paint remover and wipe it on the chrome and let it soak in for a while it should take the clearcoat off. Be sure to mask off all of the gold spoke part of the rim to avoid wrecking the gold color. Then after you are done you should be able to use polish on the chrome and bring back the shine.
Tim88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002   #37
Tonyrodz
GM Enthusiast

What happens when you strip off the clear and polish? Do you have to clear again? What happens if you don't?
Got a spare set of GTA wheels that the clear is shot-gonna do the entire rim--paint too!
Old 02-09-2002   #38
f-crazy
GTA Member

goddamn this post has 394 views lol...*pats myself on the back*
im almost done with the cutting should be tonite..
Old 02-10-2002   #39
f-crazy
GTA Member

done with the cutting.its shitty outside so i cant take out my lenses out to hook it all together...if its nice tomorrow ill have it done and take some pics
ill let you guys know
Old 02-11-2002   #40
Tim88GTA
GTA Member

I suppose you could put clear coat back on the rims, they would probably be easier to clean. If you don't you just have to polish the chrome more often.
Tim88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote